Old 07 August 2020, 19:52   #1

Town: Barry
Make: Ribeye
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 15hp
RIBase
SeaRider 5.4 todo list advice and help

Hi guys I’ve just bought an old new to me rib see pics
Tubes look ok new valves needed and a very good clean Been told to stay away from painting them and thoughts on this??
Rubbing strake on outside of tubes are pretty bad will need to replace( any ideas guys)
Engine is a 50hp with a 60hp block ??? Don’t really know what this means ! But it started fine pumped water and went into gear although this was all done in a bucket so not yet had the chance to try the boat out as it was an eBay impulse
Comes with a stainless steel trailer but will need some rollers because the boat is sat on the trailer supports. Seen some on eBay!!
The hull has been painted by a yts decorator so this need some attention And maybe a colour change. International 2 pac in Mediterranean white is a choice I like as the tube are very dark grey
Console is very small and tatty so looking to upgrade and to add more seats. Boat was previously used for divers so I think it can handle a few extra pounds as I won’t be diving
The floor was replaced as far as I understand and seems solid
I will collate and research as much as possible as I want to cart out the upgrades over the winter.
Any info from you guys will be much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D0FACD5-2D2F-420E-8C5A-283EDD326DDF.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	134515   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E1EEACD-C420-44A9-8BF1-976110DF0F52.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	134516   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB6EE962-08E0-4F34-B9CF-65DAA99D1002.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	134517   Click image for larger version

Name:	6657C44A-AE48-4813-B823-0B0819CDA1D7.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	134518   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0A2CA60-3EF8-4DCB-BD6C-516556CD2117.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	134519  

Old 09 August 2020, 18:48   #2

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Good luck, you have a colossal amount of work ahead of you ��

Be aware you will almost certainly be financially better off taking that boat to the scrapyard and buying a better condition one.
Old 10 August 2020, 13:17   #3

Town: Sainte-Marie, Quebec
Make: Zodiac Ribster 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90HP Evinrude E-Tec
Good day Ribeye 330
Most engine manufacturer use the same block (same displacement) for different horsepower. Your MARINER (made by Yamaha before 1980 and then by Mercury) was probably available in a 50hp and 60hp version, therefore the “50hp with a 60hp block”. Even today the 50hp and 60hp from Mercury have the same 4 cylinder 995cc engine block.
A lot can be made with “elbow grease” especially if, like me, you have (almost) as much fun working on your boat than using it. You will be able to give a much better look to the complete rig. If everything related to the console is working well. I suggest using it at least a season before replacing it. The choice of what to install and if the remaining value of the boat justify it will be more clear. Because, even if “Be aware you will almost certainly be financially better off taking that boat to the scrapyard and buying a better condition one” is a very crude way to say it, it is easy to spend too much on a boat…
Have fun with your Searider !
Old 22 August 2020, 21:07   #4

RIBase
Thanks for the good info regarding the engine
I got the boat because like you I like to tinker and try and return things to some of their former glory.
The searider has seen better days ( transom is like a trampoline) but with such a cheap outfit that it was I don’t mind spending a few hundred:rolleyes
I’ve managed to acquire a nice a frame and larger console already
With regards to the transom I’ve been looking at a composite filler then glass over as normal with some composite stringers to the deck as extra support or do you think marine ply would be better. Any thought welcome on this
I will post some pics soon of my other little project a ribeye 330 which was in a hell of a state ( I could crawl through the hole in the tubes !!!)
Old 24 August 2020, 17:49   #5

RIBase
A few pics of the ribeye when I picked it up to finally getting the tubes to hold air and making a clean spot on the hull.
Dropped the keg off the 4 stroke engine to find it full of dead wasps
Old 24 August 2020, 19:16   #6

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Check the floor is solid as my sr4 is squishy underfoot it's terrifying. Maybe block off the flooding hull I'd it hasn't been done already. As for a new transom when you make the new one wrap fiberglass over the top as that's how the water gets in and rots it out. Also happened to me haha. Stock rubbing strake is pretty pathetic, get a modern one that has a cover hook, just glue it on over the standard one
Old 24 August 2020, 20:37   #7

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
If replacing the transom, the only right way is with fresh wood. WBP is fine rather than marine ply though.

Tags
searider