Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 27 July 2022, 09:11   #1

Town: Aarhus
Length: 3m +
Power tilt/trim necessary for 3.6m RIB?

Hi there,

I'm unsure whether Power tilt/trim is necessary for a 20 HP outboard (Mercury F20 models), which is to be attached on my 3.6 meter Valiant RIB.

From reading forums, I gather that the answer is that "it depends" on individual boating needs.

I'll mostly use the Rib for fishing trips, and wakeboarding with 2-3 people on it. I will be using it on sea, where wind conditions will wary, although not very rough waters.

It would be nice to save the 900 bucks by not going for Powertilt/trim, but if PT/T is a big win in my case, this save doesn't matter. Any experience with this?

Best,
Tom
Old 27 July 2022, 11:33   #2

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Power tilt/trim is a great benefit in my book, but really depends how your boat is fitted out.

Personally if it’s tiller operated I’d be going down the simplest/lightest option…manual start, on tiller, and no ptt. Particularly if it’s a portable outboard lifted on and off transom for storage/transport and no battery etc.

If your rib has a console with helm/steering etc. and the motor on remotes then I’d be going full works with both electric start and ptt. The ability to make small adjustments to trim on the fly is a major benefit.
Old 27 July 2022, 13:29   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'd agree with chipko - not absolutely essential, but has advantages with centre console. Also worth thinking about who will be tilting the engine if you are coming ashore / onto trailer. I started off with 20HP 2str no PTT but one of the reasons for upgrading (30HP 4st with PTT) was that teenage kids and even my wife struggled to tilt the engine up manually*. I've not wakeboarded but I expect it may help to be able to tune trim angle on the move.

* I never convinced myself this was just strength - but actually a technique + unlocking the engine etc, but they quickly believed it was really hard/heavy and so wouldn't try and it became my job. PTT means my teenager can bring the boat to the trailer whilst I go get the car. It also means if I am alone I can deal with tilt without leaving the helm which is good for beaching etc.

Tags
rib