Old 03 September 2014, 11:36   #1

Town: Chester
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
Life Jacket Advice

I'm new to ribbing and wondered if there was any advice on the type of lifejacket for rib cruising? Automatic, self inflating it's a minefield. Also what best for children aged 6 and 8?? Any thoughts much appreciated.
Any recommendations??
Old 03 September 2014, 11:56   #2

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
We have auto's, the wet dissolvy trigger type, not hammar pressure trigger ones. There is a big argument either way between those two. The hammar ones are apparently less prone to false triggering when you get a face full of spray, but I know sailors who have had the dissolving trigger ones for years in vile weather and never had an issue. i'd always go auto though as the thought of being unconscious or impaired due to cold in the water an not being able to find/pull a string does not make me comfortable.

For kids, foam jackets until they are old enough to fully understand how to pull an emergency release, and not to pull it when it isn't needed. No need to worry about it not inflating for whatever reason or then just playing with the very tempting pull cord. Also helps keep them warm in our stunning northern summer months.

Just my thoughts.....

Phil
Old 03 September 2014, 12:00   #3

Thanks Phil seems like good advice any brand recommendations?
Old 03 September 2014, 12:34   #4

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
We have auto's, the wet dissolvy trigger type, not hammar pressure trigger ones. There is a big argument either way between those two. The hammar ones are apparently less prone to false triggering when you get a face full of spray, but I know sailors who have had the dissolving trigger ones for years in vile weather and never had an issue. i'd always go auto though as the thought of being unconscious or impaired due to cold in the water an not being able to find/pull a string does not make me comfortable.

For kids, foam jackets until they are old enough to fully understand how to pull an emergency release, and not to pull it when it isn't needed. No need to worry about it not inflating for whatever reason or then just playing with the very tempting pull cord. Also helps keep them warm in our stunning northern summer months.

Just my thoughts.....

Phil
+1

I have Kru Sport for me (the previous version of this: Kru Sport Pro ISO Auto Lifejacket) and a couple of 150N Auto lifejackets (similar to this: Commodore ISO Life Jackets) for the missus and guests (various makes but all similar type). I have foam ones (two sizes of this: Baltic Child's 100N Lifejacket 15-30kgs - Only £33.95 - Force 4 Chandlery) for my 6/3 year old boys, for the same reason Phil put in his post.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2014, 13:57   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post

Just my thoughts.....

Phil
I've had 2 "wet pellet" type lifejackets go off without reason, apart from being wet I only have Hammars now.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2014, 14:42   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I had one occasion when two of my crew had lifejackets inflate on board somewhere off Cape Wrath. It was an exciting day with a lot of water coming at us, and it's the only time it's happened to me.

Interestingly one was the pellet design, but the other was a Hammar which shouldn't have gone off but did. Go figure, as they say. I was fine BTW because I stayed tucked behind the windscreen

All my lifejackets are auto, using the old school soluble pellet mechanism, and I'm happy with that choice. Most of the premature inflations that I've heard about have been when kit has been stored wet, not when it's actually in use.

Either way definitely get auto, and definitely foam buoyancy life jackets for kids.
Old 03 September 2014, 15:15   #7

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	98488

As you can see I favour the self inflator and have the family in buoyancy aids with a self inflator and a couple of auto inflate ones stashed in case of any extreme scenario
Old 03 September 2014, 15:59   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMW View Post
Thanks Phil seems like good advice any brand recommendations?
Whatever brand you buy make sure it's fitted with crotch straps and every time you put the jacket on, make sure they're correctly attached.

I wear a 275n auto-inflate jacket (I defeated anorexia) and if you ever see one of those inflate on someone who's not wearing the straps it will ride up over their head very quickly and become potentially dangerous to the wearer.

The 150n obviously doesn't contain as much buoyancy as the 275n but I'd still advise anyone to buy a jacket with crotch straps - and wear them correctly.
Old 03 September 2014, 16:05   #9

I think the resounding advice is a self inflator, but now what about 150N vs 275N. Is this related to your weight or is it better to go with the highest number? Thanks again for all of your advice and help - much appreciated!
Old 03 September 2014, 16:25   #10

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
I think the resounding advice is a self inflator, but now what about 150N vs 275N. Is this related to your weight or is it better to go with the highest number? Thanks again for all of your advice and help - much appreciated!
Johnny, the numbers relate to the amount of buoyancy the inflated jacket will provide and it's extremely important that the buoyancy provided by the jacket matches the individual and the clobber they're wearing.

