Old 10 January 2002, 23:20   #1

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
L.B.S. Environment Agency Rye Harbour Stand

Hope you all enjoy the boat show, buy plenty of toys and look forward to the summer!

I will be joining BIBOA this year (when I find the form) and look forward to joining Keith in the SBS (Small boat section) - My TomKat's 3m

Anyway... Back the the London Boat Show.

My wife Cath (Kemp) has designed and is managing the Environment Agencys stand which is near the RNLI stand on the way through to the back hall.

Cath works for the "Recreation and Navigation" section of the agency so would love to talk to anyone about the agencys rivers and harbous and their use for "Ribbing".

"Situated on the beautiful Sussex coast, the Harbour of Rye is maintained by the Environment Agency as a public right of navigation." www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Cath has plenty of info if anybody lives in that area and wish to use Rye to launch their boat - or indead any of rivers that the Agency control navigation such as the River Thames (upsteam of London)

So if you are going to the boat show - pop and see Cath and maybe we could plan some cruises from Rye or on the Agency Rivers (For the SBS!)

Have a good time
Old 12 January 2002, 08:40   #2

Town: Falkirk
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5.8
Engine: Mariner 125hp outboard
BIBOA application form

You can find an online printable application form for BIBOA at www.biboa.org.uk/form.htm

Hope this is of some help to you

IanA
Old 14 January 2002, 20:18   #3

Launching on Thames info ?

One of the reasons for recently purchasing a RIB was my intention ( as well as bombing round the Solent ) to try & take it down the Thames.

We are very near Walton on Thames, which has an excellent slipway within easy reach of some lovely parts of the Thames.

What I dont understand is all the crazy bureacracy in trying to get river licence, it seems so complicated to try & get a day out on the river.

Can you give any further guidance for obtaining day licences ?
Old 14 January 2002, 21:23   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Can't help you with the non-tidal thames....

but we've been out several times on the tidal Thames, including the BIBOA Thames cruises (11 boats total) which we will be repeating this year. For the tidal thames the best resource is the tideway website that is run by some bloke called Kennett. Dodgy character, but I'm sure he'll remind us of the url wont you John?!
PLA website is also worth looking at www.pla.org.uk iirc.

No licence required for Tidal thames. Worth having an awareness of the byelaws for the almost inevitable encounter with a PLA launch. Might get stopped by the police as well but they are generally friendly. (More friendly than the PLA!).

Cheers, Alan
Old 14 January 2002, 21:58   #5

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
In my exp' with non tidal waters & rivers licenses is that you Simply go to your local marina or river authority, in my case British Waterways now own my local marina in Nottingham (Sawley Marina) and pay for a day license.

You are now required to show your insurance certificate to the authority.

Normally cost £6-£8 for day license for the day

Jahno
Old 15 January 2002, 07:59   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Whilst I have no doubt that the Property Litigation Association's web site is very interesting, you may find www.portoflondon.co.uk more useful in this case

The other site that Alan alluded to is Tideway and you'll find that at www.thames-tideway.co.uk

It could do with updating in places, and if anyone has specific up to date information about the tidal thames the webmaster would be very interested to hear . . .

You can launch at any point on the non-tidal Thames without a licence, but the lock keepers check every time you do through a lock which restricts your range rather. You can get day licences from the Envirinment Agency (I think you have to aply in writing to their Caversham offices), or from Teddington Lock. I don't know what safety requirements are enforced on visiting boats.

As you are in Walton, I would suggest that you drive a few miles down to Petersham (near Richmond) and launch there. It's free, and no licence is required. The launch site is at the end of River Lane and is a small beach -- it might be worth checking it out before you turn up with the boat as I haven't been there for quite a while!

From there you can cruise up to Teddington, or down as far as Richmond without having to worry about locks or tides. I recommend the White Swan at Twickenham where you can beach your RIB right outside! Alternatively pick a big spring tide at high water (conveniently at about lunchtime), and go to Richmond where you'll be able to drive your boat right round carelessly parked cars!

Ther river here is semi tidal, and maintained at or above half tide by the lock/weir at Richmond. If you want to go further down river then it's best to time it so that you go out and return past Richmond between HW +/- 2 hours to avoid using the lock.

Just a few thoughts

John
Old 15 January 2002, 12:04   #7

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Matiboy!

I have snet a mail to "the boss" who will get some info on licences and access for the Thames and I will post a reply here.

So - watch this space!