Old 03 June 2020, 13:40   #1

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Learning Curve

I launch in Lymington last Thursday and proceeded around to the fuel barge to wait for a mate to fuel up, I got chatting to chap bailing out his Rib-Eye. He'd forgotten to fit its bung and it was pretty much full of water! Having noticed the issue he dropped his family off, donned his wet suit, dived in and screwed the bung back in. He thought he could drain it while underway but had too much water in to raise the bow. On returning to the quay the bilge pump was hard at work but was exiting water at no more than 15 litres/min. After a while the chap operating the fuel barge suggested he ran his engine to avoid a flat battery, he did and the engine exhaust gurgled away under the waterline. He has one of his passengers catch the ejected water from the pump into a sand castle bucket and throw it over board otherwise the water just collected in the engine well. Anyway, we left and wished him well, I'm glad to say we saw him arrive at Totland Bay a couple of hours later.
We met again, this time at the ramp and after a short wait he backed down to the water to retrieve his boat. Some 15 mins later the lane next to him cleared and I reversed down the ramp until the rear rollers submerged - I was surprised that his Land-Rover was some distance further down the ramp and the rear of his trailer about 3 foot underwater. They had the bow winched in tight but the rear was floating and blowing in the wind, I gently suggested it would be hard to load with the trailer so deep. At that point they decided to drive up the ramp and hope to catch the rib on the trailer as they pulled forward.
The last I heard was that a chunk of gelcoat has been lost as the boat snagged on the metal frame holding the rollers - but not to worry money can fix anything!
At least the sun shone and they got out, but I'm sure there is C.7m Rib-Eye for sale in Bedfordshire!
Old 03 June 2020, 14:02   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
You see it all.

We've all made mistakes at some point, just goes with the territory.

We normally launch out of Stonehaven (NE Scotland), and on a warm day when we didn't have this bleed'n virus to contend with it's very busy. Kids playing in the sand, folk drinking on the waterfront, prepared to scrutinize your trailer manoeuvre! At one point I had to get parents to move their kids, reversing over sandcastles to retrieve the boat. Honestly - some folk.

Also met a guy playing with his new Highfield RIB once we got out. He's launched earlier and we'd come across him exiting the harbour. Prior to that we'd found what I assume was his trailer winch handle! Mentioned it to him and he about turned and headed back to see where we'd left it on the harbour wall.
Old 03 June 2020, 14:21   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Ah, the old forget to put the bung in test.

Nos4r2 will remember holding my Ankles one time whilst I went upside down over the transom of my RIB with my head right underwater in the Camber to put the bung in.

The black oily water and P155 taking from in the boat taught me a lesson that day.

Nasher.