Old 12 August 2023, 07:51   #1

Town: Kyles of Bute
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Rib retubing Scotland

Looking to retube a 5.8 m over the winter, based in Scotland. Just wondering if there is anywhere local that can undertake the job or am I heading South?? Have searched the forum but can't see an answer. Cheers.
Old 12 August 2023, 09:58   #2

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
I will avoid answering your question - and just say that when I was looking for a retube 3 years ago I ended up going to Hull with rib retubes ltd (XS ribs)

If I had another boat to retube I would do the same again - service was excellent - price is right. When I went to pick boat up I was going to ask the best way to attach new trunks - found they had just done it FOC - it’s a small thing - but it’s what makes the difference.

I am based near Aviemore so a long trip x2

don’t know if that helps but it’s one option
Old 12 August 2023, 10:48   #3

Thanks telecast! Did you go for Hypalon or PU?
Old 12 August 2023, 11:44   #4

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
There’s Ferry Marine in livingstone. Good reputation I believe
Old 12 August 2023, 14:11   #5

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Rib retubing Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perroboy View Post
Thanks telecast! Did you go for Hypalon or PU?

Oh dear ….. as it happens I went for PU !

Both same price so take your pick - I think it’s worth chatting it through with them as they have some interesting insights into a very complex decision.

BTW I would do the same if I was doing it again tomorrow
Old 12 August 2023, 14:34   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The most northerly tube manufacturers who also install are Dave Cowal at north west ribs and inflatables in chorley or as mentioned XS ribs in hull. There are a couple of folk in Scotland fit tubes made by other companies but personally I'd rather the manufacturer of the tubes was also the installer just to avoid warranty issues. I wouldn't consider third party fitted tubes just to avoid a bit longer drive. XS & NWR&I both do excellent work Dave Cowal would be my first choice.
Old 12 August 2023, 15:47   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The most northerly tube manufacturers who also install are Dave Cowal at north west ribs and inflatables in chorley or as mentioned XS ribs in hull. There are a couple of folk in Scotland fit tubes made by other companies but personally I'd rather the manufacturer of the tubes was also the installer just to avoid warranty issues. I wouldn't consider third party fitted tubes just to avoid a bit longer drive. XS & NWR&I both do excellent work Dave Cowal would be my first choice.

+1 for Dave Cowal
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 17:42   #8

Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x 200
+2 for Dave, he’s a gent
Old 12 August 2023, 19:25   #9

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
+2 for XS Ribs/ ribs retube uk.
Had my 5m Tornado retubed last year at XS and they have a customer for life..a real nice bunch of skilled chaps and a real quality job ( give um a bell and ask for James.) Do you're own research on PU but I did a lot of digging around...and for me it was the fact that all the seems are welded even the baffling and you can't do that with Hypalon. I'm far from the most experienced you will talk to on here, but I have had several sibs made of Hypalon and all have failed at the seems....but to be honest there is nothing between the two materials.
Xs offer both PU and Hypalon for around the same cost but PU is their area of expertise.
Old 13 August 2023, 11:41   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The most northerly tube manufacturers who also install are Dave Cowal at north west ribs and inflatables in chorley or as mentioned XS ribs in hull. There are a couple of folk in Scotland fit tubes made by other companies but personally I'd rather the manufacturer of the tubes was also the installer just to avoid warranty issues.

I was about to say the same thing - although I suppose if you “expect” to have warranty issues going back to Livingston would be a lot easier than Hull etc. I’ve no reason to doubt the Ferry marine guys tube work - but the are outboard engine people who do a bit of other stuff rather than first and foremost rib people. There was someone over at rosneath a bit more focussed on ribs - perhaps at Silvers? But not sure if still going.
Old 13 August 2023, 12:33   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I was about to say the same thing - although I suppose if you “expect” to have warranty issues going back to Livingston would be a lot easier than Hull etc. I’ve no reason to doubt the Ferry marine guys tube work - but the are outboard engine people who do a bit of other stuff rather than first and foremost rib people. There was someone over at rosneath a bit more focussed on ribs - perhaps at Silvers? But not sure if still going.
I did here the rib guy at ferry marine retired so not sure if they still do tubes or they have a new guy doing tube work. The guy at rosneath is ribs marine I've heard good & bad about them but my experience wasn't good. A few years ago I took a 6.5m boat over for him to overclad the tube tops to improve the looks of the tubes left the boat, he had it probably 6 weeks & he rang me to go take a look, he had stuck a small test patch on which when pulled lifted the remaining thin rubber off the canvas & he wouldn't continue the worst thing was he had removed every fitting , cleats handles wear patches & lifelines from the tubes, basically the previously usable but cosmetically challenged tubes were now fecked, the boat ended up at henshaws for a retube afterwards. Needless to say I wouldn't darken his doors ever again.
Old 13 August 2023, 15:30   #12

Thanks guys! Great info as always.
Old 14 August 2023, 20:43   #13

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
+1 for Dave Cowal
+ 3 for Dave ...Great job at a fair price. He did everything I asked for re changes from the original Cobra ones & little things like fitting a new trunk & making me some tube protectors for fishing & scuba tank graze !

Tags
rib