Old 23 September 2024, 22:51   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Ribcraft dealer

We now have a dealer here in Australia so will no doubt start seeing a few of these boats over here now.
Im considering getting another boat and perhaps the 585 in the future but in all honesty struggling to find much on them in comparison with other boats. Even the website here and the UK seems a lacking in regards to info on them. Contacting dealers direct brings on the hard push for them to sell me a boat, which I don't like, I will buy when Im ready if I decide too if Im happy with the boat. Also the older you get the more tired of bullshit from sales people you become.

Virtually every boat sold here will state what degree of hull a boat has, so straight away people have an idea of sea handling, something Ribraft don't seem to advertise, only the fact its a deep v.

Fuel tank size seems very small (90lt) and doesn't seem to offer options on the website.

Ive watched a few French YouTube videos where these boats are used in conditions similar to what Im used to here in Australia, with bar crossings, tidal rips and large swell and wind waves. In these videos some of the footage looks a little stern heavy with the outboard under water half way up the cowling at times.
Also driving from the front obviously exposes drivers to more pounding and a rougher ride than having the console further back.

In regards to power there's mix of opinions in regards to this. Obviously 115 130 and 140hp are a quite a bit lighter which would help with what looks like a stern heavy boat but these aren't going to be overly exciting when pushing long distances on clam days. Also a jacking plate and 4 blade prop will most likely help with the stern heavy issue. Im not a fan of trim tabs and will never fit a fin of any sort to an outboard having tried them the past, besides if a boat needs a fin on an engine, its not the boat for me.

Its always hard getting honest opinions as what ever boat someone owns they tend to think its better than others. There are people who've owned many boats but will still describe the boat they own as the best, however there are those who are willing to be brutally honest about the pro's and cons of what they have. Im looking for the brutally honest opinions as this will most likely be the last boat I own due to a few spinal injuries which are making boating tougher for me these days, hence why Im after a soft riding vessel that can handle the conditions we mostly have in my area.

Owned a couple of newer Zodiac pro 550 and 500
Skipper a Gemini 730 with twin 150's
Skipper several Naiad boats from 6m to 8m, powered with twin 90's to twin 250's
Skipper a 6m deep V commercial abalone and urchin boat power 250
Owned many 5-6m deep v boats

So the question is are the ribrafts as good as people make out ?
Can they be optioned with more reasonable sized fuel tanks ?
Anyone used one with something as small as a Yam f130.

Ive owned several Suzuki's as well as many of the boats I skipper have them, however I will not buy another personally so only looking at Yam or Mercury in regards to power, most likely 130-150hp.

Apologies if this come across a bit abrupt but I don't see much point talking about how well they go with a Honda 90 etc as Ive just removed one of those from my 4.4m boat as it was greatly lacking.
Old 24 September 2024, 05:34   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
some Ribcraft 585 chat here....

https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/ribcraf...fig-87450.html

If you have a history of back problems , I'm not sure any rib is ideal for wind over tide and crossing bars ( even with mitigation seating ) but good luck .

( btw some 585s had 160 litre fuel tanks )
Old 24 September 2024, 10:08   #3

Unfortunately I have no choice when it comes to sea conditions but I did find my 550 zodiac softer riding than most of the deep v glass boats I use and owned. I have looked over most of the ribcraft threads on here but like I mentioned people will always rave about the good points of their boat. The hull looks very similar to Gemini boats which Ive found very soft riding but also very wet boats compared to the zodiac. Maybe it's a misprint on the tank size but a 160 would be more reasonable.

Also the weight according to this doesn't match with what people on here are stating. The picture shows a Suzuki 150 but the data says from a 140. They say exhilarating performance from a 140 Suzuki but having owned a 140 Suzuki one a lighter boat, I found it quite lacking. Also comments like that from advertising are why I don't want to approach any pushy sales people . At 820kg as tested, seems a little light but if it is that weight I have a new 1.4 ton trailer that could work with it.
Just seems so poor in terms of actual data for a website advertising them.https://ribcraft.com/au/wp-content/u...Sheet_2024.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 8.06.27 pm.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	146251  
Old 24 September 2024, 18:19   #4

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
The standard 585 tank is 90l, there is a 120l option. With a Suzuki 140 I get 0.8/NM so the standard tank is good for 85NM with a 25% reserve. on longer run I carry extra fuel in jerrycans.

I agree the Susi 140DF isn't the most powerful engine (it's an uprated100HP block)but it is economical and pretty reliable. In the UK Ribcraft now have a 150 Merc as an option - if I were buying again I'd probably take that option.

I've found the 585 to be a very dry boat, and it is pretty tough / industrial.

Trust that is of some help.

LT
Old 24 September 2024, 22:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
The standard 585 tank is 90l, there is a 120l option. With a Suzuki 140 I get 0.8/NM so the standard tank is good for 85NM with a 25% reserve. on longer run I carry extra fuel in jerrycans.

I agree the Susi 140DF isn't the most powerful engine (it's an uprated100HP block)but it is economical and pretty reliable. In the UK Ribcraft now have a 150 Merc as an option - if I were buying again I'd probably take that option.

