Old 28 May 2011, 12:11   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Bombard

I'm looking at buying a 2007 5m Bombard as my first rib - any major negatives or better alternatives - budget around £10k - honest answers welcome!!
Old 28 May 2011, 16:57   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
10k is a lot of money on the second hand market and you need to decide what you want to do with the rib and what type of rib you want.

Many people prefer the more commercial/traditional types and many prefer the newer cruiser type of boat.

Have a think about what you want to use it for and post back then people can advise you better.

Chris
Old 28 May 2011, 17:54   #3

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
I'm looking at buying a 2007 5m Bombard as my first rib - any major negatives or better alternatives - budget around £10k - honest answers welcome!!
Agree with Chris, Bombard is more like a family friendly type of rib, I would go for something more rigid (Humber, Ribeye, Ribtec etc.).

Also, what engine is on the rib? A second hand outboard is a real gamble if you can't test it or don't know the history...

With your budget, there are many Ribs which suit you.

And I always recommend something cheaper as the first rib. The cheaper, the easier to sell it if you don't enjoy ribbing...
Old 28 May 2011, 18:17   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Thanks both. It's really for a bit of fun - towing some toys, fishing and going out when it's a bit choppy. Generally with 2 to 4 up. The engines a Yamaha 90 stroke 2002 170 hours. It's advertised on the Ribs For sale section. Cheers Simon
Old 29 May 2011, 09:34   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
Thanks both. It's really for a bit of fun - towing some toys, fishing and going out when it's a bit choppy. Generally with 2 to 4 up. The engines a Yamaha 90 stroke 2002 170 hours. It's advertised on the Ribs For sale section. Cheers Simon
The Yammie engine is bomb-proof if well maintained. Easy for DIY maintenance too compared to 4-stroke equivalent. Check the hull thoroughly and console and seat pods. I've seen a few cracks in console and seat pods in Zodiac/Bombard boats.