Old 26 August 2024, 11:33   #1

Town: Devon
Make: Ribeye A600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 115
Getting soaked…

So, my first newbie question. For those that haven’t seen my intro thread, I’m a total novice and have just taken delivery of my first Rib, a Ribeye A600. I’ve done my Powerboat Level 2 course to give me the basics, and took the Rib out for the first time on Friday (from Teignmouth to Torquay), a successful trip with nothing to report.

We did the same trip on Saturday with 7 of us on board, stopping for lunch in Torquay. On the way back the sea was a bit more lively and wind had picked up (somewhere between force 4 and force 5). Despite the waves not being crazy big, we got absolutely drenched!! I was going between 20-25 knots all the way back.

Is there anything I could have done to stop us getting drenched, or is it inevitable to some extent on a rib in slightly lively conditions?

Also, any tips for visibility when getting soaked, my sunglasses were obviously drenched so keeping good visibility was a challenge (had to stop atone point to wipe them).

As I said, I’m a total novice so any comments/words of wisdom very welcome.
Old 26 August 2024, 12:02   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I was due to be out on Sunday, but we changed our plans last minute. Forecast for my part of the world was F5/6 with gusts of 25mph, so I know before I even haul the boat out it's going to be lumpy. Headed down to Arbroath for the day without the boat and as expected, plenty whitecaps and blowing SW for most of the day.

A600 with 7 people on board is going to be a heavy boat. Conditions change. Suspect you had following wind on route and when you came back out after lunch you were face on, tides will play a big part too. With a full boat it's difficult to power through and chances are the RIB will land heavy coming off short chop and may potentially plough and of course the spray is whipped up.

Couple of things to take from that - make sure everyone has wet weather gear would be my priority if that wasn't already the case. I can count on one hand the best days in the North Sea where it's been t-shirt and shorts weather. Also - you could try running closer to shore. That very much depends on your knowledge of coastline and any underwater hazards. Even alternating course can help - it's very much on conditions, seating arrangements and of course who's on board.

Secondly - take a few reports on the weather as a judgement call, Met Office, XC, BBC coastal, etc. Met office inshore forecast will always identify wind warning for at least 24-36 hours.

Regards sunglasses, not enough in poor weather as skipper. Get yourself a Gekko helmet and visor, or if that's too utilitarian, then a pair of ski googles is just as good.
Old 26 August 2024, 12:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I was due to be out on Sunday, but we changed our plans last minute. Forecast for my part of the world was F5/6 with gusts of 25mph, so I know before I even haul the boat out it's going to be lumpy. Headed down to Arbroath for the day without the boat and as expected, plenty whitecaps and blowing SW for most of the day.

A600 with 7 people on board is going to be a heavy boat. Conditions change. Suspect you had following wind on route and when you came back out after lunch you were face on, tides will play a big part too. With a full boat it's difficult to power through and chances are the RIB will land heavy coming off short chop and may potentially plough and of course the spray is whipped up.

Couple of things to take from that - make sure everyone has wet weather gear would be my priority if that wasn't already the case. I can count on one hand the best days in the North Sea where it's been t-shirt and shorts weather. Also - you could try running closer to shore. That very much depends on your knowledge of coastline and any underwater hazards. Even alternating course can help - it's very much on conditions, seating arrangements and of course who's on board.

Secondly - take a few reports on the weather as a judgement call, Met Office, XC, BBC coastal, etc. Met office inshore forecast will always identify wind warning for at least 24-36 hours.

Regards sunglasses, not enough in poor weather as skipper. Get yourself a Gekko helmet and visor, or if that's too utilitarian, then a pair of ski googles is just as good.
Many thanks, lots here to digest.
Old 26 August 2024, 14:30   #4

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Hi, hope to see you out and about I keep my RIB at Brixham.

First thing is you did get you and your passengers get home safely if rather wet.

I'd pretty much echo Sparticus:
Always check the weather and be prepared to amend plans if wind / seas are threatening to get up. Think about likely condition on way out and back. This may mean taking fewer people out if weather's looking to get a bit lively, or delaying your return if it picks up whilst you are out if the weather's going to blow through

Always carry wet weather gear, jacket, salopettes / trousers (drysuit possibly) and make sure your passengers have suitable wet weather gear too.

Were there proper seats for all passengers?

Rain is a problem on an open boat. A Gekko helemt is invaluable if you are out in the wet stuff, but I'd try to avoid rain in the first place. A cap can help keep rain off any glasses

Looking for more sheltered flatter water always helps - keeping close in often works - between Hope's Nose and Teignmouth there are few inshore hazards.

Slowing down may have made the journey less wet - was 20-25 knots too fast for the seas / comfort on board?? You often have to judge each wave and work the throttle accordingly.

Hope that is of some help...it's all about building experience.

LT
Old 26 August 2024, 15:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Hi, hope to see you out and about I keep my RIB at Brixham.

First thing is you did get you and your passengers get home safely if rather wet.

I'd pretty much echo Sparticus:
Always check the weather and be prepared to amend plans if wind / seas are threatening to get up. Think about likely condition on way out and back. This may mean taking fewer people out if weather's looking to get a bit lively, or delaying your return if it picks up whilst you are out if the weather's going to blow through

Always carry wet weather gear, jacket, salopettes / trousers (drysuit possibly) and make sure your passengers have suitable wet weather gear too.

Were there proper seats for all passengers?

Rain is a problem on an open boat. A Gekko helemt is invaluable if you are out in the wet stuff, but I'd try to avoid rain in the first place. A cap can help keep rain off any glasses

Looking for more sheltered flatter water always helps - keeping close in often works - between Hope's Nose and Teignmouth there are few inshore hazards.

Slowing down may have made the journey less wet - was 20-25 knots too fast for the seas / comfort on board?? You often have to judge each wave and work the throttle accordingly.

Hope that is of some help...it's all about building experience.

LT
Thanks for this. Yes, there was proper seating for all and luckily everyone had wet weather gear, more by chance than design, so lesson learned there. I did try going slower and also tried a bit faster, but 20-25 seemed to be the boats happiest speed.

Your comment about judging each wave is probably key as to be frank I didn’t really proactively adjust for any waves so clearly that’s something I need to learn from.

I note you live in Gloucester - we’re just outside Gloucester with the holiday home in Shaldon. Small world!
Old 26 August 2024, 16:30   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I was brought up in Shaldon, my mother still lives there...as you say small world especially as you live just outside Gloucester - whereabouts? I'm just off Painswick Road, Feel free to drop me a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I note you live in Gloucester - we’re just outside Gloucester with the holiday home in Shaldon. Small world!
Old 27 August 2024, 09:16   #7

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Hello - I travelled from Torquay to Exmouth, and back, on Saturday, it was indeed 'sporting' out across the bay.

My Highfield Patrol is a pretty dry boat, rarely getting water on board, but we were pretty wet by the time we arrived. Most of the water we encountered was wind blown, the spray rails push the water outwards, the wind threw it back at us!

Occasionally a hard landing off balance will also throw water up, and as other have said, its just the joys of boating in choppy, wind blown seas.

Helmets work, I prefer a GATH to a Gecko and carry a set of these, but usually a good pair of wrap around photosensitive sunnies does the job, as they did the weekend, along with a set of treated waterproofs.

Pick the days, pick the kit, pick the course so you get maximum protection from land and enjoy.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote