Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 24 July 2013, 07:56   #1

Town: London
Length: 4m +
Ready to Explore the Medway and Estuary (in a 4.8m RIB)!

So, our boat is finally back in the water (at Gillingham, pics to follow, hopefully this weekend, maybe even some Go-Pro action :-), all the electrics re-done, engine serviced, tubes nice and clean (and air tight :-)

Whilst we've probably missed summer (having officially ended on Monday ;-) it must be time to go exploring!

Obviously our boat is quite small, so we can't go to far afield, but I'd like to think we're relatively well kitted out, obviously we are very shallow draught and fairly narrow (1.8m I think) beam, so we can probably access most places.

In terms of equipment we have the following:
1 x life buoy
5 x auto-inflate lifejackets (we never go out with more than 5 and generally only 3)
1 x fixed DSC VHF
3 x paddles (no idea why its 3 not 2, but at least we have a spare :-)
1 x depth finder
1 x (really, really basic) gps plotter, but no charts, no idea if we can get them actually, will investigate that...
1 x anchor with (I think) 15m of combination chain and warp
1 x 20l portable fuel tank
1 x 30l portable fuel tank
1 x 10l fuel can
1 x fire extinguisher
2 x fuel hose/primer
1 x manual bailer (small bucket)
1 x manual electric bilge pump
1 x pump (for the tubes)
1 x anchor light
2 x lights (not sure what the correct description is, two white lights to see in the dark)!
2 x nav lights (i.e. 1 red, 1 green)
1 x 60hp 2-stroke petrol engine (no backup engine)
1 x fixed compass
1 x set of flares (in date)
3 x kill cord (and complete set of keys for everyone, i.e. anyone could re-start the boat even if someone fell overboard with the complete set of keys & kill cord)

Now, I guess the big omission there is probably the backup engine which we are reluctant to buy as we are planning to sell the boat at the end of the season (or early next season), but with that in mind, where should we be looking to explore?

Is crossing the estuary a step too far (I have sailed round the estuary before, but never been in a small RIB)?
If so, how far round the Kent coast would be within reach for a small RIB?

I have the East Coast Pilot, East Coast Rivers and Crossing the Thames Estuary, so I've had a bit of a read, but I'd still like to get suggestions from those that actively sail there, in terms of day trips, places to visit etc. We would like to push the boundaries a bit and take on some more adventurous trips, but obviously we have no accommodation so would need a pontoon mooring and a nearby hotel/b&b if we do longer journeys.

Also, one point I'm struggling to clarify, in terms of speed limits, I'm aware of the 6 knot limit west of Folly Point, but I can't seem to find information about an 8 knot limit I read about on the Swale. Is anyone able to let me know where exactly this begins and finishes?

Other than that I believe we should listen on ch 16 & 74 and I welcome any other advice/suggestions!

Oh and in terms of crew experience we are made up of the following:

1 x Intermediate Powerboat, Dayskipper (sail), VHF, First Aid, (that's me)
1 x PB2, Dayskipper (sail), but far more sailing experience than me
1 x PB2

The other crew members have approx 10 hours Powerboat experience logged and some sailing experience.

We would normally set out with approximately 50-65l of fuel on board, so at 12 knots I guess that would give us a range of approximately 40-60ish nm (which actually is a lot less than I would have imagined)!

In terms of charts, I have the Imray C1 & C2 charts, am wondering if Y18/Y17 would be better or perhaps one of the folios (bearing in mind large paper charts are a bit awkward in an open RIB)?

So, apologies if that was a bit long, I just wanted to try and give all the facts, but in short, where should we go (also I have posted this on the East Coast Forum on YBW, so some of you may see this twice if you check there regularly, but I am assuming a decent number of people won't hence I thought I'd post it here too)?
Old 24 July 2013, 10:21   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
What about a back-up mobile VHF ? If things were to go wrong very quickly , you may not be able to access the fixed unit . Other than that I'd say you were well enough equipped and crewed for most likely scenarios . Radio check with Thames Coastguard and your in business.........

