Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 November 2011, 09:58   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Make: Avon Sea Rider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Mercury 4' EFI
Hull Help - previous owner used a grinder

I bought a cheap project boat and the previous owner used a flap disc on a grinder to remove old paint everywhere on the boat, he then repainted with primer and topcoat. Its bumpy!
Ive herd of people using putty filler and then sanding? Its below and above the waterline.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Rib.net
Old 02 November 2011, 22:11   #2

Town: leeds, England
Boat name: RIB Tickler
Make: AVON SR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 50 HP
a Grinder will remove more than paint. can you see the strands in the fibre. if so the gell coat has been removed.
As for filling above or below the water line us wests epoxy filler.

Remeber hull imperfctions induce chine walk.
Old 02 November 2011, 22:24   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib T View Post
a Grinder will remove more than paint. can you see the strands in the fibre. if so the gell coat has been removed.
As for filling above or below the water line us wests epoxy filler.

Remeber hull imperfctions induce chine walk.
But he owns a searider ? .. he should be more worried about gaffa tape drag
Old 02 November 2011, 22:52   #4

Lol, its not on the searider. Its on a project boat (non Rib) shhh dont tell.
No strands can be seen thanks god, looks like he has cut into the top of the gelcoat only.
Will check out wests filler, thanks.

Old 03 November 2011, 03:28   #5

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
Fairing

From a yacht perspective filling and faring is very common but then we paint the hull. if you are happy with a painted finish it is easy and a bit like bondo on a car. but make sure you use a good marine grade filler and take your time. rush this bit and it will look crap and might affect performance. I try and use an epifanes 2 part filler that i get from marineware in southampton and it dos the job really well. west filler is more than adequate for the job but I found the epifans stuff much easier to sand, thus the job gos faster. though if you are doing large rough areas a trick we have used is to wet the area with neat epoxy, (make sure the area is rough though it dosnt sound like you have that problem)
let it get tacky then apply a thickend mix of micro ballons/fairing compound with a square toothed plastering hawk. this allows much easier sanding and gets the applied filler to the correct height much faster. you can then fill in the areas between the hawk marks Be carefull not to make low spots around the high areas when sanding. When doing dinghys and yachts we wet the hull then go around with a rag and permanant marker and mark all the low spots visible first, usually with a couple of us doing it . try not to sand in just one direction and get yourself/make yourself a good long board and it will all be alot easier. to be honest a quick internet search under yacht/dinghy fairing will yeild lots of information put up by more experienced people than me. also racing power boat people call it hull blue printing.
Hope that is of some help and it all makes sense. Im a bit tired so it all sort of fell out onto the keyboard.
Old 03 November 2011, 08:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs
From a yacht perspective filling and faring is very common but then we paint the hull. if you are happy with a painted finish it is easy and a bit like bondo on a car. but make sure you use a good marine grade filler and take your time. rush this bit and it will look crap and might affect performance. I try and use an epifanes 2 part filler that i get from marineware in southampton and it dos the job really well. west filler is more than adequate for the job but I found the epifans stuff much easier to sand, thus the job gos faster. though if you are doing large rough areas a trick we have used is to wet the area with neat epoxy, (make sure the area is rough though it dosnt sound like you have that problem)
let it get tacky then apply a thickend mix of micro ballons/fairing compound with a square toothed plastering hawk. this allows much easier sanding and gets the applied filler to the correct height much faster. you can then fill in the areas between the hawk marks Be carefull not to make low spots around the high areas when sanding. When doing dinghys and yachts we wet the hull then go around with a rag and permanant marker and mark all the low spots visible first, usually with a couple of us doing it . try not to sand in just one direction and get yourself/make yourself a good long board and it will all be alot easier. to be honest a quick internet search under yacht/dinghy fairing will yeild lots of information put up by more experienced people than me. also racing power boat people call it hull blue printing.
Hope that is of some help and it all makes sense. Im a bit tired so it all sort of fell out onto the keyboard.
Thanks andyxs good chunk of info, will upload a pic of the damage. Boat looks like a golf ball. Lol