Old 15 September 2024, 12:07   #1

Town: Sogn
Length: 4m +
Should I chop this transom?

Picked up this otherwise new, display model "Admiral" AM380 SIB for the equivalent of 400 GBP just the other day.

Despite the country of origin giving my Finnish partner and I the heebie jeebies I decided the build quality and material spec made it a solid deal (I'll just grind off "Made in Russia" from the identifier plate). Spent the afternoon yesterday adding some fun accessories and decided to plomp my baby 10 horse Merc on the back to see how much pressure the wheels would need...

Sad realisation hit me when I noticed the transom was a good 19 inches long versus the short shaft Merc. I have a short shaft Suzuki DT30 under restoration for the boat too for extra grief.

Should I cut down the transom about 3 inches to start with or is there a better option out there? All my other boats have been short shaft so this one caught me off guard...

Cheers for the tips!
Old 15 September 2024, 12:24   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Personally I can't reconcile chopping a new boat to fit an old engine. Especially an engine that is arguably underpowered for the boat in question. If the boat is a keeper, I'd be looking for an appropriate engine. If, (bearing in mind the price you paid) you're happy to write it off as a disposable plaything, then take the saw to it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 12:37   #3

It is basically brand spanking new. Can't find much info despite the manufacturer page stating it's for "Professional Hunting use". Seems rather heavy construction for a SIB but my only experience is with RIBs before this. States max 30hp outboard

Will have to weigh up the prices of a new used engine then
. Was thinking about buying a good 25-30hp four-stroke. Yamaha F-25 the best bet for power to weight these days?

Will be using it as a spearfishing and fishing boat or as an extra tender for my 42ft sailboat. Will be keeping my 310cm RIB for our sailing trips but could be fun to keep this one folded up for more luxury when long term anchoring. That's why dual purposing the outboards I already possess may be best. Also no mention of center keel pressure. Working pressure of tubes is stamped at 3.2PSI (0.22 BAR).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240915_133430.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	146173  
Old 15 September 2024, 13:08   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
£400 seems pretty good...but what you have is the top end of the Chinese Market (Not Russian made) despite what the plate tells you. So you have the intex Mariner level sib that is made from thicker pvc and should be fairly robust....and for £400 you can't go far wrong.
I would cash in your outboards and buy the correct size outboard and I would go for a 25hp two stroke / not four as it's too heavy.
Old 15 September 2024, 13:31   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>intex Mariner level sib

Really? I thought Intex Mariners were round both ends with a clip on tube outboard mount, one step up from a beach toy. This Admiral does have a hint of the look of the Elling (Ukraine) I owned.

Re the transom and outboard I agree with PD that will never go really well with a 10hp (maybe OK if one person and not too much kit) and 30hp is probably too much. I'd be looking 15-20HP probably preferring a 20 if you are OK to carry it, not such a problem if you use a trailer.

In any case even with that outboard the transom doesn't look like it needs to lose 3" so yep sort out the ideal outboard, trial the combo and think further about doing any cutting down.
Old 15 September 2024, 14:07   #6

In the same category as the intex Mariner ( I did have one) they are not built like the dinghy you can buy in the middle at lidl but are more at the top end of the toy scale....fun none the less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_151019.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	146174  
Old 15 September 2024, 16:01   #7

According to the catalogue here: http://admiralboat.com/Admiral%202016%20catalogue.pdf

It's their "Seaworthy AM380" which is built in Russia. Says so on the transom as well. Material specsheet looks decent too:

Sometimes too good to be true turns out to be a good buy! Was part of a bankrupted boatbuilders factory so allegedly it may have been purchased as a tender for an unfinished boat. The included lifting straps make me think this is the likely explanation. I just low balled the guy who had it in storage and he bit!

Finding a good engine for it is definitely on the cards then. I do like the specs of the Yamaha F25 or Suzuki DF25A but definitely don't have the funds for a new model this year. Should be able to carry either of them short distances as I can handle the DT30 ok already. Will see what pops up on the used market, including interesting two strokes and sell off the Suzuki DT30 shorty I have.
Old 15 September 2024, 16:27   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
For £ 400 I wouldnt hesitate cutting the transom if you have an engine that would then fit the boat , I'd go for a 2" chop first as standard shaft is 15-16" & you can often run an inch high sometimes more depending on the boat and use.Sibs are basically disposable boats with a limited life of around 10 years (some do last longer) so cutting the transom wont hurt imho
Remember a 4 stroke will be heavier than your 2 stroke & when you do upgrade a standard shaft engine will be slightly cheaper & slightly lighter
Old 15 September 2024, 16:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
For £ 400 I wouldnt hesitate cutting the transom if you have an engine that would then fit the boat , I'd go for a 2" chop first as standard shaft is 15-16" & you can often run an inch high sometimes more depending on the boat and use.Sibs are basically disposable boats with a limited life of around 10 years (some do last longer) so cutting the transom wont hurt imho
Remember a 4 stroke will be heavier than your 2 stroke & when you do upgrade a standard shaft engine will be slightly cheaper & slightly lighter

