Old 16 March 2021, 20:58   #1

Town: Broxburn
Make: Dory
Length: 5m +
Launch sea Scotland

Hi, I bought a Rip at the beginning of the Covit, I couldn't use it for winter and lockdown. where are the best launch? Scotland Ford and North of England thank you
Old 17 March 2021, 00:56   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocimium View Post
Hi, I bought a Rip at the beginning of the Covit, I couldn't use it for winter and lockdown. where are the best launch? Scotland Ford and North of England thank you
I'm wondering if "Scotland Ford" was autocorrect for Scotland, Forth?

From Broxburn your obvious place is Port Edgar (S. Queensferry).
Beyond that in the Forth if its actually a RIB you'll struggle unless experienced on a dodgy slip with a 4x4 or willing to travel out to North Queensferry or somewhere like Elie.

IMHO though West is Best and you'll find Inverkip or Largs providing good beginner friendly slipways into the Clyde, along with load of others that may suit depending on size of boat and car etc - I'm not sure if Boatlaunch is up-to-date but it will have hundreds if not thousands of slips in Scotland so you might want to narrow it down.

Sorry I can't really help with the N of England - there are a few posters from the NE but by the time you've travelled there from Broxburn you could be in Oban/Crinan/Taynuilt with better cruising grounds (more options, more shelter, prettier, etc)
Old 19 March 2021, 20:36   #3

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Mariner
The lifeboat slip at South Queensferry is serviceable above about 1/4 tide, but parking is an issue with a trailer.

Better jumping on the M8 and using the Coronation Park slip in Port Glasgow to access the Clyde. It's free, loads of free parking and works at all but the lowest of low tides.
Old 20 March 2021, 10:29   #4

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Engine: Etec 40
Granton harbour in Edinburgh has a free slip and free parking, you can just park on roadside.
I think Newhaven harbour is free also but parking aint so good.

albeit on both you would have to be back before low tide to put back on trailer.
Old 20 March 2021, 12:23   #5

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Engine: Suzuki 20
Kip slip requires a phone call before going a few days before to make sure it is cleaned. It is normally full of sand and it isn't much use below half tide for anything but a small boat as it levels out.

I personally wouldn't use coronation Park either, not secure at all and it's 2 hour ish sail to get anywhere worth going (assuming 20 knots).

I would recommend just keep going to Largs and lots of places are within an hour or so.

Can't say about the forth, never launched on it.
Old 20 March 2021, 17:50   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
The lifeboat slip at South Queensferry is serviceable above about 1/4 tide, but parking is an issue with a trailer.
I might be out of date - but I think you are still supposed to pay to use it (and have to go to Port Edgar to pay)?

Quote:
I personally wouldn't use coronation Park either, not secure at all and it's 2 hour ish sail to get anywhere worth going (assuming 20 knots).
You should be able to get into the Kyles of Bute in about an hour at 20knots from Port Glasgow? It also offers other options like heading upriver, towards Arrochar or Lochgoilhead. It wouldn't necessarily be my no 1 choice, but then another 20 minutes each way in the car isn't perfect either.
Old 26 March 2021, 17:27   #7

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Port Edgar is great. Just pay the money for no hassle parking, facilities and no jet skis. If you have to travel at all book a berth for a couple of nights and enjoy some no launch boating. I used to stick it in for a week occasionally and they’d store the trailer. Depending on experience level/ boat size the forth can get pretty wild pretty quick so an eye on the weather is essential. You can visit prob about ten places plus easily within an hour of it and some spectacular views and wildlife. Newhaven for a meal and lots of other gems to explore.
Old 26 March 2021, 23:14   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Port Edgar is great. Just pay the money for no hassle parking, facilities and no jet skis. If you have to travel at all book a berth for a couple of nights and enjoy some no launch boating. I used to stick it in for a week occasionally and they’d store the trailer. Depending on experience level/ boat size the forth can get pretty wild pretty quick so an eye on the weather is essential. You can visit prob about ten places plus easily within an hour of it and some spectacular views and wildlife. Newhaven for a meal and lots of other gems to explore.
I'd agree port Edgar is handy for playing around the fourth & the islands are well worth a visit. But the slipway is awfull its so shallow you either need a very long rope or your car is taking a dip in the sea. Its so shallow even using a rope to launch the boat hardly rolls down the slipway. Not quite so bad at higher tides but definitely not one of the better slips I've used
I'll be looking at some of the other suggestions here for my next visit
Old 03 April 2021, 21:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I'd agree port Edgar is handy for playing around the fourth & the islands are well worth a visit. But the slipway is awfull its so shallow you either need a very long rope or your car is taking a dip in the sea. Its so shallow even using a rope to launch the boat hardly rolls down the slipway. Not quite so bad at higher tides but definitely not one of the better slips I've used
I'll be looking at some of the other suggestions here for my next visit

Yeah go nearer high tide and park up for the weekend. There’s a lot more than the islands !
Old 03 April 2021, 22:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Yeah go nearer high tide and park up for the weekend. There’s a lot more than the islands !
Thats alright if you want to be out for 12 hours & its a morning hight tide but otherwise its a tad inconvenient. Even the top of the slip is still very shallow
Old 04 April 2021, 08:04   #11

Quote:
Thats alright if you want to be out for 12 hours & its a morning hight tide but otherwise its a tad inconvenient. Even the top of the slip is still very shallow

Sorry was meaning get a berth. Your right it’s a crap place to launch retrieve but a great place if you spend a few days on the pontoons exploring [emoji106]
Old 04 April 2021, 13:27   #12

Yeh theres definitely plenty to explore in the area to keep you busy for a good few days. I find deserted islands fascinating & theres plenty of those in the fourth. We've spent a couple of nights on the pontoons a few years ago in our cruiser
Old 04 April 2021, 13:52   #13

Quote:
Yeh theres definitely plenty to explore in the area to keep you busy for a good few days. I find deserted islands fascinating & theres plenty of those in the fourth. We've spent a couple of nights on the pontoons a few years ago in our cruiser

Yeah they are good, not to mention all the ports a trip away. Newhaven for fish and chips, dysart museum and cafe, east neuk, isle of may. As good as the west coast without the pesky midges [emoji23]