Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 09 July 2023, 10:19   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Ranieri Revolution 455. Good but not as good as my Narwhal

Last year I bought a new to us Ranieri Revolution 455. I wanted this boat as it is very spacious but still fits on an unbraked trailer. We have now tried it twice and we like it but it is not nearly as good as our 4.5 m Narwhal rib which seems far more capable in the rough stuff. So what is it about ribs that seems to make them more capable than hard boats

Old 09 July 2023, 16:18   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
It's the tubes..they act like shock absorbers and I imagine less weight too. My 5m Tornado almost loves the rough stuff.
What are you going to do?
Old 09 July 2023, 17:00   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
How do you quantify good when your comparing apples & peaches? different horses for different courses. If you want to sunbathe the hard boat is by far the better boat. Compare the narwal to a ribcraft or searider & you'll soon find its not so good at certain things, not everyone wants the same from their boats.
Some folk want more bling for their money some more quality. There are some great hard boats and some awful ribs I dont think you can categorically say a rib is better than a hard boat or vice versa its a pretty pointless comparison imho.
Old 09 July 2023, 20:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
How do you quantify good when your comparing apples & peaches? different horses for different courses. If you want to sunbathe the hard boat is by far the better boat. Compare the narwal to a ribcraft or searider & you'll soon find its not so good at certain things, not everyone wants the same from their boats.
Some folk want more bling for their money some more quality. There are some great hard boats and some awful ribs I dont think you can categorically say a rib is better than a hard boat or vice versa its a pretty pointless comparison imho.
It is never pointless to compare when people are wondering which option to take but I agree with you about the horses for courses thing. Except not sure a horse is good on either boats.

Dont agree much about the whole Ribcraft being quality thing, I rather think they are well over hyped and well out of date in their designs
Old 09 July 2023, 20:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
It's the tubes..they act like shock absorbers and I imagine less weight too. My 5m Tornado almost loves the rough stuff.
What are you going to do?
Do..... Do. What I always tend to do keep them both along with the others. It was not a one or the other situation, Just a comparison
Old 09 July 2023, 20:59   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Dont agree much about the whole Ribcraft being quality thing, I rather think they are well over hyped and well out of date in their designs[/QUOTE]

Its obvious you dont appreciate quality owning a ranieri & a narwal
Old 09 July 2023, 21:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Dont agree much about the whole Ribcraft being quality thing, I rather think they are well over hyped and well out of date in their designs
Its obvious you dont appreciate quality owning a ranieri & a narwal[/QUOTE]

Well I own many boats and therefor have more experience than most. I have been in several Ribcraft and know that I would never want one.

I don't own a narwal but have got a Narwhal and from experience of many years can tell you that it performs very well. I am very happy with its quality which is all that is important isn't it. What boats do you have
Old 10 July 2023, 00:08   #8

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
It is never pointless to compare when people are wondering which option to take but I agree with you about the horses for courses thing. Except not sure a horse is good on either boats.

It is not difficult to understand why you have the word 'Novice' in your user name
Old 10 July 2023, 06:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
It is not difficult to understand why you have the word 'Novice' in your user name
It’s is because this year was the first time I attended the Rib rendezvous. Did you go
Old 12 September 2023, 13:41   #10

Town: Manchester
Boat name: The Bees Knees
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp mariner
I've recently sold the big brother to your Ranieri, the Soverato 19, with a 115hp Yam 4 stroke, excellent boat and as hard boats go, it too rough conditions excellently, caught out a couple of times where it got a little heavy and never felt unsafe, i was warey of stuffing the bow in following seas but with it trimmed up it used to sit very pretty.
Only really sold it due to having a Son and wanted something with more cover from teh elements and after getting it valued the covid prices meant i made 6k profit after owning for near 8 years so it had to go... just bough a little ribcraft 4.8 to play with and get my lad used to the sea water.and to scratch my small rib itch after seeing a little searider do outstanding work as a safety boat during my early teens dinghy sailing.. very impressed with teh ribcraft so far...Enjoy the Ranieri!