Old 26 May 2004, 11:59   #1

Town: Wigan
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60hp
Advice on 5.1 Tornado

After all the good advice that was offered, we decieded against buying the 5.2metre Osprey. Have now looked at very clean 5.1 Tornado, with 60hp Mercury,gps, a-frame etc, on snipe trailer, claimed to be deep-v, but looks more like medium- v to me. Its a 1993 boat, and wants £6250, any advice,comments welcome,you were spot on last time!
Old 26 May 2004, 23:18   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
What year is the engine? Do you know if its a Tornado/Tornado Viking. Beware that up until about 3-4 yrs ago (i'm not very sure of the exact date!)
tornado's PU tubes were glued and not thermobonded as they are now. I have heard of quite a few problems with tube seams coming undone on older boats.

I would consider this if I were you.

http://www.buyaboat.co.uk/boatdetail...srefno=2253600

Its a new 5.5m Tornado with GPS/ VHF/ Fishfinder & A-frame. It will have thermobonded seams. The Tornado Deep V gives a very comfortable dry ride and performs very well in the rough. Fair enough the engine on this one is a bit old (Suzuki 100hp 1991), but you could just run it until it breaks, (which might not happen) and then you'll still have a nice new boat to put a nice new Opti, I mean engine on.

He's asking 7950 but both you and I know you'll get it for less than that! I would stay away from the 1993 boat, it will be worthless if you ever want to sell on, whereas at least with something newer you're not throwing money away!!

Just my opinion anyway. Good luck with the search!

Edit: this may not be a new boat after looking on lymington marine sales. Worth checking though, I'm not sure
Old 26 May 2004, 23:48   #3

Tornado

swginn, thanks for that, the motor is a 93, the whole package is 1993, all looks very original and looked after, a-frame is alluminium,not stainless, the tubes look in realy good condition, not scuffed or faded atall, but you'v got me worried now, anybody on the forum had this problem with a tornado?
Old 27 May 2004, 00:03   #4

tornado

swiggin, in answer to your other question,its a tornado not a viking. the boat I am considering selling to buy this is a mint 4.8 osprey kestrel 1997 with a 60hp mariner.
Old 27 May 2004, 08:19   #5

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Sorry to get you worried.
If any debonding of the seams does occur its just a case of regluing them but it is a timely, procedure with PU boats. I myself am buying a PU boat soon so don't let it put you off PU tubes, I prefer PU tubes to Hypalon as they resist scratches and fading much better than Hypalon. This will explain the good condition of the Tornado you're looking at. I'm sure most on here will disagree with me, as the majority have Hypalon boats, but this is just my opinion.

Just one quick question for you Charlie? Do you think it is worth trading from a newer boat to a boat 4 years older with an engine identical to yours but also four years older, bearing in mind that you'll only be gaining .3m. It will be a lot slower than your original boat (ie: weight, deeper V). Can't fault Tornados however, its just I'm not sure that this one is necessarily a good deal for you? Pics may help though, as you say its in really good condition.

Edit: Just found it, is this the one ya? Looks a nice boat. I would still go with the newer boat though (if it is new, seems a bit too good to be true!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F35590.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	5954  
Old 27 May 2004, 11:08   #6

Tornado

swiggin, thanks, yes thats the boat,will have closer look at seams,although looked perfect. We are quite limited in the size of boat due to were we keep it,and 5.1 5.2 is about it. Ref engine size, the 60hp pushes the Osprey with loads to spare, as generally there is only me and my son in it, or possibly one more,we dont carry diving gear or anything. Wish we had cash to buy a new rib, but got to work within the budget!!!!!!! The tornado apealed as its got a higher bow,better trailer,gps, and a bit more room, but thanks for taking the trouble to send advice, didnt know about probs with pu tubes, will have closer look and hopfully a trip in it, then pehaps look at price, then its make my mind up time, thanks again.
Old 27 May 2004, 11:26   #7

Town: Dartmouth
Tornado

Hi Charlie

We have had about 10 of these particular Tornado's in for retubing, there have been at least three that have looked as if they have just left the factory, the tubes , absolutely immaculate. The problem has been the seams behind the Strake, the PU breaks down and eventually opens up making repair vitually impossible or not financially viable so be warned.
Old 27 May 2004, 12:21   #8

Tornado

Thanx for that. This is not good news!!!!!!!!!
Do you know what sort of cost is involved re-tubing the tornado, if we could get the price down to offset the risk.
Old 27 May 2004, 21:33   #9

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Re Tub

Charlie
My Tornado 5.3 is being re tubed now its about 2K but will depend on the spec you want. Shoud be ready soon

Neal
Old 28 May 2004, 00:23   #10

Tornado

Neal, thanks for your comments,I thought it would be around that price for new tubes, means we would have to get the boat for about £5000 to warrent taking the risk, shame, realy liked the boat,and a bit shellshocked by the negative vibes, but I did ask did'nt I . Charlie.