Old 20 June 2020, 16:53   #21

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Todays instalment... not a lot of progress as waiting for electric stuff to turn up, so continued with the deep clean.

First of all craned the console out:

Got my uncle to work with an electric scrubbing attachment. Any advice on the best stuff to use to clean vinyl?

Spent ages cleaning under the decks and flushing all the crap through. This is the cable duct.

The main boat is fairly clean now. Anyone know why Cobra put this inset channel with a couple of pieces of wood in it?

Old 20 June 2020, 17:27   #22

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
If you need to access the fuel tank you can cut in the ‘trench’ and so your repairs are below the wood fillers.
Old 20 June 2020, 17:34   #23
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
This reminds me very much of my Ballistic when I first got it.
You may find this helpful:-

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co...ulticore-cable

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 20:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
The batteries are hardy in the bilge area, you have 2feet of space below the deck, that’s what I call the bilge. I have a twin battery setup and each are housed in battery boxes - port and starboard. It’s a very neat installation, with isolation switches all housed behind the rear seat, mounted up high.
What is the steering pump you refer to, is it not attached to the back of the steering wheel, something like a seastar unit?
Thanks for your help. I agree it’s not really ‘in the bilge’ but it’s more ‘on the deck’. I just think if I can squeeze the batteries into the console, it gives me loads more room in the rear locker for storing stuff like water skis, and the batteries and associated wiring stay completely dry.

The power steering pump is exactly that - an electric motor that drives a hydraulic pump that feeds the steering orbitrol. It used to on the port side by the tube, the engine battery was on the starboard side and the house battery was in the middle in front of the bilge pit.
Old 20 June 2020, 20:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Plenty of fettleing to do but nothing structural by the looks of things...for me the Consul is defiantly the place for batteries ect (more protection ..less wiring...better weight distribution...more deck room) access my have to be improved but remote charger plug on the consul works well...eases charging (and testing) considerably.
No ...not all manufactures RIBs have seats and consuls are just screwed down,and seeing as you're doing a total strip down I'd give some serious thought to glassing them in....stronger.. neater..and dry storage!
The rest is step by step stuff...although that Consul is pretty "Swiss Cheesie" and it may well pay (depending how you want the new layout) to simply Bond and bolt in (with small SS dome heads ..looks good if done properly and very strong!) completely new piece of Decent Guage F.G in white over the whole Consul face and start again with new cut outs ect.
Either way enjoy the Build and the very Best of British with Her
Batteries and power steering pump definitely moving to the console going to be a squeeze but I can wire it all up on the bench and then move the console to the boat once it’s all done.

Don’t think I can be bothered to glass the furniture in but they already have ‘floors’ so I think if I silicon them in to stop stuff going underneath, they will be waterproof anyway.

For the dashboard I think I’m going to go with the sheets of black acrylic bonded on to the fibreglass. Then I can cut it out on cnc machine.
Old 20 June 2020, 20:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
Adding to the console opinions; I found it easy to blend in gelcoat when I changed out the stereo and switch panel (narrower and different heights than previous units), but I found the colour matching a problem - the answer from ECF was to send them a piece of the existing gelcoat for them to colour match.

I thought this was a good approach and provides a more contemporary look.
I think this is my plan. What thickness acrylic normally gets used?
Old 20 June 2020, 20:32   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
If you need to access the fuel tank you can cut in the ‘trench’ and so your repairs are below the wood fillers.
I did wonder if that was the case. Makes sense now
Old 04 July 2020, 18:32   #28

Finally made a bit more progress. Spent most of the last few weeks just trying to get all the bits I need ordered and tons of researching. Think I now have basically everything I need to put it all back together. Anyway...

Bought some sheets of acrylic and got my favourite power tool out, a tracksaw is basically carpentry on easy mode

A little while later it looked like this...

Started laying out where the two Axiom plotters were going, engine gauge and Fusion radio remote going in between

Had a disaster when I got distracted whilst using the drill press, so had to start again

Found a dremel and a multi tool was quite good for cutting the acrylic, I swapped the blade before I used it before anyone asks

This little diamond blade was pretty good for doing the intricate stuff

Offered it up, now need to chop the fibreglass

Wasted loads of time before realising an angle grinder with a thin metal cutoff blade goes through fibreglass like it’s butter

Old 04 July 2020, 18:35   #29

I kept as much structure behind the acrylic sheet as possible

Then started chopping out the holes for the lower piece of dash

Finished for the day with it looking like this:

I’m going to tweak the curves on corners of the acrylic to match the corners of the plotters so their not so pointy.

I’m trying to keep it as minimal as possible, the top row will be plotter screen, mercmonitor engine gauge and fusion radio remote in middle and then the second plotter.

Bottom half will be handset for black box VHF, autopilot screen, throttle, steering wheel and key switch.

Under dash on right hand side will be switches and kill switch and some other stuff.
Old 04 July 2020, 21:53   #30

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Looking good.

My two recommendations are 1) fit glow fuses that illuminate if a fuse blows 2) fit a few small LED light strips around the inside of the console

The LED light strips are awesome if you need to see / work inside the console in poor light / nightime etc
Old 05 July 2020, 19:38   #31

Not much time today

Mounted the mercmonitor between the plotters (did it on the broken piece first).

Then decided to do something about the stupid access panel to the front of the console. The original was just the seat back of the suicide seat, and water would just pour straight in to the console. I really don’t understand why Cobra skimped so much on things like this and the wiring, how much more would it have cost to do it properly?? Have Cobra improved things since?

Anyone, marked out for a nice new hatch the same as the other ones on the boat.