Pick a good day weather wise and crossing over to Southend should present no problem at all . Never take the weather for granted , even in the Thames Estuary . Wind over tide at the Medway/Thames can get very lively when the tide is on the move. Regards Bern .
Old 24 July 2013, 10:25   #3

Yep I did think about that, probably a wise purchase for the future anyway as it will always come in useful, the reason we hadn't got one so far is that we've never been out of phone coverage and from what I recall where we're likely to go in the estuary we should still have it. But that aside, it still makes sense, I'll add that to the list!
Old 24 July 2013, 15:28   #4

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Welcome to the Mudway err Medway!
I presume you are in the marina, which has timed lock in/out according to sunrise/set and tides.

Places to visit are a little limited due to tide, but depends on what you want.

Upriver, Sun pier has access to Rochester. Beware fishing lines when approaching. Just off Strood is an old Russian submarine (not open to public).

Allington Lock is about 3 hrs away where the tidal Medway becomes non tidal, go up on the tide and arrive at HW. They will charge a visitor fee (about £10 last time I went) to lock in. Maidstone is a nice place to stop for ice cream with many pubs. You can get all the way to Tonbridge if you have time but you will need a lock key.

Queenborough is about half an hour down river with an all tide pontoon. (Make sure you enter by approaching Queenbourgh Spit ECM from the north or west)There are two pubs, the Old House at Home and a bit further up the Flying Dutchman. The OHaH does good beer and bar snacks whereas the FD is more suitable for families or a Sunday roast. Re-entry to the pontoon requires a token (£1 PP) available from the pubs or the Yacht Club.

Down the river Swale is Conyer which has a good pub (The Ship) but little else and is only available HW+/-2hr. Entrance is marked with withies and use the pontoons just before the pub and ask for permision.

Further down the Swale is Harty ferry (on the island side) Has a causeway/hard so difficult to leave the boat unattended.

Faversham has two creeks, with Oare to the west and Faversham to the east. with the Shipwrights arms at the junction. Access HW+/-2hr.

Whitstable is a fishing harbour with a public slip or a steep ladder climb in the harbour. HW+/-3hr for access to the town. Famous for Oysters, there are many restaurants and shops. Best side is the west side of the harbour.
Oyster festival is 27th July to 2nd August.

7Nm North of Whitstable is the Red Sand Forts. Google for details. Worth a look.

Herne Bay is a seaside town with good access to the slip (HW+/-3½hr).

North of Herne Bay is the Kentish Flats windfarm.
Going the other way, Sheerness has a large stone beach with the SS Richard Montgomery wreck a few miles out. (google SS Richard Montgomery for more info). Call Medway VTS (ch74) before getting too close as the area has a prohibited zone with 24hr radar watch and a big police boat nearby.

Southend is a seaside town with a long pier. It is easy to land on the pier but tying the boat up is tricky.

If you wish to venture further then London is a good 3 hours trip, stop off at Limehouse Marina (VHF ch80) then walk down to the Grapes inn.

The 6kn speed limit is west of Folly point (at the start of the mooring trots) going upstream and 8kn from Queenborough through the Swale to Faversham, though in practice most people go through Queenborough at 8kn then onto the plane till Kingsferry Bridge. 8kn through the bridge until out of sight round the bend. Beware the change of buoyage direction at Lillies NCM! Keep to the buoyed channel and lookout for seals.

Medway VTS (ch74) is really for the big ships using the Medway channel. Monitor ch16 though the island usually obscures radio transmission. Thames Coastguard are on 01255 675518.
Old 24 July 2013, 15:42   #5

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: Lavanco
Make: Birchwood
Length: 7m +
Engine: I/O diesel
Hi VJ
Been watching the progress on your boat in the yard, I'm on the pontoons in the mudberth side, looks good from when your boat first arrived , you've done a great job.
Loads of creeks to explore,and the Medway is sheltered unless it's blowing an Easterly hooley.When you planning to go out for the first trip. If I'm out I'll give you a VHF call.
Chris
Old 24 July 2013, 16:01   #6

Great to hear from you Chris (also thanks Swifty for the guide, very useful)!

Annoyingly I haven't been out yet, but one of the guys who co-owns the boat with me has (was there today actually), we're going to be in the tidal basin too, not sure where yet though!

Hopefully I may get down Friday afternoon, depending on the weather and work of course!
Old 26 July 2013, 08:29   #7

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
I shall be in Whitstable all next week.
We are hosting the water team for the Kent Scouts International Jamboree. We are putting around 400 Scouts afloat each day.

Should be fun!

Tags
rib