A 275n for my missus would be potentially dangerous because it would likely 'ride up' over her head and a 150n for me, particularly if I'm wearing a dry suit, could potentially have me in all sorts of bother quite quickly too.

Check out this excellent link to the RNLI 'Choosing a lifejacket' page
Old 03 September 2014, 16:52   #11

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I'd reinforce the idea of solid foam for children of that age - providing you can get the right size - there's a max weight for most of them & doesn't always relate to the age range quoted so that is worth checking.

My two now 10 & 11 moved onto auto-jackets last year.

Some of it may depend on your boating, if you spend much of your time pootling around in rivers at low speed one could argue that the need for an auto is less. Others amy disagree

As others have said crotch straps essential for any LJ child or adult
Old 04 September 2014, 00:50   #12

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Johnny,
Definitely Auto. If someone hits the water at high speed they're going to be dazed if not unconscious so unable to pull an inflation cord.
Follow RNLI link advice as regards buoyancy, more is always better (but might be un-necessary depending on the conditions you go out in) provided the jacket can still be made to fit the wearer snugly.
For the kids, I don't have an issue with them wearing auto-gas (mine do) - it is very unusual for them to fail to inflate. The foam ones do however keep them warmer and are cheaper if they're growing fast. Please don't however confuse a foam bouyancy aid for a life-jacket.
All jackets should have crotch-straps fitted and always be fitted properly & snugly.
I'd recommend considering also the following:-
  • Carrying one spare lifejacket
  • Carry a spare killcord incase the helmsman goes overboard.
  • Assuming you're typically at the helm, consider how your family would recover you if you went overboard.
  • Make sure the family all know what to do in an MOB situation. Practice with a fender / bucket, but never with a person, other than stationary and moored, to practice getting someone back on board.

don't mean to make this sound over-dramatic but a bit of preparation can prevent a simple slip developing into a proper disaster.
Happy boating.
Old 04 September 2014, 06:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Johnny,

Definitely Auto. If someone hits the water at high speed they're going to be dazed if not unconscious so unable to pull an inflation cord.

Follow RNLI link advice as regards buoyancy, more is always better (but might be un-necessary depending on the conditions you go out in) provided the jacket can still be made to fit the wearer snugly.

For the kids, I don't have an issue with them wearing auto-gas (mine do) - it is very unusual for them to fail to inflate. The foam ones do however keep them warmer and are cheaper if they're growing fast. Please don't however confuse a foam bouyancy aid for a life-jacket.

All jackets should have crotch-straps fitted and always be fitted properly & snugly.

I'd recommend considering also the following:-
  • Carrying one spare lifejacket
  • Carry a spare killcord incase the helmsman goes overboard.
  • Assuming you're typically at the helm, consider how your family would recover you if you went overboard.
  • Make sure the family all know what to do in an MOB situation. Practice with a fender / bucket, but never with a person, other than stationary and moored, to practice getting someone back on board.

don't mean to make this sound over-dramatic but a bit of preparation can prevent a simple slip developing into a proper disaster.

Happy boating.

Hi John,

Thanks for the comprehensive advice I will go full harness/leg strap automatic, probably for my eldest daughter too, but keep the little one in foam for a while longer. Good advice on the kill cord, I'll make sure I carry two at all times and agree it would be good to practise MOB procedures with a bouy. As you say preparing well can prevent a simple accident, especially at speed.

Thanks everyone for their time in responding I think I'm sorted.
Cheers

Johnny
Old 04 September 2014, 06:50   #14

Quote:
I'm new to ribbing and wondered if there was any advice on the type of lifejacket for rib cruising? Automatic, self inflating it's a minefield. Also what best for children aged 6 and 8?? Any thoughts much appreciated.
Any recommendations??
Welcome to rib.net - beware the question that generates 20 answers none of which answer your question just tell you what they do for their boating.

So I'm not going to answer just ask more questions:

What risks have you identified? And other than life jackets what have you done to control those risks?

What do you mean by rib cruising? What is your cruising ground? What is your worst cruising conditions you'd plan to be out in? How sure are you conditions wouldn't deteriorate?

What gear are you wearing? Shorts & t shirt, wet suit, oilskins dry suit?

