Old 18 July 2024, 13:33   #1

Town: creston
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 60hp 2 strok
New to Rib

Hi all, I just acquired a new to me small vessel. It is a 1992 Zodiac Cherokee 4800 that was made in Canada. It has been on the same body of water all its life (Kootenay Lake). So yesterday I got it out for its fist spin on the lake and notice a fairly sizeable blister at the bow right beside a patch, seemed to be on the top layer only, what advice for repair can you give me?
I would love to extend the life of it prior to have to invest in new tubes...This lake does not freeze over in winter and I am planning to use it year round to access remote trails, fishing and hunting spots.
Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	145621  
Old 18 July 2024, 13:55   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
It probably didn't have an internal patch, and that would be required for a patch as big as the one we can see. It looks like separation of the fabric layers and he air is inflating the outer layer. It can be fixed, but it'll require a bigger patch now and it'll need to be patched internally too.
Old 18 July 2024, 13:59   #3

Thank you, I will contact the local shop to see if they have the necessary stuff.
Old 19 July 2024, 16:09   #4

Thanks for the reply, I finally managed to reach a very helpful gentleman who makes a career repairing inflatables on the west coast. Talking to him brought heavenly relief, now I know we didn't buy a used dud!
The repair will be simple, basically we puncture a pin hole in the outer layer and no more blister, it won't get any bigger either. Therefore allowing us to use it until the weather cools down to do the patching.
For the repair, we will cut out the delaminated outer layer and patch 3" bigger than the edge of the cut out. Simple as that, he said we won't need a interior patch.
The Zodiac has been fantastic to get use to, man those dime turns are fun!!!
Old 19 July 2024, 19:36   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjme View Post
///a very helpful gentleman who makes a career repairing inflatables on the west coast.///
Hard to beat the experience that comes from learning your Trade sewing Inflatables in BC...

I'm sure User name will concur
Old 19 July 2024, 20:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hard to beat the experience that comes from learning your Trade sewing Inflatables in BC...

I'm sure User name will concur
I'm not sure what you mean.
Old 19 July 2024, 20:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjme View Post
Thanks for the reply, I finally managed to reach a very helpful gentleman who makes a career repairing inflatables on the west coast. Talking to him brought heavenly relief, now I know we didn't buy a used dud!
The repair will be simple, basically we puncture a pin hole in the outer layer and no more blister, it won't get any bigger either. Therefore allowing us to use it until the weather cools down to do the patching.
For the repair, we will cut out the delaminated outer layer and patch 3" bigger than the edge of the cut out. Simple as that, he said we won't need a interior patch.
The Zodiac has been fantastic to get use to, man those dime turns are fun!!!
Fingers crossed it's that simple. With the size of that visible patch though, it should have an internal one also. It looks a bit DIY too, with the lifting edges, excess glue etc.
Old 19 July 2024, 20:43   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
I'm not sure what you mean.
It's tough territory out west! A man who makes his mark there can come home and focus on inland boating.
Old 19 July 2024, 22:05   #9

It is practical to have a few different knowledge sources for sure, but yah ultimately I will trust the career craftsman who came referred by top manufacturers.
He is shipping the necessary repair material except the MEK of course and is including a detailed instruction sheet. Just his trick of pinning the blister is allowing us to enjoy this 32 years old rib! With hours on the lake so far, no noticeable deflation.
Worst case, if the new patch that will be done in the future start leaking, I can always redo it starting with a interior one. Stay bond is the only glue he recommends as well . And we will apply a uv protector to the whole shebang, should get sweet memories for years hopefully.
He has seen pvc rib lasting 50 years so we are hopefull hey!

Tags
blister, delamination, repair, rib