Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Hydraulic steering

I am considering installing hydrauli steering. I have two concerns

1) I have a Ultra flex steering system at the moment. It is quite conjested at the moment. Will a hydraulic helm unit protrude more or less into the consul?

2) There is one cable linking the engine to the helm. This runs through a duct/ trunking. which is quite conjested. Am I correct to say that there are two hoses linking the helm to the engine? how do these hoses compair to the cable for pulling throuh the trunking? i.e are they thicker, stiffer etc.

I have used KY jelly to get cables throught the trunk are there any other suggestions as the cables etc that are in the trunk at present seem to be tight

TSM
Old 09 August 2010, 10:21   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Different helm pumps are different sizes I'm sure. However, mine sticks out further than teleflex steering, but is a smaller diameter, so you may be ok. They should have the dimensions on the web. The pipes are thinner than a steering cable, but there are two of them. They will be more flexible than cable steering as well, so maybe easier to feed through the duct.
Old 09 August 2010, 15:30   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
2) There is one cable linking the engine to the helm. This runs through a duct/ trunking. which is quite conjested. Am I correct to say that there are two hoses linking the helm to the engine?
There will be three, eventually. One to each side of the steering ram, and one throttle/shift cable, as I recall. But for the helm itself, yes, two hoses.

I think they're generally about the same size as a steering cable, so figure on about twice what you've got now. You should be able to get exact hose dimensions on the manufacturers website.

jky
Old 09 August 2010, 21:21   #4

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
hydraulic helm protrudes less into the console, hydraulic pipes take tight bends easier than cable, i was going to use cable steering purely because it costs less than hydraulic, but i could not get the steering cable through the under deck conduit so i kind of had to go for a hydraulic setup, chap on ebay was doing seastar kits for £450 not including oil but still a decent price http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...ab=AllFeedback
baystar was about £400 so i thought the £50 more was worth it