This is the easiest method for sure. Found some parts motors online just now which may allow me to build a longshaft out of my DT30 (twin cylinder) for cheap. Thinking it's simply a case of swapping out the driveshaft and midsection (exhaust housing). Wish I could just take the thing out for a spin with the Gal and hound to see if it's worth keeping! PONDERING.
Old 15 September 2024, 16:56   #10

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRib View Post
This is the easiest method for sure. Found some parts motors online just now which may allow me to build a longshaft out of my DT30 (twin cylinder) for cheap. Thinking it's simply a case of swapping out the driveshaft and midsection (exhaust housing). Wish I could just take the thing out for a spin with the Gal and hound to see if it's worth keeping! PONDERING.
It'll probably run at displacement speed with your 10 hp merc just fine as long as the engine is far enough down to pick up water it wont plane but should be ok at 5 kts or so
Old 15 September 2024, 17:28   #11

Good idea. I'll take it up to the local lake for some trout fishing! Cheers
Old 15 September 2024, 19:09   #12

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRib View Post
~as an extra tender for my 42ft sailboat.
That wouldn't happen to be a Swan would it? My mom was from Jakobstad (Pietarsaari) where Swan's are made. My grandfather had a Swan. He also fought in two World wars against evil, so I get the hesitation.

If it were my boat I would put a bigger motor on, but they get heavier quickly, and as you know everything on a rolling sailboat gets harder. On land it is not as much of a big deal. If you can get the parts cheap for the 2cyl 30hp that is probably the way I would go. The change over to long shaft is pretty easy to perform.

On the other hand if you run it and want to keep the current outboard the transom could be cut down, then if someone wanted to put a long shaft on, it wouldn't be hard to add back onto the transom.
Old 16 September 2024, 06:40   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Never mind the boat! Is that an Alfa Spider convertible lurking next to it? Any more pictures, looks sweet as a nut.
Old 16 September 2024, 09:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Never mind the boat! Is that an Alfa Spider convertible lurking next to it? Any more pictures, looks sweet as a nut.
I wonder if it's the boat tail version or the flat rear with the black insert?
Old Yesterday, 10:54   #15

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
I'd chop it if it were mine.

I was in a similar situation when I was rebuilding a Zodiac and I have only short shaft motors so I made the new transom to fit instead of getting a new motor. After using it a bit I was happy I opted to lower the transom instead of getting a new motor. It's heavier and harder to transport a long shaft if you want to keep the boat packable.
Old Yesterday, 17:32   #16

Turns out that heavy stainless girder on the back is a jack plate! What would the best material for the rear transom plate be, considering I'll be using the 30HP 2 smoker after all? Marine ply?

Old Yesterday, 17:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
I wonder if it's the boat tail version or the flat rear with the black insert?

It's a 72' Veloce 2000 to be exact, flat bum. Great car, had it since I was 18 but sadly due for it's notorious Alfa rust restoration (channels are buggered) so I'm selling cheap. Don't have time for car restos any longer thanks to the aforementioned 42ft bluewater sailboat (also in need of a refit). Just this year I sold an MK1 Ford Transit bus and a 76' BMW e21 BAUR Targa.

Good to simplify in this life. Salt in the blood is all encompassing!
Old Yesterday, 17:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
That wouldn't happen to be a Swan would it? My mom was from Jakobstad (Pietarsaari) where Swan's are made. My grandfather had a Swan. He also fought in two World wars against evil, so I get the hesitation.

If it were my boat I would put a bigger motor on, but they get heavier quickly, and as you know everything on a rolling sailboat gets harder. On land it is not as much of a big deal. If you can get the parts cheap for the 2cyl 30hp that is probably the way I would go. The change over to long shaft is pretty easy to perform.

On the other hand if you run it and want to keep the current outboard the transom could be cut down, then if someone wanted to put a long shaft on, it wouldn't be hard to add back onto the transom.

I wish it was a Swan haha! Granddad had seriously good taste and obviously knew how to keep his head down. No it's a 42ft Vagabond Cutter, heavy bluewater boat. Spent two years living aboard and sailing up and down the Norwegian coast and now I can't let her go... It's actually about to be plonked in my backyard for a full refit so we can go on a proper Atlantic crossing!

Old Today, 09:10   #19
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well that's a good result and makes sense, there are almost no SIBs of that length made as long shafts.