Old 10 August 2024, 17:55   #1

Town: Hildenborough
Boat name: N/a
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: 80hp
Ribeye a500 + 80hp - power?

Hi

I’m contemplating buying a Ribeye A500 (2008) with a 80hp (2016) as our first step into RIB boating. We are a family of 4 and want to do water skiing / towables etc so trying to work out if 80hp will be more than enough power? We would also like to enjoy the boat with our friends so might end up with 7 on the boat. The boat has seats for 7 people so I assume it would be fine for just cruising I.e would it get onto the plane without issues?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11 August 2024, 07:57   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
A 5m boat with 80 hp should be fine for your purpose if it struggles a little on the fully loaded days you can always reduce prop pitch slightly to handle the extra weight. We have always found watersports are better when you drop the bulk of the crew on a beach & have only driver & observer in the boat whilst skiing etc
Old 11 August 2024, 22:47   #3

Great - thanks beamishken!

When buying a boat from a private seller what paperwork should be exchanged i.e when buying a car you update the log book to represent the new ownership so what is the situation when buying a boat?

Thanks
Old 12 August 2024, 07:44   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9greej10 View Post
Great - thanks beamishken!

When buying a boat from a private seller what paperwork should be exchanged i.e when buying a car you update the log book to represent the new ownership so what is the situation when buying a boat?

Thanks
A lot depends on the age of the boat and often how many times a boat has changed hands. Technically you need nothing just pay the money & take it away, no log book or registration like a car. However if you ever want to take it abroad you will need to have the origional purchase receipt showing it was vat paid. If not available which it often isnt then some form of proof of ownership would be good, service records invoices for any repairs or accessories are handy but often as boats get older & have changed hands a few times the paper trail becomes less. I'm not sure how finance agreements work on newer boats but worth checking there is no outstanding finance against the boat, I think its pretty rare but I'm no expert hopefully someone else will advise.
You need to be buying from an enthusiastic owner who is happy to demonstrate how good his boat is & see it go to an appreciative buyer. If the seller is cagey & doesnt offer information or doesnt know the boat then beware. Be careful of the dont have time for it anymore so not used it this year so may need a service type of sales as they often have running faults not immediately apparent. Try & find something that has been in use until sold.
Old 17 August 2024, 20:18   #5

Great - thank you very much for the information!

Tags
rib