If you go for a swim who can rescue you?

Do u cruise alone?

What distress alerting kit do you carry?

What do you do alongside cruising... Ringos , skiing etc? Swimming? Launch procedure or marina?

Probability of night rescue or fog rescue?
Old 04 September 2014, 08:24   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Welcome to rib.net - beware the question that generates 20 answers none of which answer your question just tell you what they do for their boating.
Or beware the question that even though it has been answered comprehensively by several people all agreeing (auto for you, foam buoyancy for the kids) still generates 20 questions from someone else!
Old 04 September 2014, 10:33   #16

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Or beware the question that even though it has been answered comprehensively by several people all agreeing (auto for you, foam buoyancy for the kids) still generates 20 questions from someone else!
+ 1
Old 06 September 2014, 12:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
It was only 15 :-p

Completely agree 'auto for you' but there could be other acceptable answers. But then the hanmar vs normal auto question arises and the 150 vs 275N. Not sure all that was written about 275 was true. Well fitted to a light weight person I can't see why it would rise up. But I also suspect that in a family cruising situation a 275 should never be necessary, but if he is thinking of boating alone in wilder places it might have a role.

Also agree 'foam for kids'. But the OP has taken the decision to get his 8 year old an auto... ...presumably based on what was posted here. 99% of the time that'll be fine. The 1% it fails to auto I hope she remembers and has the strength to tug the handle. Only ever tugged one once and it was old and possibly crusty but it took a big pull. I wasn't wearing it at the time... May be easier worn. When the army capsized a boat with kids on a few years ago there were issues with lifejackets being switched to manual (not a choice on most consumer LJs) and people not remembering to pull the handle in the chaos. Of course my child is a child genius so he would remember... ...wouldn't he?

willk made a good point the other day about visitor LJs and people giving the scruffy one to the guest. There is something to be said for the person in charge taking the last effective device, but also bear in mind those not in charge could be rescued by the person in charge the reverse may not apply. But actually provided they notice I've gone over, pressing the Red Button on my already kill cord stopped boat would probably be enough. And me wearing a less able life jacket might mean I take less chances...
Old 09 September 2014, 04:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
It was only 15 :-p

Completely agree 'auto for you' but there could be other acceptable answers. But then the hanmar vs normal auto question arises and the 150 vs 275N. Not sure all that was written about 275 was true. Well fitted to a light weight person I can't see why it would rise up. But I also suspect that in a family cruising situation a 275 should never be necessary, but if he is thinking of boating alone in wilder places it might have a role.

Also agree 'foam for kids'. But the OP has taken the decision to get his 8 year old an auto... ...presumably based on what was posted here. 99% of the time that'll be fine. The 1% it fails to auto I hope she remembers and has the strength to tug the handle. Only ever tugged one once and it was old and possibly crusty but it took a big pull. I wasn't wearing it at the time... May be easier worn. When the army capsized a boat with kids on a few years ago there were issues with lifejackets being switched to manual (not a choice on most consumer LJs) and people not remembering to pull the handle in the chaos. Of course my child is a child genius so he would remember... ...wouldn't he?

willk made a good point the other day about visitor LJs and people giving the scruffy one to the guest. There is something to be said for the person in charge taking the last effective device, but also bear in mind those not in charge could be rescued by the person in charge the reverse may not apply. But actually provided they notice I've gone over, pressing the Red Button on my already kill cord stopped boat would probably be enough. And me wearing a less able life jacket might mean I take less chances...

More good points and agree that foam is probably best for the kids as they are fool proof and will also provide insulation to a certain extent. I'm looking for a set of 4/6auto life jackets which will be useful for guests and spares on board.
Old 09 September 2014, 05:54   #19

Any thoughts on harness or no harness with life jackets?? Thanks
Old 09 September 2014, 06:20   #20

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Any thoughts on harness or no harness with life jackets?? Thanks
If you mean a tether to the boat, then no. I wear an auto lifejacket, obligatory crotch strap over a 2-piece offshore waterproof suit. I normally helm so I'm wearing the kill cord too. Last thing I'd want - would be to be connected to the boat if I fell out.

Different story for those that are on yachts miles from anywhere, and possibly taking turns in rough weather. This is a useful link, sobering reading, for the dangers of using them.

How your harness could kill you | Yachting World