Old 26 February 2012, 02:52   #1

New Zodiac 733 owner

Hi, I am both new to Ribnet and a new owner of a zodiac 733. I was hoping that you guys could give me some advice. I should warn you i have never owned a boat of any kind as this is my first. I actually baught it because me and my wife are heavy into scuba diving. The boat i baught was actually listed here some time ago and when i got it i kinda went into it knowing that the boat would need to be repowered. It originally was a RCMP patrol boat that had evinrude FICHT motors (2000). These motors from what i can tell are notoriously unreliable. One has low compression on thre cylinders and i suspect it is a scuffed piston.... Anyway, i am looking at a costly rebuild to purchase new electronics and motors... If you have any advice on what you have learned over your experiences or would just like to tell me a story to get me pumped up i'm all ears. I head out this weekend to begin the restoration. I am taking the deck up and inspecting the fuel cells, cleaning inside the hull, pulling the console out and taking some of the old shit out of it... The plan is to go with a raymarine E7d display, i have a 16km radar (ratheon) and i am installing a new clarion sound system which i am pumped about. The motors are my biggest concern. The boat requies 175 hp to plane properly and i have been told to just put 100's on the back.... People talk to me about fuel... Bla bla bla... What is the concenus here. 150's or 100's? Anyway i have wrote enough please share your knowledge with me..

Doug
Old 15 March 2012, 00:29   #2

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
I have the same boat with twin 150's. The boat needs about 150 to plane, it's probably less with a 2 stroke. I can get on step easily on one 150 and actually hit 39mph on one engine recently!

If you want twins for the added security, get twin 150's so that you can plane on one. If you can't plane on the second motor you have a really expensive kicker, you might as well get a 9.9 as your second engine.

Great boats, I personally can't see using radar with mine (I've got AIS to spot ships). I also don't want to fry my brain with radiation. You won't hear the stereo with the twin 150 two strokes.
Old 15 March 2012, 00:42   #3

So you don't use both your 150's at the same time? If you only used one would it be better to get somthing like a 250 and then a 40 for a back up?
Old 15 March 2012, 03:48   #4

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
I use both but have tested the boat on one. A single 250 would be plenty. Kicker would be 10-15 hp a 40 would not go any faster. You can either get on plane or you can go 6mph. 40hp would only burn more fuel than a 15... not go any faster.

A single 250 would use less fuel and be cheaper to purchase than twin 150's. If you're 20 miles from port/shelter and your 250 dies... You'd be wishing you spent the $ on the twins. It's a choice that you have to make and live with either way.