Chopped it out

Much better and now I can easily access all the electronics.

I also gave the whole console a good scrub with oxalic acid but forgot to take pictures. Got rid of all the rust marks.
Old 05 July 2020, 19:42   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Looking good.

My two recommendations are 1) fit glow fuses that illuminate if a fuse blows 2) fit a few small LED light strips around the inside of the console

The LED light strips are awesome if you need to see / work inside the console in poor light / nightime etc
The glow fuses are a good idea I think I have a box of them somewhere.

And a light in the console is a good idea too. Will add it to the list
Old 05 July 2020, 19:51   #33

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
The glow fuses are a good idea I think I have a box of them somewhere.

And a light in the console is a good idea too. Will add it to the list
If you put lights inside the console I’d advise AGAINST a door switch on your console hatch, I’ve yet to find one that will withstand the marine environment, I think I’ve managed 6mnth out of one and that was the best one.

I swithered about wiring a console LED strip in to my anchor light circuit to save another switch. My console is completely sealed so having the LED strip on inside console wouldn’t be an issue.
Old 14 July 2020, 19:24   #34

Not had much time to work on things but I really want to get it finished now so going to try and put a few extra days in and get it done.

Spent ages and ages fussing over where the key switch was going to go, eventually decided it fitted nicely down by the wheel.

The basically finished console layout, I think I spent more time looking at it then doing it

Had to have a bit of an interlude and go and fit this for my dad, 5 minute job turned into half a day job as I had to pull a bunch of armoured cable into a duct.

Next thing was to mount some plywood plates to mount all the electronics too. Used my adjustable height table

Plates all cut out, inside of the console was a weird shape

Used a whole tube of Sika 292, don’t think it’s ever coming off

Plates mounted ready for coating

Old 14 July 2020, 19:41   #35

Time to flowcoat the inside of the console, need to be like a contortionist working in this thing. The epoxy fumes numb the pain

Looks much better now compared to the grey / black before.

Then decided it was probably time to glue the acrylic screens in. Scuffed then back of the acrylic and front of fibreglass lightly to aid adhesion.

Used Sika 291 for this, the acrylic is clamped by the screens / instruments so it’s more sealing than sticking. I wanted a good seal to try to keep the console dry inside.

Old 14 July 2020, 19:58   #36

Left it overnight to cure with loads of excess sika, in hindsight this was a stupid idea as it was a bugger to clean off

After burning my finger prints off, I eventually got it cleaned up. Acetone wouldn’t touch it, the epoxy catalyst does something to it and made it a bit easier to remove.

The old vhf mic holes still need sorting

Then got some new edge trim

Massive improvement

Old 14 July 2020, 20:37   #37

Then started on the electrics

Final list of stuff is:

2 x Raymarine Axiom 9” screens, one just screen only, the other with the fancy downvision sonar thing. I’ve never fished in my life but being able to see the sea bottom in 3D seems cool
Raymarine AIS800 Class B+ with vhf splitter
Raymarine RAY90 blackbox VHF
Raymarine Evolution Autopilot (ACU150 and 1 litre pump, P70RS control. I didn’t want a control but it was cheaper buying a kit than the bits individually)
Fusion BB-100 blackbox radio + remote
Seatalk NMEA 2000 network
Mercmonitor engine gauge to do smartcraft -> n2k
RMK-9 remote keypad to control the screens if too rough for the touch screens
Seatalk HS5 switch to connect it all together

I bought a Quantum Radar very cheaply that was badly advertised on eBay, but it looks massive and I’ve no idea how I’m going to mount it. The scan strut brackets are stupidly expensive so I’m going to have to fashion my own.

All this stuff was carefully bought over the last few months, most of the Raymarine gear came from Hudson Marine in the Rayamrine sale who were brilliant to deal with. Coastal Rides had some very good value refurbished Ray stuff. Cables all bought from eBay for a fraction of retail price.
Bought the Mercmonitor from US eBay.

I’m really having to squeeze stuff in as the console is pretty small and I really want to get the batteries, the Mercury power steering pump and the autopilot pump in the console. The batteries and pump used to be in the back of the boat at the transom but that seemed a dumb idea.

Put some of the n2k network together to work out what cables I needed, there’s a lot of n2k stuff to connect 8 drops plus power

I don’t like the fact the batteries are different sizes may have to replace the optima as I think it’s not in great health anyway

The power steering pump is going to have to sit here

So question time - is it going to be a problem having the Autopilot compass much closer to other electronics than the instructions recommend? I’ve kept it as high and far away as possible, but short of putting it in a bow locker I don’t know what else I could do

Old 16 July 2020, 20:25   #38

Is anyone still reading

Bit more progress on the console, hoping to have the wiring finished this weekend if a few missing bits turn up.

Mounted loads of cable tie bases with some Sikaflex ready to attach cables to

Then put the screens in, used the gaskets that came with them but would it be better with sikaflex?

And then started a bit of wiring. There’s a lot of wires to go in here

Still waiting on the NMEA2k backbone and raynet switch.

Battery cables and power feeds tomorrow
Old 16 July 2020, 20:37   #39

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Yup plenty still readiing i am sure ,Interesting post thankyou
Old 17 July 2020, 05:23   #40

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Good work.

I hope the cable tie bases remain stuck! I'm always a bit dubious about gluing that type of plastic with Sika.

On the screen gaskets, I made up my own using a sheet of 3mm closed cell neoprene foam. The gaskets that came with my screen were thin and in several pieces and I decided it would be a potential leak path. I am sure though that Garmin (in my instance) had considered this when they designed the gasket but I took a belt and braces approach.