Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 August 2010, 13:27   #1

Town: bournemouth
Length: 6m +
seen cheap zapcat on ebay should i buy

hi im new to this site and i apologise im on the scrounge for info i have seen a what looks like a cheap zapcat on ebay in poole i have no real experience with these but have had other boats mainly dorys and bostons i know these are absolute animals but am looking for a bit of fun. im going to look at it on sat is there anything i should look out for any assistance would be greatly appreciated ive also got to persuade the wife to let me have a new toy thanks in anticipation
Old 19 August 2010, 14:55   #2
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
take out extra life insurance policy - should keep wife happy!

S.
Old 21 August 2010, 13:51   #3

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
Zapcat is a fantastic toy, very cheap to ride, and very safe if you take care ... and learn where are the limits !
Old 21 August 2010, 18:47   #4

Town: Thurso
Make: Gemini Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Send a message via MSN to bobbyjoeufb
Zapcats very capable crafts can be used to crusie along or blast about at full throttle.

What to look out for? I would suggest check the tubes for wear and tear transom for cracks and floorboard damage plus the normal engine checks.

Parts easily availible and Tohatsu Outboard very simple and reliable motor.
Old 27 August 2010, 17:45   #5

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Quote:
Originally Posted by numesold View Post
hi im new to this site and i apologise im on the scrounge for info i have seen a what looks like a cheap zapcat on ebay in poole i have no real experience with these but have had other boats mainly dorys and bostons i know these are absolute animals but am looking for a bit of fun. im going to look at it on sat is there anything i should look out for any assistance would be greatly appreciated ive also got to persuade the wife to let me have a new toy thanks in anticipation
These are indeed massive fun. Check it's got the tiller extension/damper mod, look for cracked floorboards and examine the keels for excessive wear as they get driven on to the shore pretty hard by some owners. Have a careful look at the engine to see if it has been dunked and not properly cleaned and greased afterward. Those engines are brilliant but rusted bolts etc are bad news in a few short years.

Finally consider carefully whether you're likely to be a solo user -like most inflatables with big OBs they're scary solo heading into a wind driven waves. Solo use , other than scary straightline speed will not allow you exploit much of their potential.

Oh and expect to get black and blue and wet - very wet!
Old 28 August 2010, 08:24   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
I just recently bought a zapcat from the well known auction site, only mines brand new (310 quid!!). they are epic fun, the checks the others suggest are all spot on. It may be worth asking what pressures they ran the tubes at as some racers hugely overpressurise for extra performance not considering if they are impacting the boats longevity. As for getting wet - you will need wetsuits all round - this is not a boat for pootling about in! I found that gath winsurfing helmets with retractable visors are excellent for keeping safe and keeping the utterly unbelievable amounts of spray out of your eyes so you can see where you are going - helpful at 40+ knots!
I havent really found steering dampers necessary, but im only using 40hp and even so it is pretty aggressive. If you want a fifty i should imagine youll certainly need a damper to tame that wild animal!

Best of luck and play safe.