Old 08 August 2024, 13:18   #1

Town: 's-Hertogenbosch
Boat name: t.b.d.
Make: Zodiac cherokee
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 50hpEFI
RIBase
New buyer tips

Surely this has been asked before so dont hold back booting this post.

Could not quite find an answer searching the forum but I am an aspiring boat owner and am now looking to buy a second hand RIB. I'm looking for tips and tricks on what to pay extra attention too when checking a boat im interested in.

Are there brands to avoid?
What signals a poorly maintained boat?
Tips to check the engine health?
Any helpful questions i can ask the seller?

any help is appreciated as i find it hard to find concise information online!
Old 08 August 2024, 16:20   #2

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Rule 1. Buyer beware. Have a very clear idea of what you are looking for. Check for services records, gelcoat cracks, signs of repairs, general overall condition and presentation says a lot. Is the owner proud of his boat - does he tell you lots about it or is he looking to off load? If relevant to the purchase carefully check the condition of the trailer as a neglected trailer often indicates a neglected boat. If you don't have the technical knowledge get a survey done. Good Luck with the search.
Old 08 August 2024, 16:40   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum.

An idea of how many folks you want to carry, RIB and outboard sizes you'd thought of and what you want to do with the RIB will help the guys to give advice.
Old 08 August 2024, 17:12   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Never buy without a sea trail unless your 100% the seller is genuine, many faults dont materialize until your on the water a seller who refuses a sea trial is always a big red flag
An idea of budget & size use etc would help advise
Old 08 August 2024, 18:44   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Don’t buy anything made from PVC over 5 yrs old
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2024, 07:21   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If you’re going to view a RIB, there are forum members who may be close (I note you’re in the Netherlands) who may view with you if you put a shout out and they’re local. Second pair of eyes and all that. It’s still your decision, but they won’t usually be swayed by shiny bits like a new buyer!

Genuine owners will tell you everything, with paperwork that puts an HMRC inspection to shame. Have a budget in mind. View sites such as Boats and Outboards, Apollo Duck, EBay, FAFB, local brokerage or marinas to build up an idea of what you actually want and prices, otherwise it’s a lamb to the slaughter and you could end up with something that needs work or isn’t practical.

What are others using? I’m assuming it’s the North Sea or inland waterways? Are there engine restrictions, 4-stroke for example?

Hull angle is important too. Some leisure ribs have shallow hull angles, so slap in F4 or short chop.

What are you towing with? Sub 5m, then will be on unbraked 750kg trailer. Over that you’re into braked trailer territory. As mentioned already, trailer condition speaks volumes - you don’t want a smoking bearing or binding brakes 5 minutes after purchasing, heading down the road.

Storage. If you have space at home or is it going on hard standing at Marina. If you have a garage, consider height with A frame.

Engines tend to stay with RIBs, so if it’s older RIB, then expect an older engine unless it’s been repowered. Nothing wrong with that if it’s been maintained. Servicing wise, every year or every other year for impellers and gear oil. Most genuine owners tinker, so everything from replacement fuel connectors to thermostat gaskets will or should have been replaced with a record of when. If you’re spanner handy, then this will be a labour of love. Useful to build up knowledge as you progress. If you’re not, then consider an auxilliary engine, as a lot will depend on your RIB’s intended use, where you boat, frequency of other boat traffic.

You need a licence for VHF radio use. Quick search shows there are a few options in Netherlands.

Remember and post a few pictures up once you buy. Everyone likes to see a new RIB!
Old 09 August 2024, 08:14   #7

Town: 's-Hertogenbosch
Boat name: t.b.d.
Make: Zodiac cherokee
Engine: Outboard 50hpEFI
RIBase
Thanks a lot for all the feedback! this helps a lot to know better what to ask when i go for a visitation / testride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
An idea of how many folks you want to carry, RIB and outboard sizes you'd thought of and what you want to do with the RIB will help the guys to give advice.
I would like to fit up to 6 people but the main use will be less people but with camping gear and watersports, so both casual boating and sports/play boating. RIB size ive thought between 4 and 5 meter with 5 as a max because of storage and transport. On that size ive seen between 30 and 60 HP but idd like at least 40 HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
It’s still your decision, but they won’t usually be swayed by shiny bits like a new buyer!

I will be sure to bring along a friend that got me into boating!

What are others using? I’m assuming it’s the North Sea or inland waterways? Are there engine restrictions, 4-stroke for example?

My usagecase is inland, my only engine restriction is power to pull

Hull angle is important too. Some leisure ribs have shallow hull angles, so slap in F4 or short chop.

This is quite the unknown tip to me, i want to do some aggressive boating with fun tubes/skiis and without. What is the difference between high and low hull angles on handling and turning?

What are you towing with?
Storage.

I am towing with a Mazda 2 which can do un-breaked up to 500 kg and i think that is feasable, most weight ive seen on a rib sub 5m is 300 kg but i might be wrong on that. Storagewise i can store it at a local caravan storage at a farm.

You need a licence for VHF radio use. Quick search shows there are a few options in Netherlands.

Small boats are not required to use VHF in the Netherlands! but there is an exception for the Rhine, Waal and Lek. Those rivers require a radar when visibility is poor and you can only have a radar in combination with a mariphone

Remember and post a few pictures up once you buy. Everyone likes to see a new RIB!

Will do for sure!
As last remark, I am currently in talks for a Zodiac Pro 470 with a 60 HP Mercury motor as this forum was quite fond of the model. From all available models on the secondhand market this seems the best deal by far.

Also fount a Narwal 450 with Yamaha 60HP and a Bombard explorer FB 485
Old 09 August 2024, 09:44   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasfromnl View Post
As last remark, I am currently in talks for a Zodiac Pro 470 with a 60 HP Mercury motor as this forum was quite fond of the model. From all available models on the secondhand market this seems the best deal by far.
Zodiac made that model in Strongan Duotex (basically their version of PVC). I think the Pro 500 was available in neoprene.

They use a slide on (seam bolt) tube system that secures with a strap at the bow U bolt and the transom. Advantages are you can replace the entire tube system, so there's no sealing tape with the hull and tube vs a conventional rib with glued on tubes.

Zodiac have a fairly comprehensive after-sales set up, but be aware prices are not cheap.

With 60hp - that's well suited. Hull may be a little shallow. I used to have the 420 with 40hp.

You'll struggle with 6 people on board for anything but short-trips. Think the 470 had a rear bench seat, seat in front of the console and cushion on the bow anchor locker.
Old 09 August 2024, 10:00   #9

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasfromnl View Post

I would like to fit up to 6 people but the main use will be less people but with camping gear and watersports, so both casual boating and sports/play boating. RIB size ive thought between 4 and 5 meter with 5 as a max because of storage and transport. On that size ive seen between 30 and 60 HP but idd like at least 40 HP.

I am currently in talks for a Zodiac Pro 470 with a 60 HP Mercury motor as this forum was quite fond of the model. From all available models on the secondhand market this seems the best deal by far.
Loved my Pro 9 man which was the 4.7m in length, superb boat with two on board, no room for anything else with the Outhill console that was on mine if we went over that numer.

With a need for kit and people just be careful what looks huge, doesn't soon vanish and become a clutter / unusable space.

A couple of documents for your bedroom / toilet reading
https://www.force4.co.uk/guide-to-sa...RoCuLYQAvD_BwE

https://marine-matters.co.uk/blog/th...chasing-a-rib/

https://www.ribsforsale.com/wp-conte...verskin_v2.pdf

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote