Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 22 June 2017, 14:10   #1

Town: Bradford
Length: no boat
Halmatic arctic/pac 28' specifications questions?

Hey folks,

I'm considering taking on a (sizeable...) project converting an arctic 28' to inboard diesel and generally full fit-out as a dive RIB.

Does anyone have any good reliable numbers on the weight of these things? (any configuration so long as it is known)
I did find the "operators manual" for the pac 22 which had good numbers on dry and laden weights etc. but can't find similar for the 28.

Also would be interested to know the overall width of the hull with the tubes deflated.
I think they are 3.05m wide which would be just about legal so long as the side overhang is permitted on the road still since the regs changed.

This all needs to come in at sub 3500kg on trailer which I am thinking may be tight.

Cheers
Chris
Old 22 June 2017, 15:10   #2

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Hey folks,

I'm considering taking on a (sizeable...) project converting an arctic 28' to inboard diesel and generally full fit-out as a dive RIB.

Does anyone have any good reliable numbers on the weight of these things? (any configuration so long as it is known)
I did find the "operators manual" for the pac 22 which had good numbers on dry and laden weights etc. but can't find similar for the 28.

Also would be interested to know the overall width of the hull with the tubes deflated.
I think they are 3.05m wide which would be just about legal so long as the side overhang is permitted on the road still since the regs changed.

This all needs to come in at sub 3500kg on trailer which I am thinking may be tight.

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris

Sorry cannot help you with your specific questions but I am sure there was a thread on here about someone doing exactly the same thing. Might be worth a search.

Good luck

Andy
Old 22 June 2017, 16:50   #3

Yes I found that thread (twister

Some good info but still looking for these details, he ended up with an ovlov D6/330 for 36 knots.

Still looking at potential engine and drive options myself. Doesn't need to be a race boat but needs enough poke to handle the weather.
Old 22 June 2017, 17:25   #4

Town: Usa
Boat name: mgmak
Make: mgmakGD
Length: 3m +
Engine: mgmakGD
MMSI: 2192
Send a message via ICQ to Gobuchul Send a message via AIM to Gobuchul Send a message via Yahoo to Gobuchul Send a message via Skype™ to Gobuchul
Have you tried asking Halmatic? They might be happy to give you some specs?

Boating Business | VT Halmatic Ltd
Old 22 June 2017, 18:12   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Try Humber inflateables they sell them in used boat section
Old 22 June 2017, 21:12   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
These people have a couple of Arctic 28's for sale. On one of them it has a picture of the plate on the trailer and it suggests a max gross weight of 5.4 tonnes. It might be that the trailer has significantly more capacity than required but my guess is that you will struggle to get a Pac 28 and trailer at 3500kg.

DRB Marine Services Limited: Halmatic Arctic 28: 8.5 meter Rib and trailer

They do have a diesel inboard 8.5m Humber RIB for sale which might be what you are after post conversion.
Old 22 June 2017, 21:19   #7

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I think my guess was incorrect.

Arctic boats | BAE Systems | United Kingdom

Based on the info above and as it is BAE, it could very well be wildly inaccurate, you could do a Pac 28 / trailer combo for 3500kg.
Old 23 June 2017, 06:43   #8

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I have to question the use of such a rib for scuba divers. I thought that these ribs have there tubs out of the water at rest. On top of that the tubes are of a large diameter. This combo woul make for a very difficult rib to re enter from the water. I would advise you study photos of ribs at rest before you purchase.
Tsm
Old 23 June 2017, 06:57   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I have to question the use of such a rib for scuba divers. I thought that these ribs have there tubs out of the water at rest. On top of that the tubes are of a large diameter. This combo woul make for a very difficult rib to re enter from the water. I would advise you study photos of ribs at rest before you purchase.
Tsm
ladder mick mine was attached to the A frame and folded up when not in use
Old 23 June 2017, 07:21   #10

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Martini of this parish had a 28 with twin 225 opti's on the back. He doesn't post here much these days but you will find his build thread and you could try a pm.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 07:44   #11

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Engine: Mercury 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
These people have a couple of Arctic 28's for sale. On one of them it has a picture of the plate on the trailer and it suggests a max gross weight of 5.4 tonnes. It might be that the trailer has significantly more capacity than required but my guess is that you will struggle to get a Pac 28 and trailer at 3500kg.

They do have a diesel inboard 8.5m Humber RIB for sale which might be what you are after post conversion.
The plate was from the trailer. Max gross weight = weight of trailer + weight of load, must not exceed 5400kg.
Old 23 June 2017, 08:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Tsm
Yes they have a decent freeboard, I used to dive off my mates humber offshore 10m and that was similar especially up forward but I managed fine.

Still, yarking yourself back aboard after a tech dive onto any RIB is a terrible idea from a fizzyology point of view.

Plan would be some sort of hinged spine ladder over the side to make life easy.
Old 23 June 2017, 08:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post

Good to see one with 2x125's on, makes my thoughts of a 250hp merc engine look somewhere in the right ballpark for power output.