Old 25 September 2024, 18:52   #1

Town: Lincolnshire, East Anglia
Length: no boat
Looking for a 1st RIB

Hi, I've recently passed my PB2 course, and would like a RIB, but am torn between 4m vs 6m (or anything in between), I live in Norfolk, and would like to go out on the wash, and north Norfolk coast, as well as crossing the Solent to the IOW on holiday, and Brownsea Island etc too.

Please could I have the Pro's / Cons of the larger vs smaller RIBs to help me decide what I want to get. I have 4 people in the family, I would like a 4stroke engine, and they'd like to stay dry in slightly choppier weather.

Thanks
Old 25 September 2024, 21:35   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcashmore11 View Post
I have 4 people in the family, I would like a 4stroke engine, and they'd like to stay dry in slightly choppier weather.

Thanks
I'd suggest that all but rules out a 4m... If you want to fit in 4 people and have good comfort/dry ride in choppy weather, 5.5-6m probably sounds more appropriate, especially if you want the family to enjoy it and come back again! But very much depends on your planned usage, how often you'll be 4 up, what type of seating you want for the family, where you will store it, etc.
Old 26 September 2024, 07:08   #3

Town: Norwich
Boat name: edna
Make: osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Hi, I used to run a rib charter out of Morston and Blakeney on the norfolk coast.
With a 4m rib you're going to get wet, I would suggest something 5.5m meters or above, even then passengers towards the back of the boat would get wet, depending on the wind, choopyness and speed of boat.
On many occasions we didn't go out beyond the point at blakeney due to the chop. This was in a 5.75 ribx

By coincidence I have a 5.5m with a two stroke and a 6.5m with a 135hp fourstroke up for sale.
The 6.5m would be the driest. Its on a refurbed trailer see the ad in the for sale section.
If you would like to chat feel free to call 07778197993
Old 26 September 2024, 12:46   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
A few other things to throw into the mix. Think about what you're towing with? 6m RIBs then you're into braked trailers. Also consider storage of the boat, at home, on a berth or dry stack. A 4.8m RIB will just about squeeze in a domestic garage.

Launching, if its good slips where you can literally reverse and unhook the RIB from the trailer, that's luxury. If you ever need to unhitch the trailer, then you won't be able to shift it on anything other than concrete.

If you're new to RIBs, and thinking about your family, then you want seating for all. Ribeye A600 has some nice seating options, RIbquest too, or conventional jockey seats. The seat in front of the console (if one exists) or even bow cushion doesn't count.

Budget will dictate what you finally get.

Tags
rib