Old 04 June 2023, 11:46   #1

Town: cork
Boat name: na
Make: na
Length: 6m +
Engine: na
Cover tie downs

Hi all

I have a console and seat cover for my Avon 620 but there's no tie downs fitted and it blew off last time I had it on my swing mooring.
What are the options to secure it? There's no steel pop buttons fitted and there's 6 leather reinfored holes on the cover but nothing on the rib to attach to.
What would be the best thing to do? I want to avoid steel pop buttons as they ll shred ankles or bare feet of fitted.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230604113907.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	142804  
Old 04 June 2023, 16:50   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd2021 View Post
Hi all

I have a console and seat cover for my Avon 620 but there's no tie downs fitted and it blew off last time I had it on my swing mooring.

What are the options to secure it? There's no steel pop buttons fitted and there's 6 leather reinfored holes on the cover but nothing on the rib to attach to.

What would be the best thing to do? I want to avoid steel pop buttons as they ll shred ankles or bare feet of fitted.

Thanks
If you don't want to fit something like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354410099...mis&media=COPY

Then strips of velcro might be the best option
Old 04 June 2023, 17:58   #3

You mean stitch velcro onto the cover and glue on to the boat then? What about screwing d rings in to the boat floor and then a strap through the eyelets then to it?
Old 04 June 2023, 20:52   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
You mean stitch velcro onto the cover and glue on to the boat then? What about screwing d rings in to the boat floor and then a strap through the eyelets then to it?
Are d rings on the floor any better for bare feet/toes than much smaller poppers on the console/seat boxes?!

Our old Avon 620 used poppers, and we never had any issues with them at all. My Ribtec 9m used turn button fasters which protrude much more, but I still never had any issues with those (and I think they are far easier to use, more secure and more robust than the poppers).
Old 04 June 2023, 20:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
Are d rings on the floor any better for bare feet/toes than much smaller poppers on the console/seat boxes?!

Our old Avon 620 used poppers, and we never had any issues with them at all. My Ribtec 9m used turn button fasters which protrude much more, but I still never had any issues with those (and I think they are far easier to use, more secure and more robust than the poppers).

My thoughts were the poppers are steel edged and when you run you ankle against em they ll slice a bit.the d ring would be smooth edged so wouldn't cut.my cover goes all the way to the floor so any connector would be very low.what turn button fasteners are they?
Old 04 June 2023, 20:59   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
My thoughts were the poppers are steel edged and when you run you ankle against em they ll slice a bit.the d ring would be smooth edged so wouldn't cut.my cover goes all the way to the floor so any connector would be very low.what turn button fasteners are they?
It sounds like a fairly typical RIB console/seat cover - all mine have fitted right down to the floor, with the fastening at the very bottom of the console/seat pods.

It might just be me, but personally I've stubbed my toes far more on the various deck mounted d-rings on our sailing yacht, and have never had any issues with poppers/turnbuttons mounted on the side of the RIB consoles!

Turnbuttons are these: https://www.attwoollsmanufacturing.co.uk/turn-buttons/
Old 04 June 2023, 21:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
It sounds like a fairly typical RIB console/seat cover - all mine have fitted right down to the floor, with the fastening at the very bottom of the console/seat pods.

It might just be me, but personally I've stubbed my toes far more on the various deck mounted d-rings on our sailing yacht, and have never had any issues with poppers/turnbuttons mounted on the side of the RIB consoles!

Turnbuttons are these: https://www.attwoollsmanufacturing.co.uk/turn-buttons/
They look like they may be a runner instead.i had a bayliner before and the cover was attached with poppers.the amount of times I tore my arm off them I lost count so thought the kids would do similar damage to their feet with them near the floor.
Old 04 June 2023, 21:04   #8

How many would I need to fit would you think? It's a 6m rib and the cover goes all the way from rear bench to the console suicide seat
Old 05 June 2023, 07:00   #9

Quote:
They look like they may be a runner instead.i had a bayliner before and the cover was attached with poppers.the amount of times I tore my arm off them I lost count so thought the kids would do similar damage to their feet with them near the floor.
What kind of poppers did your boat have? The poppers on our boat like those I linked earlier you can sit on or walk on without harm, they are completely rounded off with no sharp edges when fitted. My pal has 4 turn buckles on his rib cover fitted to the bottom of the twin jockey console & you'd definitely catch your feet on them more than press on poppers I think 6 or 8 would be plentyfor your larger cover. The other option would be lift the dot fasteners but they are good for catching stuff too. Safest option if your not using poppers would be velcro sewn around the lower hem & stuck to the bottom of the fibreglass. I think d rings would definitely be a toe catcher
Old 05 June 2023, 09:00   #10

Similar to those in the link.they "unrounded" themselves over time and got sharp.i suppose I could do a combo of both.fasteners behind the rear bench and in front of the suicide seat where there's most space and velcro down the sides
Old 05 June 2023, 09:23   #11

Quote:
Similar to those in the link.they "unrounded" themselves over time and got sharp.i suppose I could do a combo of both.fasteners behind the rear bench and in front of the suicide seat where there's most space and velcro down the sides
These have been on our hardboat 15 years & no sign of them becoming sharp. My wife often walks about barefoot & these are right next to a walkway, easy changed though if they do deteriorate, simply screwed on. Apart from velcro we found these the least damaging, we've had lift the dots & turnbuckles & both were good at ripping lumps out of wetsuits etc Click image for larger version

Name:	20230605_101808.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	142808
Old 05 June 2023, 09:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
These have been on our hardboat 15 years & no sign of them becoming sharp. My wife often walks about barefoot & these are right next to a walkway, easy changed though if they do deteriorate, simply screwed on. Apart from velcro we found these the least damaging, we've had lift the dots & turnbuckles & both were good at ripping lumps out of wetsuits etc Attachment 142808
And how did you fit them to the fiberglass? Was told not to screw in to it as the screws will rip out over time?
Old 05 June 2023, 14:39   #13

Quote:
And how did you fit them to the fiberglass? Was told not to screw in to it as the screws will rip out over time?
Those ones on our boat have built in screws which have been in 15 years from new, its a cruiser which we tend to cruise at 27kts ish & depending on conditions it can flap horribly at times & none have come out of the fibreglass if you dont want to use the ones with built in screws you can get them with holes in to either pop rivet or use small countersink through bolts & washers assuming you can get to the inside
Old 05 June 2023, 15:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Those ones on our boat have built in screws which have been in 15 years from new, its a cruiser which we tend to cruise at 27kts ish & depending on conditions it can flap horribly at times & none have come out of the fibreglass if you dont want to use the ones with built in screws you can get them with holes in to either pop rivet or use small countersink through bolts & washers assuming you can get to the inside
Thanks very much for all the help and info.ill get some of them so.
Old 05 June 2023, 17:17   #15

Length: no boat
The best solution we’ve had is to get some 25mm tie down straps with buckles stitched close to the bottom of the cover. These then tie in/loop through almost flat keepers that you can screw in to the lower surfaces of jockey seats/console.