Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 August 2021, 06:35   #1

Town: VALENCIA
Boat name: Madueño
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki df250
Inexpensive Portable Shower 12v for small ribs (DIY)

How to build a portable shower (electrical 12v) using very simple and cheap elements for small boats and ribs

https://youtu.be/3Xzc5DDAyv4
Old 26 August 2021, 07:18   #2

Length: 3m +
That's a nice idea but an absolutely shocking design and execution.

The mounting bracket just makes you wince with its sharp corners, only being fixed at an edge and then sticking out the way it does!! And that's before the exposed electrical in a maritime environment.

Why not use a right angle bracket so that the mounting board is flat to the side of the tank? Why have those sharp edges on the board? Why not encase the motor with an old Tupperware box screwed down onto the board and sealed with a bit of silicone?

But maybe the biggest question is how is this chap permitted out without his carer?

If you have a marine fuel tank, a boat and a desire to electrically pump fluid why wouldn't you just put a marine pump in via the filler and bring the power through the breather hole? I think the chap has a screw lose.
Old 27 August 2021, 07:42   #3

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
For about $30-$40 you can get a pump, trigger and shower head that you can drop into any water carrying device. However this doesn't warm water at all. The commercial boats Im skippering with shellfish divers use a connection off a powerhead anode (anode removed). A tap and hose then runs from the engine enabling hot water for the divers who spend most of the day in the water to warm their suits before putting them on and also to warm up and wash at the end of the day. Water temps have been around 12'c over the last 6 weeks so hot water is quite a luxury even if it is salty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 5.34.21 pm.png
Views:	47
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	138592  
Old 27 August 2021, 09:16   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
That's a nice idea but an absolutely shocking design and execution.

The mounting bracket just makes you wince with its sharp corners, only being fixed at an edge and then sticking out the way it does!! And that's before the exposed electrical in a maritime environment.

Why not use a right angle bracket so that the mounting board is flat to the side of the tank? Why have those sharp edges on the board? Why not encase the motor with an old Tupperware box screwed down onto the board and sealed with a bit of silicone?

But maybe the biggest question is how is this chap permitted out without his carer?

If you have a marine fuel tank, a boat and a desire to electrically pump fluid why wouldn't you just put a marine pump in via the filler and bring the power through the breather hole? I think the chap has a screw lose.
Submersible caravan water pump, suitable length of plastic hose and an old shower head.
Peanuts & you just drop the pump into any water container without the need to cut holes or anything else.
I use one (without the shower head!) to refill my tropical tank during the weekly partial water change. The pump cost me nothing.
Would work just as well if you wanted to use a container as an improvised live bait well for joeys or sandeels, just drop the pump over the side.

Or jonp's gizmo which looks much the same but posher

I'm getting a bit too old for cold showers!

Tags
rib