Old 21 January 2005, 16:48   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
LPG Conversion

Hi

Having just had my LandCruiser 4.7V8 Lpg converted I got talking to the LPGA fitter about the possibilities of Gas Converting an outboard. Obviously you would need to use it a lot to justify the expense but has anyone on here done it?

I know it would only work realisticly if you trailered your boat as you would have to use a normal garage to fill up on LPG but was just curious, as the gas tank is the same size as a reasonable fuel tank which could either fit under a rear bench seat or I guess inside the Steering consule.

Just got me thinking....... (perhaps that is not a good thing!!!!)
Old 21 January 2005, 16:55   #2
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
I believe that some marinas do sell LPG already. Pretty sure mine has it although im doubtful that its ever been used.

All it takes is one person to start a trend
Old 21 January 2005, 17:20   #3

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I'd pondered this old chestnut myself, my 110 Landrover has been on gas for 5 years now. Downside is its hard to refuel at sea, so you would still need a duel fuel capbility.

I'd be tempted to install a gas alarm too, good point is the tank is usually better made than a petrol tank (automotive) this raises the question of a manufacturer producing a marine spec tank. There must be one.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2005, 18:31   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
The Outboard would have to be 4 stroke it's been tried before and wasn't a winner. petrol inboard conversions have met with more success!

You can get LPG on the Hamble at Automarine and he'll covert your Mercruiser for you if you want. Personally I think the tank might be a bit big !
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2005, 21:34   #5

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
I've a friend with a Bayliner.. er no ..sorry I meant Humber researched an lpg conversion with prompting from me ( also run a 110 on gas), had a short conversation with his insurance co.
"will you insure me on gas?"
"NO"
Old 21 January 2005, 23:07   #6

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Yet they allow it for cooking and they allow that liquidy petrol stuff to slosh about all over the shop!!

The tank would take up more space as its rounded corners lose the space a petrol or diesel tank would use, slightly less efficient interms of "m"pg.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2005, 19:30   #7

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Yeah, we did it at Barrus, you can buy them, All Mariner's and there duel fuel so if you cant get gas its no problem. All come with Normal Warranty etc etc.
We have a Demo boat at work with a 115 EFi four stroke that runs on Petrol and LPG. I was showing it off at seawork and i will probably be at Ribex this yeah but the boat will have Twin 60hp Mariners on instead of the Single 115.

We dont sell a conversion kit as its not such a good idea to fit it your self, you can only by the engine with it fitted already. 115hp is the biggest we do in the range at the minute but im sure they will do the whole range if there is a demand.

The boat we use is a Ribcraft 5.85m, The 110 litre gas tank sits below the rear seats and the petrol one (90 litres) is in the normal place.
I think if you keep an eye open the one of the Rib Mags soon they are testing a Ribcraft 4.8m with a single 60hp LPG Mariner outboard. (once i have rigged it that is!)