I've found the 585 to be a very dry boat, and it is pretty tough / industrial.

Trust that is of some help.

LT
Thanks for that.
Do you trailer yours and if so what's the total weight ?
The fuel range is pretty small, so would mean I would also need jerry cans which is something I don't like having on deck strapped down. I also sleep on deck in a swag on long range island trips. On the long range trips Ive paid for 210lt drums to be dropped out at remote islands but on my last trip I only used one of the three drums I had paid for due to bad weather, meaning I had to give up the fuel which had cost over $4 lt. By the way the fuel wasn't just left there, it was recovered by the boat that dropped it there. Our runs offshore targeting tuna can often be well over 50nm just to reach the area.

Im also looking at be able the run in the high 30kts when weather allows but would like at least mid 40kts at full rpm, which a mercury 150 should just about do I would think propped right. Having been with various marine rescue groups over the years having something which can quickly get to people if Im in the right area would be handy. My Suzuki 140 was an older 2014 on a 5.4m lighter boat but did have a more reasonable 150lt tank and decent underfloor storage for extra fuel.

Has yours got the console well forward, some seem to have them forward and some set back further. I noticed passengers getting very wet a little further back, which is how the Gemini was too. They were fine in the following seas but got flogged heading Ito it. Also in some of these guys videos the engine goes underwater at times even with just two passengers onboard.
Old 25 September 2024, 00:28   #6

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 200HP
When I enquired about a 585, I was given the choice of a 90L tank or a 180L tank from the factory
Old 25 September 2024, 08:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
When I enquired about a 585, I was given the choice of a 90L tank or a 180L tank from the factory
That would be more like it.
Old 25 September 2024, 11:42   #8
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Join the Ribcraft Owners Group on Facebook!!

Chris
Old 25 September 2024, 15:11   #9

Town: Melb
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Jonp,

I work for Ribcraft based in our Melbourne office. I’ll drop you a message with my contact details. Feel free to connect and I’d be happy to discuss the 585 or any other Ribcraft model.

I’m hoping to have a 585 demo in Australia in the coming months. I’ll let you know when it arrives and see if it is feasible to arrange a sea trial for you. There is only so much you can learn about a boat from videos and customer feedback. There is no substitute for getting behind the wheel and testing out a boat for yourself.

The main thing to know about Ribcraft is that we custom build to order. Our boats are fully configurable so things like fuel capacity, console and seat positions are all flexible and customised to match the client’s requirements.

Best regards,

Paul
Old 25 September 2024, 16:52   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have a DF 140 on my 545 & I would describe it as “satisfactory”, certainly not “exhilarating”. I had a 175 Evinrude FICHT on my 585 and that WAS exhilarating, chine walking at 50kn certainly got the heart pumping. I would want the Merc 150 on it if I was to buy another, they are a heavy boat & need some ooomph. I don’t know how they are going to market them in OZ, but here in the UK, if you order from the factory, you can have just about any configuration you want. My 545 has a 180l tank. They are as ever, an industrial finish & layout, all the Ribcrafts I’ve owned have been very dry rides. I’ve had a 585/6.4/545. The 585 is probably the sweet spot for recreational boaters, it was built like the proverbial & would handle anything. Make sure you get the XL transom version for the extra freeboard at the stern, depending on the configuration, they can be stern heavy, but if you have the console up front & the larger fuel tank, they balance out well.
Another thing to consider is the rigging of the boat. Unless things have changed drastically under the new owners, the rigging of the engine/steering/electrics leaves a lot to be desired. I bought my 545 “un-rigged” , I had Ribcraft bolt the engine to the transom & that was it. Everything else was supplied loose in boxes. I rigged the engine & did all the electrical work. Ribcraft didn’t (and probably still don’t) use tinned copper cables for the electrical installation, which is unforgivable in my book. So depending on your skill set, either rig the boat yourself or get someone you know and trust to do it.
Don’t get me wrong, RC make an excellent hull/tubes/console/stainless work, but their rigging is poor imho.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2024, 16:54   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulribcraft View Post
Jonp,

I work for Ribcraft based in our Melbourne office. I’ll drop you a message with my contact details. Feel free to connect and I’d be happy to discuss the 585 or any other Ribcraft model.

I’m hoping to have a 585 demo in Australia in the coming months. I’ll let you know when it arrives and see if it is feasible to arrange a sea trial for you. There is only so much you can learn about a boat from videos and customer feedback. There is no substitute for getting behind the wheel and testing out a boat for yourself.

The main thing to know about Ribcraft is that we custom build to order. Our boats are fully configurable so things like fuel capacity, console and seat positions are all flexible and customised to match the client’s requirements.

Best regards,

Paul
Another trade membership on its way
Old 25 September 2024, 18:12   #12

Town: Manchester
Engine: Suzuki 140
My 585 has a 180L tank

I have the Suz 140 and I’d say it was quite fun when one or two up without much fuel or load

It’s adequate when you start adding more people or towing stuff. I got it second hand so quite happy.

If I were to buy a new one I’d want the Merc 150

Tags
rib, ribcraft