Old 16 June 2023, 17:46   #1

Town: Stroud
Boat name: Scud
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 40 mariners
Scilly stuff.

A while back, I flew over the Scilly isles on the way to the Caribbean and thought I had dozed off and was over the Bahamas already.

I want to take my rib there. Where do I launch from in Cornwall? Can I store car and trailer for a few days, if so, where?

If I get there, is there a beach I can put up a tent on? It’s just me, don’t want the dogs and family with me for first visit.

Thanks. Scud.
Old 18 June 2023, 08:22   #2

Town: London/Pembrokeshire
Make: Solent
Engine: 75hp Etec
Scilly stuff.

Couple of thoughts:

1. Launching - Penzance harbour by the sailing club (Google plus code “4FC9+4J8 Penzance”) When we went (2014 pre kids) we simply parked the car with trailer attached in the harbour car park and all was fine. Since then, a fence has been erected for boat and trailer storage which I assume is associated to the sailing club. I don’t know if my assumption is correct but you might be able to agree a fee with them.

2. Camping - we camped on Bryher at the campsite there. Although they will likely show as being full on the dates you end up going (if it’s this year) I’d suggest calling as they are very accommodating and will find you some grass to pitch. I’ve not camped on the other islands so can’t comment. If you do end up heading for Bryher, passage plan on having a minimum 1.4m of water to access the Bryher/Tresco channel from the south.

Definitely do it though - it’s been our best trip by far and has caused us to return to Bryher as a family. We only got back from another visit a week ago!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7079.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	142884
Old 18 June 2023, 10:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJones View Post
Couple of thoughts:

1. Launching - Penzance harbour by the sailing club (Google plus code “4FC9+4J8 Penzance”) When we went (2014 pre kids) we simply parked the car with trailer attached in the harbour car park and all was fine. Since then, a fence has been erected for boat and trailer storage which I assume is associated to the sailing club. I don’t know if my assumption is correct but you might be able to agree a fee with them.

2. Camping - we camped on Bryher at the campsite there. Although they will likely show as being full on the dates you end up going (if it’s this year) I’d suggest calling as they are very accommodating and will find you some grass to pitch. I’ve not camped on the other islands so can’t comment. If you do end up heading for Bryher, passage plan on having a minimum 1.4m of water to access the Bryher/Tresco channel from the south.

Definitely do it though - it’s been our best trip by far and has caused us to return to Bryher as a family. We only got back from another visit a week ago!

Attachment 142884

Thanks H. All good info.
Old 18 June 2023, 15:52   #4

Have had a look at options on this. Where did you moor up near Bryher? By the way, thanks for the info.
Old 18 June 2023, 16:03   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
There are visitor moorings in New Grimbsy Sound about equidistant between Bryher and Tresco that you can use (for a fee I believe). Although personally on our (lift keel) sailing yacht we always dried out on the sand in Green Bay on Bryher just south of Church Quay, and you'd sometimes see some RIB's/dinghies doing the same.

Bryher is one option (and we do love it too), but most of the islands have campsites. Definitely get some charts and pilot books for the area, as navigation around the islands needs some careful planning and checking of tides/depth/obstacles!
Old 18 June 2023, 16:07   #6

Thanks Paul.