Old 15 April 2021, 11:12   #1

Town: Halesworth
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 40hp
New Rib on the North Suffolk Coast

Hi all,

Just bought a Zodiac Pro 4.2 with a 40hp Yamaha engine. I'm an Ex keelboat sailor, looking for a different experience and looking forward to her maiden voyage. Any tips on cruising the Essex/ Suffolk estuaries and potentially dawdling through the Norfolk Broads welcome !

Small technical issue I would be grateful for some advice on.
Is there a method mooring up close enough to the shore on tidal waters without getting beached, or very wet. Had in mind the systems used in fishing ports to retrieve small boats with a system of lines. Any thoughts- printable ones only please?

Cheers,

Ex sailor Ted.
Old 15 April 2021, 11:41   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Hi Ted and welcome.

Last year I purchased an 'Anchor Buddy' from Boatworld. By all accounts they work great but I've yet to try it. The year before I did it with ropes but had lots of confusion, time and effort trying to rig it right. All I need now is a second anchor for the shoreline.
Old 15 April 2021, 13:47   #3

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
I do it as follows but at risk of stating the obvious this method only works with an offshore breeze & swell direction.

Pick your anchoring spot, stop over it and check depth of water.

Neatly flake out the required length of anchor warp on the deck of the boat and make fast to your cleat.

Attach a really long, non-floating line to the crown of the anchor as your shore line. If you have a small kedge anchor, attach it to the end of your shore line as your beach anchor

Place the anchor on the bow tube

Motor direct to the beach, engine off & up, don't forget to take the keys out! Take the end of the shore line with you.

Give the boat a really good shove back out to sea whilst paying out the shore line.

When the boat reaches your anchoring point, give the shore line a good tug and "plop" your anchor will fall over the side with the warp paying out behind [emoji4]

Wait for your boat to settle onto the anchor and retreat up the beach with your shore line to looks of "he's don't that before...." from the other less dry boaters on the beach

To recover, just pull in the shore line anchor and warp until your boat arrives on the beach
Old 15 April 2021, 17:05   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-sailor Ted View Post
Hi all,

Just bought a Zodiac Pro 4.2 with a 40hp Yamaha engine. I'm an Ex keelboat sailor, looking for a different experience and looking forward to her maiden voyage. Any tips on cruising the Essex/ Suffolk estuaries and potentially dawdling through the Norfolk Broads welcome !

Small technical issue I would be grateful for some advice on.
Is there a method mooring up close enough to the shore on tidal waters without getting beached, or very wet. Had in mind the systems used in fishing ports to retrieve small boats with a system of lines. Any thoughts- printable ones only please?

Cheers,

Ex sailor Ted.
Hi Ted ,we are out of levington and the Deben ,usually in the week ,usually doing the deben or orwell ,or walton backwaters ,maybe orford but looking forward to adding southwold harbour for a beer !!

Tags
rib