Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 27 July 2011, 13:51   #1

Town: Chester le Street
Length: no boat
Avon sr4 and sr4.7 width sizes required.

Im now looking to purchase a rib as opposed to another conventional boat. After much reading of this forum Ive more or less boiled it down to a possible of one of two boats. These being the Avon 4.0 or 4.7 Searider models. Unfortunatley I cant seem to find the correct width for either. An internet search has come up with a mixed bag of sizes of between 5`8 and 6`6ft in width. Could anyone with one of these boats give me the correct total width please. The width is critical due to me having a tight garage opening and anything wider than say 6`6ft wouldnt fit the bill. The length doesnt really matter as the garage is 23ft long. I dont want to go looking only to find its all been in vain due to an incorrect sizing. My past boats have all been about 6ft wide and have been accomodated OK.
When looking for one of these boats if the sizing is right, are there any outstanding known issues that I should look for? Im not wanting to pay a fair bit of money out to find that Ive been sold a pup. I do realise they will have been used and are an aged model so Im not expecting total perfection. Ive always fastidiously looked after my boats and any issues with them have been put right and the purchaser told about them before I have parted company with them. Indeed the last buyer thought I hadnt used the boat at all! (it had over 80 hrs on it in my hands).
Old 27 July 2011, 14:15   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The SR4 should go in most. My door is 2.1m and my old boat (SR4) went through with miles of clearance. My current boat (2m beam) I believe is on a par with an SR4.7 and goes in with a careful aim.

AboarD Boats & Yachts Market - SR4.0M Searider Reckons the SR4 is 5'10"
AboarD Boats & Yachts Market - SR4.7M Searider Reckons the 4.7 is 6'6"

If you are worried about width, the Humber O-Pro range has a 2m beam subset with lengths up to 5.3m. The other thing with SR4.7s is that they are like hen's teeth to find. If you have a 23' garage you will be infinitely easier finding an SR5.4.

Also be careful when you buy that there are few braked trailers sub 2m width. (not a problem with an SR4 - it is so light it doesn't need brakes) but there are only about 3 braked trailers will go through a "standard" garage door.....
Old 27 July 2011, 15:00   #3

Town: Chester le Street
Length: no boat
Thanks 9D280. This has put my mind at ease. Looking at the sites you`ve mentioned and the unavailability of the 4.7, Im thinking the 4.0 may be the one to go for. How come there are no 4.7`s about?
Old 27 July 2011, 17:00   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi Gordon,

I had a 4.7m:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/my-new-b...7-a-37261.html

The original Avon manual that I have lists it at 2.03m external beam and the 4m at 1.80m. The 5.4 is also 2.03 external. As above the 4m and 5.4 is easy to find, the 4.7 much rarer and more expensive.

If I had the space I'd go for a 5.4m

I would not say there are any specific issues to check other than all the normal areas you would look at on any similarly constructed RIB - check the sticky buyers guide on here.