Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
MOB today

Today I went out with my 18ft hard hull boat for a river cruise on the Dnepr river near Kyiv . Weather was great and we went downstream to the south . There were also plenty of anglers on the water - enjoying this great day .
The sun was shining straight into our faces but I could see a tug boat with 3 huge barges came upstream .
It seemed to me that a little boat in the middle of the river was on the course of the barges and suddenly I could not see it anymore . But against the sun it was hard to see and we were still appr 1/2 of an mile away .
With WOT I approached the barges and found a 10ft fishing boat under the bow of the barge but I could not see a person .
When I wanted to go to the tug boat I found the guy behind the bow of the barge in the undertow of the tug boat close to the ships side .
I managed to get him on board and then I went to the captain of the tug boat to let him stop his ship . He did not even noticed that he overran somebody ..
Since my boat was to high to get underneath the bow of the barge the angler went back into the water - this time secured with a life belt and a life line .
In the end he was extremely lucky that I noticed this accident and I was nearby .
From the bridge the captain could not see at all what is going on in front of the barges . I asked him why he does not have somebody at the bow with a radio communicating with the bridge . He reacted extremely aggressive ..
Next thing what pissed me off was another boat which came over but instead of supporting this idiot made a video with his phone and disturbed even the rescue .. no words ..

Those pictures were taken after the situation was under control .

This happening showed me clearly that safety is not only an issue at sea , in bad weather or other dangerous situations - where most of us are equipped with drysuit / PLB / live vest / radio etc ..
Things like this can happen everywhere - even on a leasure sunday afternoon trip on a river ..

Old 05 October 2014, 18:05   #2

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Well done sir - you should be very justifiably proud of yourself

I am fed up with people who believe that sh1t won't happen to them because they are only .........................

Accidents happen anywhere - anytime and you only die once.

Someone owes an awful lot to your vigilance and seamanship
Old 05 October 2014, 18:09   #3

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Seconded and well done, that guy was extremely lucky that you were there
Old 05 October 2014, 18:19   #4

Town: StPetersburg Russia
RIBase
Thanks . I did not post this to praise myself but to make everybody aware that things like this happen not only in a force 7 @ the west coast of Ireland - things like this even happen when nobody expect something like this could happen !
I am for instance extremely grateful to all the fantastic teams during the Round Ireland last year and the RB this year where I learned A LOT about safety and seamanship !
Old 05 October 2014, 18:28   #5

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
RB this year where I learned A LOT about safety and seamanship !
You are very welcome dude

Seriously, well done you should be very proud of yourself. Being with you for 13 days I noticed that when you step on your boat, you change, your so alert and determined. You certainly have it dude

Awesome
Old 05 October 2014, 18:56   #6

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
This guy is extremely fortunate that you were there to assist and were clearly paying attention sufficiently to notice the developing incident!

Looking at the pics of the tug/barge arrangement I'd love to see whether the Master of the tug was operating in accordance with his company's OPs in not having radio comms with a lookout positioned at the bow? If it's not a company/waterway requirement for a tug-assisted movement in this configuration, I'd be amazed.

As Ribochet so rightly says, life-threatening marine-related accidents happen in flat calm water too.
Old 06 October 2014, 04:20   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post

Looking at the pics of the tug/barge arrangement I'd love to see whether the Master of the tug was operating in accordance with his company's OPs in not having radio comms with a lookout positioned at the bow? If it's not a company/waterway requirement for a tug-assisted movement in this configuration, I'd be amazed.
On the picture you cannot see the width of the tug ! There were 3 (!!!) barges tight up next to each other ! The angler´s boat was caught by the outer left barge but there were 2 more ..
From the distance I could not identify it and that was why I paid special attention to it .
Fully agree with your comments above and I assume the master reacted so aggressive when I asked him why he had no lookout at the bow cause he knew that in case of investigation he would have been in trouble .
Old 06 October 2014, 07:52   #8

RIBase
Found this in the net and do not think that Ukrainian rules differ significantly from this ..

Inland International Rule 5
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision .
Old 06 October 2014, 09:01   #9

Town: Swindon
MMSI: 235910561
When chartering on the Rhine in Germany, I was warned to keep clear of the commercial traffic, as they have a history of simply ignoring pleasure craft! :o
Old 06 October 2014, 09:08   #10

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Found this in the net and do not think that Ukrainian rules differ significantly from this ..

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision .
Wasn't a Russian in the rowing boat was it?
Well done Jurgen - doing the right thing in the right place at the right time
Old 06 October 2014, 09:19   #11

RIBase
[QUOTE=MustRib;649546]Wasn't a Russian in the rowing boat was it? QUOTE]

Hi Andy - was a Ukrainian
Old 06 October 2014, 10:12   #12

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:

The standard International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea would possibly apply to that stretch of water as the Colregs not only apply to all vessels upon the high seas but also to all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels
Old 06 October 2014, 10:32   #13

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
The standard International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea would possibly apply to that stretch of water as the Colregs not only apply to all vessels upon the high seas but also to all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels

Rule 1 part b allows special rules authorized by a proper authority, such as the US where they have separate rules for inland rules, clearly defined on the chart.
However in the absence of any other rules, I would suggest rule 5 stands.

There are IMO rules regarding minimum area of visibility (SOLAS convention) but again, it would depend on the local rules, and the classification society, and registry if these apply in is case.

However the "Ordinary practice of seamen" under rule 2 would suggest a lookout would be prudent.
Old 06 October 2014, 12:30   #14

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
MOB today

Well done, that's one very lucky boater. Maybe he'll wear a PFD in future and depend less on luck and your well developed powers of observation.

One risk with incidents like that is trying to establish quickly that there isn't anyone else in the water especially if there are communication issues with the casualty- hypothermia, shock, unconsciousness, language,etc. also easy to forget in the heat of the moment but you'd hate to effect a rescue and learn later there were others involved.
Old 06 October 2014, 17:14   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daibheid View Post
One risk with incidents like that is trying to establish quickly that there isn't anyone else in the water especially if there are communication issues with the casualty- hypothermia, shock, unconsciousness, language,etc. also easy to forget in the heat of the moment but you'd hate to effect a rescue and learn later there were others involved.
This is a very valid point and I really could not know how many people were in the boat .
I actually expected the worse and thought we will find some dead bodies behind the tug boat .
When I saw the guy I had in mind if there is somebody else in the water than he must be behind the guy I fished out because the ship went against the stream . So who or whatever was in the water drifted straight to the back of the vessel .
After he was in my boat he confirmed that he was alone .
But you are right - this is a terrible feeling to operate at such place with an spinning prop if you cannot see what is under the boat ..
Old 06 October 2014, 17:22   #16

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Impressive job skipper! Those barges must have been going pretty slow that he could hang on to the rope on the bow like that at all.

Agree that the master of the tug was negligent in not posting a proper lookout. Not sure who exactly was in the wrong though. The rowboat for "impeding" the tug and tow which could only operate in mid channel or the tug and tow for over-running the rowboat.
Old 06 October 2014, 17:50   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Those barges must have been going pretty slow that he could hang on to the rope on the bow like that at all.
Not at all - This picture was taken after the guy was safe and I could stop the vessel .
It was not in motion at this time anymore .