Old 30 September 2018, 09:02   #1

Town: Maidstone
Length: no boat
Returning to Ribbing

After many years off the water, our daughter is now old enough to start enjoying sea life.
I used to run a Northern Diver Osprey with a 100 Suzuki back in the 90s, great fun for a bunch of 20 y/o on a mission to go anywhere and ski anything. Since then, wives arrived, kids came along and everyone took up biking (the proper kind with a motor).
I dabbled with a Zodiac Futura and Yamaha 40hp 10 years ago when our daughter was 3-4y/o but it was too slow and although I learnt in one it didn't really fulfil my expectations or skin my increase weight very well.
So the wife given permission to spend £3k (should get that in writing really) and the Land Rover is up for sale so I may invest more.
Old 30 September 2018, 11:14   #2

Length: 5m +
Welcome! Maybe a Searider? What would you like to use the boat for and with how many people?
Old 30 September 2018, 11:15   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Good for you!
Welcome to Ribnet!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 19:22   #4

Town: surrey
Length: 4m +
Sr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel888 View Post
After many years off the water, our daughter is now old enough to start enjoying sea life.
I used to run a Northern Diver Osprey with a 100 Suzuki back in the 90s, great fun for a bunch of 20 y/o on a mission to go anywhere and ski anything. Since then, wives arrived, kids came along and everyone took up biking (the proper kind with a motor).
I dabbled with a Zodiac Futura and Yamaha 40hp 10 years ago when our daughter was 3-4y/o but it was too slow and although I learnt in one it didn't really fulfil my expectations or skin my increase weight very well.
So the wife given permission to spend £3k (should get that in writing really) and the Land Rover is up for sale so I may invest more.
Hi mate my searider sr4 still for sale on here bit more than £3k tho Reece
Old 30 September 2018, 21:19   #5

Town: Cardiff
£3k is going need some careful planning that futura would probably cost that now.....

Especially if you want to travel at speed 3+ up! Good lick with the hunt, I end up spending double that and it isn’t even a rib..... to get similar performance I would be looking at spending £10k+ (realistically more like £15k...)
Old 01 October 2018, 21:51   #6

Town: Maidstone
Uses and passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
Welcome! Maybe a Searider? What would you like to use the boat for and with how many people?
Initial use will be to teach daughter boating, mainly Medway and Thames estuary area. Some slow exploring, some knee board, tube, skiing. General messing about on the river.

Normally three of us but probably adding friends for the nicer days, so 5 on average.

Been offered a Valiant 520 but know nothing about them. Probably need to increase budget to about 6k to get 5m ish with a decent engine rig.
Old 01 October 2018, 23:23   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Returning to Ribbing

You’ll not regret getting your hands on another vintage Osprey, but you already know that, and if you can find one ! I certainly don’t regret buying mine and tweaking it for the family. Sorry, not for sale [emoji4]. Good luck in your search and hope you get out on the water soon [emoji1303]
[ATTACH]127136
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	127136  
Old 02 October 2018, 06:27   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel888 View Post
Initial use will be to teach daughter boating, mainly Medway and Thames estuary area. Some slow exploring, some knee board, tube, skiing. General messing about on the river.

Normally three of us but probably adding friends for the nicer days, so 5 on average.

Been offered a Valiant 520 but know nothing about them. Probably need to increase budget to about 6k to get 5m ish with a decent engine rig.
I have had 2 Valiants & find them good sturdy well made boats
Old 03 October 2018, 06:28   #9

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
ill second that folk reckoned the semi v hull of my valiant would be no good in a bit of chop but to be honest I don't go out if the wind is over 12mph maybe gusting to 20mph ( I have been caught out and the weathers got quite disturbing and iv never felt concerned ) quite beamy so plenty of room for passengers goes well with my 100 mercury.
I think it depends on what you want from it if your planning on white water extreme wave jumping maybe something else . but if its just something for occasional messing about with the family on nice days you could do worse than the valiant
Old 03 October 2018, 11:46   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
There's a Ribtec 585 for sale on the IOW for £7995.
Over budget but looks like a bargain.
have seen it on facebook.

Tags
rib