Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 September 2024, 08:41   #1

Make: RC585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140
RC585 at Southampton Boat Show

A bargain at £67k?
Not to my taste but each to their own. The console design puzzles me - how is that better than their excellent Pacific console (featured in the photo at the top of this page)?

Apologies for sideways pics, don't know how to correct them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9889.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	146187

Name:	IMG_9891.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	146189

Name:	IMG_9890.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	146188
Old 16 September 2024, 15:43   #2

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 200HP
[QUOTE=scrambler;878564]A bargain at £67k?
Not to my taste but each to their own. The console design puzzles me - how is that better than their excellent Pacific console (featured in the photo at the top of this page)?

£80k normal price?

WTF, robbing barstewards
Old 16 September 2024, 18:22   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Also not a fan of the console. Looks like it can’t decide what it wants to be. Probably uses a “they/them” pronoun.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 19:42   #4

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
It's fashionable I guess, following the fad for square boxy cars and SUVs. Never mind the aerodynamics, follow the fashion.
Ribcraft must have changed their tune - when I ordered mine as a SBS display model a few years ago in my ignorance I asked for two recessed cupholders to be fitted on the top of the console having seen a photo of a 585 with some fitted. When I arrived at the show to view it there were no cupholders. "Where are they" I asked. "We don't want anyone to think we build leisure ribs so we'll fit them after the show" was the reply.
I then did some research on here, saw the error of my ways, and cancelled the cupholders.
Old 16 September 2024, 20:21   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
A bargain at £67k?
Sorry, did I fall asleep and wake up in 2049?

Even allowing for inflationary pressures and the nonsense of that daft referendum, that seems a tad steep.
Old 16 September 2024, 20:48   #6
RIBnet admin team

Without wanting to start a row, I have to say the thrust of the comments seems counterintuitive? 'We' want solid UK built RIBs for UK waters, built (presumably) by UK workers who are enjoying all the benefits of living and working in the UK. Yet 'we' compare the cost to that of craft that originate in jurisdictions that, let's say, perhaps don't enjoy those benefits, or examine those craft and deride the quality of said vessels. Maybe Smallribber has a point - buy cheap and hope for the best? But please, don't complain about the price of the 'Gold Standard', it is what it is. Remember Scorpion, Ribquest, etc, etc.
Old 16 September 2024, 21:35   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Without wanting to start a row, I have to say the thrust of the comments seems counterintuitive? 'We' want solid UK built RIBs for UK waters, built (presumably) by UK workers who are enjoying all the benefits of living and working in the UK. Yet 'we' compare the cost to that of craft that originate in jurisdictions that, let's say, perhaps don't enjoy those benefits, or examine those craft and deride the quality of said vessels. Maybe Smallribber has a point - buy cheap and hope for the best? But please, don't complain about the price of the 'Gold Standard', it is what it is. Remember Scorpion, Ribquest, etc, etc.
It would be interesting to know what a similar spec boat from highfield zodiac or brig would cost probably not a great deal less, it's a bit like comparing a Halberg with a beneteau or a fairline with a Bayliner, if you want the best you'll pay for it regardless.
Old Yesterday, 12:18   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I suspect that the new owners are trying to get back into the retail leisure market, which is a tough gig considering the abundance of Asian imports that they are up against. The previous owners built up the commercial side and sold high value boats to government & commercial buyers. Personally I think that they’ll struggle to compete in the leisure sector. Joe public “generally” wants as much bling for his buck as he can get, & won’t care where his money goes.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:42   #9
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
If you have a chat on the stand they will tell you its a hybrid boat with the console and deck from Ribcraft Middle East on a Ribcraft UK hull. It's more a demo of what can be done if you want to customise your Ribcraft.

Go and say hello and they will explain the boat and the rationale behind it.

Chris
Old Yesterday, 21:29   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Remember Scorpion, Ribquest, etc, etc.
When I bought my Ribcraft 4.8m back in 2010, I’d done quite a bit of research. I was interested in the Ribquest 4.8m too. I even visited their premises in Sheffield via a holiday to York, however when I did the sums I was still short of the overall asking price.

I probably wasn’t Ribcraft’s typical customer. I wanted a bare boat that I could rig myself. The only extras were hypalon wear patches and internal grab handles. I could completely understand buying a fully rigged boat was the way to go but that would have pushed me into the red. The key for me was a proven hull and build that’s second to none and 14 years later it’s as good as the day I bought it.

The UK rib market is still a cottage industry, and boat builders need to determine what audiences they are targeting. Take Zodiac, probably the biggest player in the world with their nautic division, but it nearly went into receivership back in 2015 and was saved by private equity. Zodiac had already bought Avon back in 1998, so RIBs like the Avon Searider would be the reserve of their MilPro division with prices to match.

Similarly Ribeye, happily making premium leisure RIBs, then went exclusively into luxury yacht tender market.

Anyway I don’t want to get too caught up in this. It’s an observation. I still think a sub-6m RIB with proven hull, Suzuki 140hp engine, in-built fuel tank, double A frame and a couple of Ullmann suspension seats is expensive at £69k discounted from £80k.

That said, olive oil at the Coop is £12 a bottle, so what do I know!
Old Yesterday, 22:20   #11

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
The R580 boat show rib is plated at 140hp. Thought the 585 was 150hp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240917_144703.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	146203  
Old Today, 13:03   #12