Old 28 June 2024, 05:58   #21

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Some are missed more than most, oh my did wiLlfish post some stuff BITD that was the best - a true classic below on Searider ownership:

https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/searide...tml#post439826

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
bestist plaice too luk iz eny fkin junnkyard

butt befor yew imbark onn dis jorney ov discuvvery ther arr sertin fings too considder beforr yew beecum a seeryder nobbur

pirsonel deepawtmint
yew av to groe a pigtayl an ware a lether jakkit wiv noe sleaves. de aygin ippy luk iz verry impawtunt. a lopsydid iye iz a gud fashun acksesory.

truk
mk1 pajeero aw voxhall monteray wiv 300,000 myles on de clokk

bote

scaby lukin toobs wiv scafoldin forr de a fraym. orl fiksin bowlts shud bee 4 inchis longir thann needid. lotts ov howers discussin de uppside/dowenside ov a fluddin ull

bote naim
naimed arfter eny hendrikks sonng

tewl bokks
dukk tayp an dw40. ifn itt mooves an itt shudunt = dukk tayp. ifn itt duzunt moov an itt shud = wd40

enjin
de scabbiest lukin yam 90 yew cann fynd

fewl tannks

barrus tannks dat de royul nayvy av condemnd

pgs
decka gridd sistum

arr yew reely reddy forr orl dis orr wud yew bee beter orf gowin golfin?
Old 28 June 2024, 07:39   #22

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
The really sad thing is I have met a couple of the members that are often going at each other, and in person they are really nice chap's.
Old 28 June 2024, 08:07   #23

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
That’s my point. I’ve made good friends through rib.net and boatmad, by getting out from behind the keyboard and going boating with them, or otherwise meeting up.

It’s not a rib net problem, it’s just social media generally. If you wouldn’t talk like that to the person face to face, don’t do it online either.

https://xkcd.com/386/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4445.png
Views:	10
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	145315  
Old 28 June 2024, 08:08   #24

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Some are missed more than most, oh my did wiLlfish post some stuff BITD that was the best - a true classic below on Searider ownership:

was it wiLlfish who did the post about his dog, the Yorkshire Terrorist, classic
Old 28 June 2024, 08:29   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That’s my point. I’ve made good friends through rib.net and boatmad, by getting out from behind the keyboard and going boating with them, or otherwise meeting up.

It’s not a rib net problem, it’s just social media generally. If you wouldn’t talk like that to the person face to face, don’t do it online either.

https://xkcd.com/386/
The pub analogy was always used to describe Ribnet. You walk in, buy a drink, nod at the other customers and strike up a conversation. You don't barge in, start shouting the odds & pick a fight with the other drinkers, otherwise it doesn't end well.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 12:05   #26

So I've given it some thought over the past 24hrs and have decided that as I have never backed away from a bully, I am not going to do so now.

Over the past few weeks I have had uncalled for abuse from 2 trolls on this forum for pointing out what I believe to be incorrect or poor advice. I will always vigorously defend my corner against such abuse, and I'm not going to stop now.

This forum has at least two trolls. One sometimes gives out dangerous advice, the other I believe sometimes gives out bad advice.

A few forum members recognise these trolls and call them out for what they are.
Other members stay silent, but remain happy knowing they hold the moral high ground.
For that I applaud you, but I wasn't brought up that way. I was brought up to stand up to and call out the - cheats, charlatans, bullies and now trolls of this world and will continue to do so as appeasement never wins.
Old 28 June 2024, 12:42   #27

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post

I dunno why, but I read that whole thing in Mike Brewers voice.
Old 28 June 2024, 12:45   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
So I've given it some thought over the past 24hrs and have decided that as I have never backed away from a bully, I am not going to do so now.

Over the past few weeks I have had uncalled for abuse from 2 trolls on this forum for pointing out what I believe to be incorrect or poor advice. I will always vigorously defend my corner against such abuse, and I'm not going to stop now.

This forum has at least two trolls. One sometimes gives out dangerous advice, the other I believe sometimes gives out bad advice.

A few forum members recognise these trolls and call them out for what they are.
Other members stay silent, but remain happy knowing they hold the moral high ground.
For that I applaud you, but I wasn't brought up that way. I was brought up to stand up to and call out the - cheats, charlatans, bullies and now trolls of this world and will continue to do so as appeasement never wins.
your call Steve, but in the world of social media, trolls will always exist, as you say, they are bullies who wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life, but given the anonymity of the internet, they are free to be themselves. There's only one way to deal with them, and that's by ignoring them, they feed on the attention. By responding to them, you aren't standing up to them at all, you're actually submitting & giving them what they want/need. What really frustrates & hurts them is lack of attention.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 14:56   #29

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
your call Steve, but in the world of social media, trolls will always exist, as you say, they are bullies who wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life, but given the anonymity of the internet, they are free to be themselves. There's only one way to deal with them, and that's by ignoring them, they feed on the attention. By responding to them, you aren't standing up to them at all, you're actually submitting & giving them what they want/need. What really frustrates & hurts them is lack of attention.
This. best way to deal with trolls (attention seekers) is to starve them of attention. Tbh arguing online is pretty futile, as tempting as it sometime is to join in the fun. It's a great forum , the backlog of knowledge is huge and the very nature of the subject seems to attract a very similar type of personality. Use, Break , Fix repeat.
Old 28 June 2024, 15:02   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

Have a dekko at this thread from a DECADE ago:

https://www.rib.net/forum/f31/ribnet-credibility-65073-3.html#post650877

Good advice there for all posting on this matter.
Old 28 June 2024, 16:22   #31

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
It's all very well tiptoeing around not feeding trolls, not naming names and the old pub bar analogy. Simple fact is Ribnet has posting guidelines with the statement...

"Personal attacks and abuse will not be tolerated and may lead to a suspension of posting rights, or in extreme cases an outright ban"

In the last week or so Steve has "suffered" the following two attacks from two different users. Both personal attacks, intentionally rude, disrespectful, totally out of order, out of proportion to what went before and adding nothing to the thread....

"You seem to struggle with reading and comprehension in your dwindling years. You're like shit version of ChatGPT where you just ask more boilerplate questions and then go Google stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to find you're just a chatbot."

"You came on here not so long ago knowing nowt and full of questions now you seem to think you are some sort of SIB Guru. You havnt even got a T38 or a sib with trim tabs you bought a very heavy sib that fades in the sun, with a poor floor that required you to stuff a sheet of 8 x 4 in the bottom. You then bought a heavy 4 stroke that is barely liftable and had to fashion a sheet of ply into a board to move it about. Well you ain’t any where near."
Old 28 June 2024, 22:28   #32

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I'm with Nasher on this one. Blocked the irritant early doors. Reported the odd one of his to the Mods & moved on . I don't even have a rubber dinghy these days having flogged the last of the inflatables resorting to an old school Orkney Dory. Still enjoy dipping into the forum for it's knowledge & banter but you can keep the terwat !!!
Stay strong fellas , the trolls thrive on the oxygen of annoying the ***k out of others. Don't feed the troll.