Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 05 January 2020, 07:20   #1

Town: Twyford, Berkshire
Length: no boat
Help to identify this SeaRider please

I've been (almost) given this little SeaRider, but the plate is long gone missing. It seems a little unusual with the bow canopy in two halves that can be laced together. Unfortunately I didn't have a tape measure with me.

Any ideas? Maybe someone even recognises the boat?

Cheers
Chris
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small SR.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	131802
Old 05 January 2020, 08:30   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Now that's a project and no mistake.

Looks like Searider 4.0m. That bow dodger (haven't seen one that uses a lace cuff) can probably be removed of it's not serviceable.

Key questions... does it hold air and what's the transom like?

Is the Range Rover in the background a non-runner?
Old 05 January 2020, 11:02   #3

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Well spotted on the Range Rover

I'm sure I've seen that lace up arrangement on the foredeck of a SR before.

Lot of work to get that one right - some are too far gone for an economic repair.
Old 05 January 2020, 12:43   #4

I'm not sure on the RR - I was in a hurry to look at the SR as we dived out of a family party at a nearby house to look before it got too dark!
I've done a bit with Landy's in the past and drove a 110 and two Disco 1s as my daily until we bought a VW T5 Shuttle - more space for holiday stuff and much improved WAF!!

The foredeck is still serviceable, and the tubes hold air well enough - last inflated about a year ago, and then they held air for a good 48 hrs. It was tried with a 20hp Selva (found on the bottom of the Hamble) but with 5 up at the time it clearly wasn't going to perform very well!

The transom has had a repair - from the inside, large section of GRP cut and replaced with a new ply core. Aluminium angles across the top both sides and overlapping, bolted through. It really doesn't look pretty and I expect to redo fairly soon.

The trailer is sound and rolls well, bearings don't feel bad at all. It will be a 60mile tow home, so that will give it a reasonable test. No brakes, <750kg - handy as I'm only cat B, need to do +E for anything else.

The rest of the hull looks OK so far. It clearly needs a good clean with a pressure washer.

Im currently searching for a suitable engine at the moment, not really sure what to aim for - thinking ~30hp tiller, but kind of hope that I come across a console to put in it. I think it needs to be long shaft? If so, there doesn't seem to be many around at all in the 30-40hp range on the usual sites.

Cheers
Chris
Old 05 January 2020, 13:38   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
It's an early (late 1970s) Avon Searider SR4. Would most probably have originally had side by side seating installed.

Looks like it's salvageable - should make a nice little project even if the transom needs some work, which it sounds like it does.

These were originally rated to take up to a 50hp 2-stroke. A 40 would be spot on. And yes, should be a longshaft unless someone has cut the transom down at some point.

Those old rubber valves often leak a bit; keep the rubber plug well lubricated with silicone grease or similar so they seal a bit better.
Old 05 January 2020, 14:33   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Get the boat turned over on wooden trestles. Once it's clean you'll see what you're dealing with. A rotary mop and cutting compound will bring the gel coat back to life. Cuts, chips and grazes will need additional work.

The tubes, then start with TFR, and a green scouring pad (wear gloves). You can use a little detergent for lubrication. Stubborn marks then Toluene may work. Wear gloves, work outside and work in a small area and wash down afterwards.

Possible engines if you're on a budget.

Yamaha 40hp
https://seamarknunn.com/downloads/usedob/used.pdf

Evinrude 30hp
https://www.andyseedhouseboats.co.uk...6-Evinrude30hp
Old 05 January 2020, 23:40   #7

Town: Inverness
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard 50HP
lace up bow dodger

According to the Avon manuals, The lace up bow dodger was fitted to models sold without any console or seating. It was basically a cheaper way to buy a standard sr4 with no frills. A bare bones version that you could either run with a tiller engine or add your own console too... The lace up giving you flexibility to use it or fold away.
The picture in the manual shows it being used as a yacht tender with a tiller engine and loads of stores being transported where the console/seats would normally be.
Old 06 January 2020, 06:15   #8

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
That early Avon tube fabric was excellent, considerably better than most tube materials these days, it never seemed to get affected by UV like the modern hypalon does.

Shame they didn’t finish the transom properly they are almost always water damaged / delaminated due to being open at the top with a bit of alloy screwed to them
Old 06 January 2020, 08:52   #9

The tubes look like they have been painted at some point, I will take a closer look when I get it home in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks very much for all the input so far.
Old 06 January 2020, 19:43   #10

Town: San Diego
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
I have a 1991 SR 5.4 with the lace up front also. Aftermarket center console set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb13 View Post
I've been (almost) given this little SeaRider, but the plate is long gone missing. It seems a little unusual with the bow canopy in two halves that can be laced together. Unfortunately I didn't have a tape measure with me.

Any ideas? Maybe someone even recognises the boat?

Cheers
Chris
Attachment 131802

Tags
searider