Old 08 May 2022, 20:53   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Centre console face-lift

It's been a busy week for my Tornado restoration project....here's what has been achieved.
Tuesday....it's finally happening....James from XS Ribs contacted me to say he was ready to receive my hull...he didn't have to ask twice. I was trying to play it cool but honest I felt like a kid at Christmas. I can tell you that they have a great setup at Xs ribs Hull, bigger than expected and very organised and i can tell you that was a comfort. I learned a bit about my boat too, both the centre console and built in fuel tank were retrofitted by third party or added at the request of a customer. Having explained to James how I had removed that keel guard and flocoated the lower part of the hull they were amazed how much effort I put in and then they showed me what they paint the hull with.....my heart sank because they paint with a textured finish paint.....so no sanding and polishing afterwards....NOooooo....I wish I had known about that a few weeks back..would have saved me a lot of time and effort.
I made the box and fiberglassed it to match my other jockeyseat (another new skill to try and get to grips with) and I have to tell you I'm delighted with the finished result......see the photo and judge for yourself. I have found a fella to make the seats and backrest....so two new bases and backrest out of 18mm plywood followed by a good coat of resin and they are good to go.
Finally I set about the console. I sanded and filled any holes and nicks..fiberglassed a piece of wood where the steering bolt's on and I cut the slots out for the vhf and new fuse panel.
I wrapped the console with gloss black vinyl and I used the raw carbon look vinyl and the dash panel......what a transformation. I have a big sheet of perspex so I'm going to have a play with extended the screen.
I have started work on the outboard (small crack sorted in the clam shell) and I have reattached the water jacket and thermostat housing with new gaskets. A full service and carb rebuild is next up.
I'm looking forward to seeing the new tubes as are many of my neighbours as they have seen me working the boat as my shed is next to the footpath and many have stopped to talk to me about it....the sight of a hull without tubes is a funnny sight.
Keep on keeping on.....bye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_121451.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	140437   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_121506.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	140438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220507_205939.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	140439   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220507_101600.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	140440  
Old 08 May 2022, 21:01   #2

What the console used to look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220506_165952.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	140441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210209_135057.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	140442  
Old 26 May 2022, 13:39   #3

Town: Kerry
Make: Humber 5.1
Looks like a fantastic job on the console. Need to do something similar to my own ribcraft console which is full of patches from previous owners so was interested to see how you did it.

Is that the same vinyl wrap they use on cars, was it difficult to do?
Old 26 May 2022, 16:47   #4

I used normal sign writing vinyl...the kind you cut in a plotter (ebay). This will stand up to the sun for many years.
I did the base first (the flange) in gloss and i did this in one square piece with a slit in so i could fit it.....i wrapped a little underneath the flange leaving a tidy edge you also leave an overlap of a couple of centimeters on the upward edge of the console. Then a did the front of the console pulling the edge around the top of the curved part, again leaving a small overlap (you can leave a nice straight line used metal ruler and a sharp knife). You do have to stretch the material a little around the curve but agai you trim back leaving a tidy edge. Same goes for the bit over the top (hair dryer helps flex the vinyl) .....and trim. I covered the dash with fake raw carbon (note this is not as flexable as the normal vinyl and has a slightly crinckley feel) I would try and bend this around any curves. The carbon look covered the whole front dash. You get a feel with the vinyl and it has to be said I'm no expert but it cost me less than £25 in materials...you wouldn't get it painted for that. Give it a go...at the very worst you waste £25. Good luck.
Ps If you pm me I will send you a couple of offcuts so you know what I'm talking about.