Old 04 February 2023, 17:34   #21

Length: 5m +
Yes I rang and they confirmed it, but I wanted it in writing!

Cheers
Old 05 February 2023, 07:48   #22

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgowdan View Post
I've been through the details now.

I got a quote from craftinsure for £150 for my 15ft cuddy boat, and £200 from insure4boats.

Both of these include cover for loss/damages to the trailer/boat. The craftinsure cover I had to quote based on it being a speedboat as their dayboat speed limit is 23 knots and my wee boat will do 28

Porthcawl simply do not cover this at all.

Very tricky getting underwriters to stop saying "in transit" and say "while towing"!

crikey i have just taken a policy out through Fowler Penfold Marine and with an agreed value it was £458 which was £16 cheaper than last year i must have been asking for the wrong thing
Old 05 February 2023, 08:30   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
crikey i have just taken a policy out through Fowler Penfold Marine and with an agreed value it was £458 which was £16 cheaper than last year i must have been asking for the wrong thing
I guess you've got a very different boat? Mine is a cuddy boat, 28 knots max and around £13k value.
Old 05 February 2023, 08:40   #24

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post

That’s around what I’m paying for £50k agreed value policy.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2023, 10:28   #25

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That’s around what I’m paying for £50k agreed value policy.
£26k value . the reason i went with them again is last year i hit a submerged rock and damaged the skeg on my outboard and they just agreed a new gearbox without question no issues. Porthcawl were nearly £100 cheaper but reading the policy the cover didn't seem as good other companies were similar and Mercia actually said it was a good price and he couldn't match it in fact the only company that was significantly cheaper was insure4boats who only asked a handful of questions and quoted £148 but after checking reviews its seems your not covered for most eventualities and most folk had there claims refused
Old 10 February 2023, 11:34   #26

Town: Porthcawl
Boat name: Unnamed
Make: Gemini Zap Cat
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Who do you use to insure your boat while towing?

I know the following:

Third party damage caused by the boat/trailer: Car policy.

Damage to the boat/trailer when parked, stored or at sea: Boat policy.

Damage to the boat IN TRANSIT (this isn't towing, but freight/haulage transit): Boat policy.

BUT, cost of damage/loss of the boat/trailer whilst towing due to trailer failures hitch failure etc... ???

The latter is NOT covered by standard marine boat or car insurance. E.g. Porthcawl do NOT cover damages to the boat/trailer while being towed. Someone I know had their boat turn into a fireball on the road and had zero recourse despite having a comp car and boat policy.

I see insure4boats can add this as an extra. Anyone else?

Thanks
Sorry what you are stating is incorrect, PIC offer transit cover on their policies as standard, what we/insurers do not cover on our marine policies is the liability whilst the vessel is being towed as this is insured under your motor insurance policy

ie if you cause damage to property or a vehicle whilst towng the damage would covered under your motor insurance where as any damage to the boat is covered on a marine insurance policy

Thanks
Old 15 February 2023, 11:21   #27

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:

I know the following:

Damage to the boat IN TRANSIT (this isn't towing, but freight/haulage transit): Boat policy.

BUT, cost of damage/loss of the boat/trailer whilst towing due to trailer failures hitch failure etc... ???

The latter is NOT covered by standard marine boat or car insurance. E.g. Porthcawl do NOT cover damages to the boat/trailer while being towed. Someone I know had their boat turn into a fireball on the road and had zero recourse despite having a comp car and boat policy.

Thanks
This seems strange as I have held a Policy (agreed Value) with Porthcawl for 20 years and when I started dragging baby over to Greece wanted to ensure that cover in transit across Europe was included, and was included as a specified element. After reading your posts I felt I should double check with specific scenarios and this was the reply I received

My questions

For my peace of mind, can you let me know if my current policy covers damage to my Rib whilst being towed in the UK or across Europe as detailed in the schedule

Answer
Transit cover is included as per policy wording.

Question : Specifically, if for instance my Rib becomes detached from the car/trailer for some reason, and is damaged, would my policy pay out for repairs / total loss value insured-

Reply : If the vessel becomes detached and no one else is involved and the boat is damaged your marine policy will pick up the damage to the boat, if the vessel becomes detached and no damage TO THE BOAT but a car or property is damaged this will be covered under your MOTOR Insurance policy

Hope you get sorted

Jeff
Old 20 February 2023, 12:53   #28

Town: Porthcawl
Boat name: Unnamed
Make: Gemini Zap Cat
Engine: Outboard
Quote:

I know the following:

Thanks
What you are saying about the Porthcawl Policy is incorrect as they offer transit/towing cover for your boats upto 9M as standard