Old 14 October 2016, 07:42   #1

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Wave Glider
Make: Cobra 7.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 300
Docking Systems - Any Experiences

Hi,

I have a Cobra 7.55 which I keep on the hamble and keep her in the water, she is antifouled but I still hate leaving it in although never had a single leak I just don't like it!

Has anyone had any experiences with this company Home

The prices seem reasonable and video is good with a similar size rib to mine, albeit i would image the Cobra is heavier.

Old 14 October 2016, 15:58   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
A friend has something similar he uses in Exmouth Marina..and after conventional mooring for years,swears by it....but go for the wider type which you can walk around,makes life a lot easier....loading,putting a cover on,simple maintainance,cleaning ect.
If I ever end up with a waterside property in the future it would be certainly on my list!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 16:45   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
US Coast Guard used to use something similar for their 25' SAFE Boat in Monterey. They don't anymore, though I have no idea why not (they do tend to pull the 25's pretty often; maybe it's not worth the trouble of working it off the drydock when they get an emergency call?)

Looked like it worked pretty well. They used to power the boat up onto the dock; I'd assume you could also winch it up (I've seen videos of powering up onto supports going wrong...)

jky
Old 17 October 2016, 08:35   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams1x View Post
Hi,

I have a Cobra 7.55 which I keep on the hamble and keep her in the water, she is antifouled but I still hate leaving it in although never had a single leak I just don't like it!

Has anyone had any experiences with this company Home

The prices seem reasonable and video is good with a similar size rib to mine, albeit i would image the Cobra is heavier.

Beware, not all marinas like them as they can't resell your empty space when away. If you follow max's width advice also make sure you don't trigger any "wide beam" supplements at the marina. I know my boat yard starts charging more after 2.4m width. many/most marinas have something similar in the small print.
Old 17 October 2016, 09:40   #5

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
I totally get the concept of keeping the boat on a dry dock and think it a fantastic idea, but what happens to the dry dock itself. It's bad enough keeping the boat in the water for three months with the amount of crud that accumulates on the bottom. With all those cubes and projections/brackets etc. it must be a nightmare to keep clean. Power washing wouldn't do it, anymore than it does doing the underside of boat. I guess the whole lot would have to be dragged out the water, either flipped over (impossible) or dismantled (massive effort) then cleaned.

My point being, are you saving any time and effort!
I must admit, it's one of the biggest problems of my boat ownership, that of keeping the hull clean. Apart from dry stacking, at not an inconsiderable cost, I don't know the answer. Perhaps inflatable air bags that lift the boat just clear of the water
Old 17 October 2016, 10:55   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
I totally get the concept of keeping the boat on a dry dock and think it a fantastic idea, but what happens to the dry dock itself. It's bad enough keeping the boat in the water for three months with the amount of crud that accumulates on the bottom. With all those cubes and projections/brackets etc. it must be a nightmare to keep clean. Power washing wouldn't do it, anymore than it does doing the underside of boat. I guess the whole lot would have to be dragged out the water, either flipped over (impossible) or dismantled (massive effort) then cleaned.

My point being, are you saving any time and effort!
I must admit, it's one of the biggest problems of my boat ownership, that of keeping the hull clean. Apart from dry stacking, at not an inconsiderable cost, I don't know the answer. Perhaps inflatable air bags that lift the boat just clear of the water
  1. The modules are usually made from HDPE, which nothing really likes sticking to. Much less so than to GRP.
  2. Since it is not moving through the water (creating drag) you probably don't care too much.
  3. You should be able to pressure wash most stuff off.
  4. As it can be disassembled it will be easier to turn it over and really attack the bits you want clean than a boat hull- say before selling it, but why bother in normal use.
  5. its probably the bits closest to the edges (where light gets to) that are most likely to get growth, and they are the easiest to remove and scrub.

Don't know if anyone has tried moulding with a small amount of copper in the plastic mix as that should help even more.