Old 22 July 2023, 15:07   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Bug your Boat

Years ago only James Bond would have this sort of thing Now they are about £12. They are an Airtag copy at about half the price. These are called MiTag by MiLi, bought from that nice Mr Bezos

It is a GPS Tracker that works with Iphone. I am going to put one on my boat so I can find it if I loose it

Obviously they can be put on most things but not people as that would I think be illegal. Here is a little video of how easy they are to set up and what they are like.

Old 22 July 2023, 15:44   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>It is a GPS Tracker that works with Iphone

They are interesting for certain uses and cheap. However I don't think these are GPS trackers are they?

As far as I can see they need to be within about 100m of an iPhone (yours or someone else's) that has Bluetooth enabled. So if your boat was stolen and taken to a remote shed on a farm by guys all using android you'd never see a location.
Old 22 July 2023, 17:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>It is a GPS Tracker that works with Iphone

They are interesting for certain uses and cheap. However I don't think these are GPS trackers are they?

As far as I can see they need to be within about 100m of an iPhone (yours or someone else's) that has Bluetooth enabled. So if your boat was stolen and taken to a remote shed on a farm by guys all using android you'd never see a location.
Possibly true but I have them on other items and I seem to be able to locate them when I am miles away. There are a lot of iPhones about so you would have a far better chance than if you don't have one. For £12 they are very useful. My Niece put one in her suitcase on Holiday and when it went missing in the transfer she was able to see where it was and recovered it
Old 22 July 2023, 18:37   #4

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Not fair to call them GPS trackers, they are bluetooth devices that require other devices to share / send the location.
Don't know these devices but AirTags are designed to be found.
If you want to find the object / item and not have the device found you need a totally different product.
Old 22 July 2023, 19:14   #5
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
Not fair to call them GPS trackers
Well, if it reunites one with one's toaster or 5 year old Fred, who's to argue...

Old 23 July 2023, 05:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
Not fair to call them GPS trackers, they are bluetooth devices that require other devices to share / send the location.
Don't know these devices but AirTags are designed to be found.
If you want to find the object / item and not have the device found you need a totally different product.
Well they use gps all be it from an adjacent device, They show you where a thing is and they seem to work well. and yes they are designed to be found