Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Aah! Ok
Keilder is a god awful place anyway not much there & worse midges than Scotland. It was almost in my back yard when we lived in Co Durham & we boated there exactly zero times, visited a few times but would rather drive to the lakes or scotland than boat on keilder, definitely wouldnt base my boat buying whish list on the requirements for it.
Old 03 July 2024, 07:48   #22

Town: Redcar
Boat name: Tamerined
Make: Hydro Force
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Keilder is a god awful place anyway not much there & worse midges than Scotland. It was almost in my back yard when we lived in Co Durham & we boated there exactly zero times, visited a few times but would rather drive to the lakes or scotland than boat on keilder, definitely wouldnt base my boat buying whish list on the requirements for it.
Cheers, that's interesting / informative, I assumed Keilder would be a nice option. We mostly boat on Ullswater, Windermere and Derwent, we were looking for options elsewhere, Loch Lomond is a thought but as you say, midges are a problem
Old 03 July 2024, 08:49   #23

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>Keilder is a god awful place anyway not much there

For years we have researched potential sibbing holiday locations all around the UK and I dismissed Kielder because it so often looks bleak and windswept in folks pictures/videos. Add to that the speed limit, invasive rules, high daily cost and as Ken says there's not much there.
Old 03 July 2024, 11:34   #24

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Trout fished it once many years ago in a Home International match.
Awful.
Little to no fly life hatching.
Low overall bags.
The trout that were caught were in poor condition & underweight.
Wouldn't even bother again if I was offered a free trip.
I seem to remember there wasn't much in the way of birdlife either & it was mostly eerily quiet.
Old 03 July 2024, 12:03   #25
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
For years we have researched potential sibbing holiday locations all around the UK
Some fun facts:

The Erne System (lakes and rivers) in Northern Ireland is a paradise for SIBers. It has a flourishing tourism industry and encourages boaters to use the lakes. There are numerous free slipways with toilet facilities and countless places to tie up and go ashore. Most of the system has no speed limit. Many accommodation types are available, often with attached berthing and/or slipways. Ze Germans have been using the area for decades for cruise boat hire and seem to love it (a lot of associated information is in English & German). There are no fees and registration for 10hp and over is free online.

The Erne has 55 square miles of water

This makes it larger than Loch Ness & Lomond combined at 50 sq/mi or all the bigger lakes and reservoirs in England & Wales at also approx 50 sq/mi

If you manage to explore it all then it also connects into the Shannon Waterway - another story again...
Old 03 July 2024, 12:35   #26

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Some fun facts:

The Erne System (lakes and rivers) in Northern Ireland is a paradise for SIBers. It has a flourishing tourism industry and encourages boaters to use the lakes. There are numerous free slipways with toilet facilities and countless places to tie up and go ashore. Most of the system has no speed limit. Many accommodation types are available, often with attached berthing and/or slipways. Ze Germans have been using the area for decades for cruise boat hire and seem to love it (a lot of associated information is in English & German). There are no fees and registration for 10hp and over is free online.

The Erne has 55 square miles of water

This makes it larger than Loch Ness & Lomond combined at 50 sq/mi or all the bigger lakes and reservoirs in England & Wales at also approx 50 sq/mi

If you manage to explore it all then it also connects into the Shannon Waterway - another story again...
Excellent fishing spot too. I'm hoping to be out on the water this weekend.
Old 03 July 2024, 13:05   #27

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks for the heads up on that Willk. There look to be some decent places to stay with immediate water access which is often the issue even if an area is otherwise spot on.

Tags
rib, sib