Click Here to Login

Old 31 May 2006, 06:30   #1

Town: Perth
Boat name: bottomless pit
Make: Cygnet
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, ?hp 2-St
Putting a RIB together and bracing hull

A project is headed my way in the very near future, assembling a couple of RIBS, one 5 metre and one 6 metres. Don't know the country of origin...

Both will come in halves, deck and hull seperate, and my end of things is in sticking them together, not that I've done anything like it before!.
Personally, I reckon the hulls are a bit flimsy, only having a couple of 40mm dia poly pipes glassed in as 'strengthening'. Not that the glass is very much either, on the inner surfaces I can only see CSM. We hope there is a layer of woven under the gelcoat!

The bits have been out in the weather for a year or two, but apart from handling damage / filthy, appear otherwise ok.

ANY thoughts, pointers, ideas, 'how-to's', would be greatly appreciated, as I can't duck out of this one! I'm resigned to laying down at least one layer of glass cloth if needed, and maybe wood stringers for a bit of rigidity...

The tubes are pre-made and ready for someone else to fit, but they'll head back to me for fit-out etc. Looking at 70 to 100 hp 4-stroke motors as a General Purpose / Family Runabout / Fishing.

Thanks, from Wet and Wintry Perth, Western Australia...
Old 31 May 2006, 10:55   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Joining old, cured resin is a mechanical bond whereas joining to uncured new laminate gives a proper bond. You're goint to have to make sure of a large surface area if you want good strength.
Old 01 June 2006, 03:10   #3

Town: Perth
Boat name: bottomless pit
Make: Cygnet
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, ?hp 2-St
Mechanical approach perhaps?

Interesting information.... I'd never have considered that angle, but then again, I'm on the bottom-slope of a steep learning-curve...

Assuming enough area on the "flanges", would you go as far as to look approvingly at 'mechanical fixings' such as large rivets, nuts and bolts, screws... (not thrilled with screws...) in addition to or replacing "gluing" the halves together? Obviously retaining a smooth surface to attach the tubes is paramount...
- I did have the concept that bolting it together gives one the option of opening it right up for repairs, alterations, additions etc. etc. Or is that too radical an idea....

Any thoughts on the hull bracing? ie, extra stringers etc? - I can take some pics of the insides of the open hulls if it would help.... And I'd appreciate ANY advice etc from this Forum's inhabitants!!!

With thanks, From a freezing cold Perth, West Australia...