Old 12 July 2021, 19:00   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Deck paint again

I would like to renounce my previous posts that commend kiwi grip. As beautiful as it is and as easy as it is to apply. It blisters on any area that has standing water, shows dirt and peels.

Now I’m looking for other reccomendations. Even outside the boat industry. My mates pickup has U-POL raptor paint and it seems a perfect finish for a deck. I have emailed UPOL and they state it is even safe underwater.

I could remove all paint and re gel but I know it’s going to be a bore. If anyone has any other reccomendations that last longer than 3 seasons I’d appreciate it. For now I will jet wash it off and enjoy the season tatty.
Old 12 July 2021, 19:10   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Just grind it back and use none slip flow coat its cheap, hard as nails & needs minimum prep just sand back with a 36g soft sanding disk or flap wheel and brush it on , hides all the sanding marks too. Cant understand why anyone would use anything else on a fibreglass boat deck
Old 12 July 2021, 19:45   #3

Because I have some epoxy repairs. So felt it safer to use paint.
Old 12 July 2021, 19:54   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I use International Deck Paint over the top of their one pack undercoat. I only applied one coat and it has stood up very well. The plan was to do a couple of coats and I'll get round to it at some point.

I clean it using a degreaser from Screwfix and a telescopic handled car cleaning brush and it comes up very clean.

It is a ply deck though.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...ser-5ltr/88668
Old 13 July 2021, 01:07   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
You could look at something such a seadeck for a quality long lasting product.

For the record Ive used Kiwi grip on several vessels (my last three) and never had a blister but agree it can hold dirt and fish blood etc but has always cleaned up well with either a good scrubbing or pressure wash. For it to blister sounds like water has gotten under the paint which could of been down to surface preparation before applying it. Removing any dirt, grease, oil or silicone (even silicone spray) before applying is key.
Old 13 July 2021, 19:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
You could look at something such a seadeck for a quality long lasting product.

For the record Ive used Kiwi grip on several vessels (my last three) and never had a blister but agree it can hold dirt and fish blood etc but has always cleaned up well with either a good scrubbing or pressure wash. For it to blister sounds like water has gotten under the paint which could of been down to surface preparation before applying it. Removing any dirt, grease, oil or silicone (even silicone spray) before applying is key.
I agree. However it is only the standing water areas that have failed. I have two small wells that collect deck water. They always peel. I have touched those areas up several times so the second and third application might not have been as reliable.
Old 13 July 2021, 22:51   #7

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
I agree. However it is only the standing water areas that have failed. I have two small wells that collect deck water. They always peel. I have touched those areas up several times so the second and third application might not have been as reliable.
I have some pained on a fibreglass dive step that sits underwater and never blistered, could the surface you painted have moisture inside it possibly ? All the surfaces Ive painted have been fibreglass in the past.

By the way Im not trying to defend the product, its something I will certainly watch out for on any further projects. The fact we get very little rain and lower humidity in my part of the country might help, also I have no areas that pool water.