Old 05 August 2007, 10:21   #1

Town: Newby Bridge
Boat name: Alfie
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp
Best place to sell my RIB?

After a great deal of soul searching and angst I've decided to sell my RIB. I've just bought a house as a commercial venture which requires a lot of refurbishment, I estimate 6 months. which more or less kills the summer for me boat wise, and as I tend to be a fair weather sailor that means that realistically the RIB won't get used now until summer 2008. So rather than have the RIB on my driveway unused for the best part of a year I'm going to sell her.

As I've never sold a boat before I wonder if anyone can recommend the best way to do this. I see a lot of RIB bargains on Ebay but don't really want to sell her at a cut price as I'm not in a desperate hurry to sell. Boats & Outboards looks a good site and I wonder if anyone has ever sold using either of these sites? If anyone can offer any suggestions they'd be appreciated.

Just in case anyone is interested I bought the RIB from new just over a year ago, it's a 5m Humber Assault with a Johnson 50HP four stroke engine and is still under warranty. It has lots of extra fitted eg VHF radio, fish finder, chart plotter, A frame, Sports Jockey Console and Double Jockey Seat, Engine lock, wheel lock, extra fuel tank etc etc. Pics here: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14747
Old 07 August 2007, 06:05   #2

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Targa Bay
Make: Fairline Targa 29
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD32
I recently sold my RIB (Picton Cobra 7.5 + ETEC 250) and used Boats and Outboards. No problems, no idiots, sold quickly for what I wanted and it was free. I have also sold a Laser Stratos dinghy on there before with the same results - excellent

The problem I find with eBay auctions is that if you start low you risk not getting a good price unless you put a reserve on it which costs quite a lot if you don't sell, or if you start high then no-one is interested. There are also an awful lot of wa ers on eBay nowadays

I would only use eBay as a last resort if I was really desperate, but I would use B & O tomorrow without a worry.