Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 October 2024, 20:12   #1

Mercury 460 Ocean Runner - Opinions

Hi everyone, would really appreciate knowledge on whether this is a good first time buy and if there is anything that looks problematic? For leisure use only. Thanks in advance

Mercury 460 Ocean Runner Rib with its Mercury 60hp 4-stroke outboard The boat and engine was delivered in 2020 and the engine has about 70hr use since new. The engine has a full Mercury service history. Warranty for the engine until July 2025. It also benefits from a Baystar Hydraulic steering The console has a Fusion MS RA55 stereo with Bluetooth and speaker, Lawrence VHF. The boat also has a Dual battery system, Rear stainless A-Frame, Keel Guard, Hull Antifoul in White, Full set of seat Cushions, Bilge pump, Ropes and Anchor, Console cover, Overall Winter cover. The boat comes on an Extreme Roller Coaster trailer.
Old 14 October 2024, 22:46   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddesigns2001 View Post
Hi everyone, would really appreciate knowledge on whether this is a good first time buy and if there is anything that looks problematic? For leisure use only. Thanks in advance

Mercury 460 Ocean Runner Rib with its Mercury 60hp 4-stroke outboard The boat and engine was delivered in 2020 and the engine has about 70hr use since new. The engine has a full Mercury service history. Warranty for the engine until July 2025. It also benefits from a Baystar Hydraulic steering The console has a Fusion MS RA55 stereo with Bluetooth and speaker, Lawrence VHF. The boat also has a Dual battery system, Rear stainless A-Frame, Keel Guard, Hull Antifoul in White, Full set of seat Cushions, Bilge pump, Ropes and Anchor, Console cover, Overall Winter cover. The boat comes on an Extreme Roller Coaster trailer.
Depends what you plan to do with it and how many onboard. The Ocean Runners are a fairly shallow V hull, which combined with its relatively short length means it's not very good when the water isn't flat calm! The slightly abnormal centre wheel arrangement also means you're only likely to sit one person behind the console and one in front (where they will probably get soaked and bounced around).

If it's just for pottering around on flat water on sunny days with one or two people onboard, fine. But if you're based in Christchurch and want something you can more happily take out of the harbour and along to the Solent/IoW and cope if the sea gets a bit rougher, possibly worth looking at something with a slightly deeper V hull, even if a similar length.
Old Yesterday, 09:18   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Mod note: I've moved this to the RIB section with a new title so you get a better chance of replies to add to Paul's information.
Old Yesterday, 19:02   #4

Quote:

Thank you! So much appreciated.

Whilst initially, as a beginner, I will only be up and down on calm water, (to gain confidence etc). I will want to venture outside of the harbour quite quickly and with more than 1 or 2 people on board. So thank you for everything that you have pointed out, particularly, having the centre wheel!
Old Yesterday, 19:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Mod note: I've moved this to the RIB section with a new title so you get a better chance of replies to add to Paul's information.
Thank you very much!
Old Yesterday, 19:41   #6

Assuming you did your PB Level 2 on a more capable craft, for your intended usage and location I suspect you'll find an Ocean Runner a bit limiting, and if you did buy it you'd want to swap in a year or so once you start venturing out of the harbour!

More assuming that it's the one at Bailey Bridge for £10.5k, for that sort of price I don't think you should struggle to find a more capable boat, even if you don't want to go much larger.
Old Yesterday, 20:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
Assuming you did your PB Level 2 on a more capable craft, for your intended usage and location I suspect you'll find an Ocean Runner a bit limiting, and if you did buy it you'd want to swap in a year or so once you start venturing out of the harbour!

More assuming that it's the one at Bailey Bridge for £10.5k, for that sort of price I don't think you should struggle to find a more capable boat, even if you don't want to go much larger.
Thank you very much for your reply and info.

Yes, I have completed the PB Level 2 course. I don't really want to be swapping it in a year or so and I don't want to be limited in being able to go outside of the harbour; which I intend on doing within a year! I will look for something with a deeper hull, slightly bigger and without the central wheel. Any recommendations on models, outboard size etc? Much appreciation!
Old Yesterday, 21:58   #8

Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply and info.

Yes, I have completed the PB Level 2 course. I don't really want to be swapping it in a year or so and I don't want to be limited in being able to go outside of the harbour; which I intend on doing within a year! I will look for something with a deeper hull, slightly bigger and without the central wheel. Any recommendations on models, outboard size etc? Much appreciation!
Have you got any size restrictions for storage, launching, towing, etc.? Up to a point, the bigger the better when it comes to RIB's, and there's a massive difference in internal space, sea keeping, seating options, etc. between a decent 5.5-6.0m RIB vs. a decent 4.5m RIB. Also depends how old you would go, would you consider a refurbished boat, does it have to be a modern 4 stroke engine, etc.

If you want to stick to that sort of size range but with a deep v hull, common suggestions on here would include things like the Ribcraft 4.8, Avon Searider 4.7, XS 460/500, Humber Destroyer/Ocean Pro 500, Ribtec 455/535, etc. Most of those will only really allow for single inline jockey seats though. If you want to go for something with side by side seating, generally you'll need ~5.5m or larger.