Old 11 May 2020, 06:22   #41

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
this lift on non essential travel . would this allow me to tow my boat to a boat sales and repair place outside of my local area to have a new engine fitted ??
Old 11 May 2020, 06:29   #42

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGFR View Post
Was just thinking the same thing... Seems to me that going out on a boat on your own or with family members is compatible with the new rules.
Agreed.

No teaching yet, we need to wait for the restriction on more than one household mixing for that. So July at the earliest I think.
Old 11 May 2020, 08:05   #43
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
this lift on non essential travel . would this allow me to tow my boat to a boat sales and repair place outside of my local area to have a new engine fitted ??

Definitely, this is allowed as it keeps the boatyard working. On the IOW (not a big area) it’s been ok all the way through.
I haven’t understood why most boatyards have closed, it’s definitely one workplace where you can work on your own. Ours stayed open - I had some electrics done on my boat, invoiced and paid for.
The economy needs to keep going wherever possible!
Old 12 May 2020, 18:42   #44
RIBnet supporter

Just our luck in a lock gated marina, the tides are rubbish this week. It looks like a day out on Monday!!
Old 12 May 2020, 21:12   #45

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Definitely, this is allowed as it keeps the boatyard working. On the IOW (not a big area) it’s been ok all the way through.
I haven’t understood why most boatyards have closed, it’s definitely one workplace where you can work on your own. Ours stayed open - I had some electrics done on my boat, invoiced and paid for.
The economy needs to keep going wherever possible!
Here at KB Dry stack we have kept open mainly to keep supporting the mechanics (who are mostly one-man bands) and to allow our clients to carry out maintenance checks/work on their boats. We have enacted all the social distancing guidelines and don't see why many other establishments have choosen just to "lock the gates"?

Still, hopefully we can all now move forward (my thoughjts are with those in Scotland, Wales and NI who may have to wait a little longer).
Old 13 May 2020, 14:25   #46
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Here at KB Dry stack we have kept open mainly to keep supporting the mechanics (who are mostly one-man bands) and to allow our clients to carry out maintenance checks/work on their boats. We have enacted all the social distancing guidelines and don't see why many other establishments have choosen just to "lock the gates"?
Being cynical, large marina chain presented with opportunity to massively cut its operating costs in terms of headcount whilst still raking it in from customers who can't go out, it was an easy choice - furlough your staff and have very low costs = bigger profit; and if customers complain its the governments fault.

Of course they might bundle that up in "protecting our workforce" (which is not an unreasonable position) or "insufficient staff" (if they have people off sick, self isolating, shielding, who have underlying health issues which would make a public facing role risky, or who have childcare issues). It would be interesting to see if people who used those arguments are now opening the doors...

Quote:
Still, hopefully we can all now move forward (my thoughjts are with those in Scotland, Wales and NI who may have to wait a little longer).
Whilst obviously there is frustration in the other nations that people can't enjoy some boating, the sentiment seems to mostly be in favour of the more cautious approach.
Old 13 May 2020, 17:43   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
It would be interesting to see if people who used those arguments are now opening the doors.
I dont see they have any choice, though I agree there are certainly some reluctant ones! For any and all of the reasons you gave

The Government seem determined to get people out and about, partly spending their cash and partly not being restless and dissenting.

The forecast for this weekend (in the SW at least) continues to predict some potentially stunning weather, so water & sea ways will definitely be busy.

Locally charter businesses are advertising themselves as breakdown services, to help protect the lifeboats etc; which I think is the only downside?
Old 13 May 2020, 17:55   #48

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 tohatsu
It is funny this “protect the lifeboats” situation. Guarantee they’ll be abnormally quiet and all itching for a few jobs.
Old 13 May 2020, 19:19   #49
RIBnet supporter

Richardson’s Yacht Services near us has been flat out lifting boats, cleaning, servicing etc. It’s a private business and everyone works on their own at the moment.
My brother’s rib is at Sparks marina on Hayling Island and Poly’s right, it’s locked down and all the boats are still out of the water paying full rates for nothing. I bet they’re having to jump around now!! [emoji41]
Old 13 May 2020, 21:21   #50

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Poly, I don't think you are being cynical, I think you are spot on. But that's often the difference between larger corporations and smaller independant operators. I have been amazed by the supportive attitude of most of our clients and want to reward that, That is why we have taken measures to financially benefit our clients fo any loss of boating opportunities this season.

I hope you get boating soon!

Regards

Steve
Old 13 May 2020, 21:59   #51

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Slightley bewildering statement from Poole Harbour Master here
You can use the open water, but can't gain access via a marina, yacht club or slipway - ok if you're moored or a water front property I guess??
Old 13 May 2020, 22:10   #52

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Yep, exactly, has confused a lot of people around here (and I believe a few other harbour as well that have said the same)! I understand more guidance is likely to be forthcoming in the next few days to clarify the situation, and hopefully facilities will open, at least partially, to allow some level of access.

I completely understand that on the sailing club scene we can't immediately go back e.g. to having enormous amounts of dinghies all trying to launch at the same time for racing, double handing with people outside their household etc., but hopefully there's an easy way forward to allow access for boats/yachts to be used by families/households.

There were definitely a few boats, dinghies and windsurfers out in Poole Harbour this afternoon!
Old 13 May 2020, 22:21   #53

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Being cynical, large marina chain presented with opportunity to massively cut its operating costs in terms of headcount whilst still raking it in from customers who can't go out, it was an easy choice - furlough your staff and have very low costs = bigger profit; and if customers complain its the governments fault.
To add to that they also are portraying it with a 'holier than thou' attitude, and together with harbour commissions and some councils, trying to treat ALL the public as stupid .......... ...........

Whilst every death is tragic, we are going to have to learn to live with this virus for a very long time, I agree with easing of lockdown and let the learning curve begin ............
Old 14 May 2020, 00:27   #54
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
...trying to treat ALL the public as stupid ..
To be fair to them, half the public have less than average intelligence.
Old 14 May 2020, 00:39   #55
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
I hope you get boating soon!
I'd be happy enough just to get the kayak out on the canal, or even to get access to the boat to check its ready to use, charge the battery etc. BUT I'm willing to saccrafice that in May to maximise the chance we are actually allowed to use it in July (preferably on holiday) rather than back in another lockdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSguru
Whilst every death is tragic, we are going to have to learn to live with this virus for a very long time,
We probably will, but theres plenty of selfish folk around who without external controls are going to act in their own interests rather than wider society.
Old 14 May 2020, 22:26   #56
RIBnet supporter

Our lock gates aren’t open yet, I think they’re waiting for a puff of smoke from the Vatican!
Actually, I think they’re being reasonable and will be open when they’ve sorted safe working!
Old 16 May 2020, 17:35   #57
RIBnet supporter

We’re still waiting but the lock is back to work properly on Monday for resident and commercial boats - no visitors. We’ll get a run down to the needles at least this week!
Old 16 May 2020, 18:35   #58

Baby steps

I have been very lucky to have two good runs out yesterday and today, got sunburnt of course after having been cloistered away for 2 months!
Old 17 May 2020, 07:42   #59

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Baby steps

I have been very lucky to have two good runs out yesterday and today, got sunburnt of course after having been cloistered away for 2 months!

Did you manage to see the big mahoosive naval flat top in Whitsand Bay?

I was enforced gardening duty - this rib cant come soon enough
Old 17 May 2020, 08:08   #60

I hear you, dreading full lockdown coming back in

Yep, saw that and successfully avoided it lol