Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 July 2024, 18:31   #1

Length: 10m +
Repair/replacement of RIB inner tubes

Hey people,

It seems that the inner tubes on my Redbay Stormforce 11 need to be replaced. Does anyone have experience with this type of boat and can give me some tips?

After lifting the boat to drydock, one of the tubulars (the boat has four separate ones on each side) deflated. I assume it is due to the pressure of the straps with which it was lifted and the fact that I did not have a chance to deflate the tubulars before the procedure. I contacted the manufacturer, who told me that I probably need new inner tubes and their fitting strips, but the quote for the materials alone is very high.
Has anyone here already done similar work and can give me some advice?
Thanks
Old 26 July 2024, 22:04   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo View Post
Hey people,

It seems that the inner tubes on my Redbay Stormforce 11 need to be replaced. Does anyone have experience with this type of boat and can give me some tips?

After lifting the boat to drydock, one of the tubulars (the boat has four separate ones on each side) deflated. I assume it is due to the pressure of the straps with which it was lifted and the fact that I did not have a chance to deflate the tubulars before the procedure. I contacted the manufacturer, who told me that I probably need new inner tubes and their fitting strips, but the quote for the materials alone is very high.
Has anyone here already done similar work and can give me some advice?
Thanks
Sounds like the boat is due a retube probably north of 10k for that boat but given the boats considerable value probably money well spent.
Lifting with the tubes inflated may have finished the tubes off but presumably they were already degraded..
I just had a 7.4m delta retubed by Dave Cowal at north west ribs and inflatables who also did my pals 8.4m redbay & did a great job on both. His cost for the redbay was significantly less than redbay wanted to charge
Old 28 July 2024, 19:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Sounds like the boat is due a retube probably north of 10k for that boat but given the boats considerable value probably money well spent.
Lifting with the tubes inflated may have finished the tubes off but presumably they were already degraded..
I just had a 7.4m delta retubed by Dave Cowal at north west ribs and inflatables who also did my pals 8.4m redbay & did a great job on both. His cost for the redbay was significantly less than redbay wanted to charge
Hey thank you!
Unfortunately, the boat is in Sicily so I will have to find something here...where redbay are anything but common. Do you have any info or photos of the replacement process? Do you know if the inner tubes have to be bought from the manufacturer? Thanks again!
Old 28 July 2024, 21:20   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo View Post
Hey thank you!
Unfortunately, the boat is in Sicily so I will have to find something here...where redbay are anything but common. Do you have any info or photos of the replacement process? Do you know if the inner tubes have to be bought from the manufacturer? Thanks again!
The tubes don't have inners they are just complete tubes glued to the flange this episode of the round uk series shows a retube sequence
https://youtu.be/j-ywyYZ73q4?si=ZmrdEU3VezG2RNf9
The tube builder will need a set of templates unless they have done one previously but it's a common boat in the uk & some tube makers will fly out to fit tubes you would need to make enquiries with a few tube makers to find someone to do it