Click Here to Login

Old 28 June 2023, 07:50   #21

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
Launched from Fowey yesterday...love Fowey but my car didn't like the tow up the slip,luckily some big Cornish rowers were just recovering so pushed me....bless um.
Back to the drawing board....next stop Mylor.
Hi, I staying in Fowey later this year and had planned to use the slip.
What is your car?
Old 28 June 2023, 08:07   #22

In case Mr Ellis doesn't reply in time.

Through Truro, head towards Falmouth A39, 1/2 mile past Devoran roundabout you will see the Norway Inn on your right - turn next left (I think the Marina is signposted) Go through Mylor Bridge (watch your speed!) and head for Mylor Churchtown. As you get to the Marina 1st car park on your left is best but if its full, launch at the first slip and park at the Marina office car park on your right past the cafe.
Old 28 June 2023, 08:42   #23

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi, I staying in Fowey later this year and had planned to use the slip.
What is your car?
Bmw 520d estate, I had chocks under the rear wheels as I didn't want to end up a news story in the Cornish & Devon Post.. I only have a 5m Tornado too.
Old 28 June 2023, 17:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
In case Mr Ellis doesn't reply in time.

Through Truro, head towards Falmouth A39, 1/2 mile past Devoran roundabout you will see the Norway Inn on your right - turn next left (I think the Marina is signposted) Go through Mylor Bridge (watch your speed!) and head for Mylor Churchtown. As you get to the Marina 1st car park on your left is best but if its full, launch at the first slip and park at the Marina office car park on your right past the cafe.
Thanks for that.
Old 28 June 2023, 20:32   #25

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yam 150F
Hi Fastasfox, I can recommend Mylar Cafe too, it’s my local slip and coffee shop. You should have no problem launching here with your BMW, just avoid low water springs. I launch my Ribcraft 585 here with a transporter van most states of the tide and only use my discovery if the water is only just at the end of the slipway. If you want any local knowledge I’ll try to help.
Old 28 June 2023, 22:41   #26

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
That is a great call....is there a public slip or is it a yacht club?

Cheers.

Sorry for the delay in replying. It is a public slip, at the end of the car park. You have to do a turn, and it can get a bit crowded as there is a cafe there, but go early or late and it is fine. There was a few ribs down last year staying at the camp site, and we all moored the ribs on the mid river pontoon. There is a water taxi to take you out / back. It is a stunning location, and we did all the local harbours, Falmouth, Mevagessey, Polperrow, Looe, Gorran Haven, Lantic Bay as well as Charlestown.
Old 28 June 2023, 23:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
Hi Fastasfox, I can recommend Mylar Cafe too, it’s my local slip and coffee shop. You should have no problem launching here with your BMW, just avoid low water springs. I launch my Ribcraft 585 here with a transporter van most states of the tide and only use my discovery if the water is only just at the end of the slipway. If you want any local knowledge I’ll try to help.
Cheers I will give it a go... just waiting on a weather window as it's not looking good at the moment. Do you know the speed limit on Carrick Road?

Thanks.
Old 28 June 2023, 23:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
Sorry for the delay in replying. It is a public slip, at the end of the car park. You have to do a turn, and it can get a bit crowded as there is a cafe there, but go early or late and it is fine. There was a few ribs down last year staying at the camp site, and we all moored the ribs on the mid river pontoon. There is a water taxi to take you out / back. It is a stunning location, and we did all the local harbours, Falmouth, Mevagessey, Polperrow, Looe, Gorran Haven, Lantic Bay as well as Charlestown.
I gave it a go yesterday but my car was really struggling to recover my boat as the slip is quite steep...I need a range rover lol.
Old 29 June 2023, 19:11   #29

[QUOTE=fastasfox;864220]Cheers I will give it a go... just waiting on a weather window as it's not looking good at the moment. Do you know the speed limit on Carrick Road?

There’s no speed limit once you’re out the marina channel

What size rib is it? I’d have thought you’d be ok with your car.
Old 29 June 2023, 19:20   #30

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I've launched and recovered the 5.5 at Fowey with an Insignia and Avensis without any issues. I've not tried spring low but the slipway by the ferry is usually fine.

Not so sure of the other slips in the town they're a bit severe.

Mind you last time we went that way, we launched at Plymouth and steamed over - so much nicer then the trip by road!

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2023, 19:23   #31

There is a speed limit up the River Fal and Restronguet Creek where you'll find Pandora Inn, worth a stop off (has a pontoon) for lunch and/or a drink. Watch the entrance to Restronguet Creek, when I visited there was a sandbank about 30 metres before the entrance which I was told tends to move about a bit.
Old 30 June 2023, 08:54   #32

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
+1. Well worth a visit.
www.pandorainn.com
Old 30 June 2023, 09:15   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
Launched at Mylor yesterday and as you and other's said it's a great place to launch...fuss free. Launched then drove down to Mylor Harbour reception and payed my £7 to park the trailer.
Conditions weren't ideal but okay. We went out to Falmouth Bay and got the towable out for my Son and his friend to have a little fun on, as the bay was calmer
Cheers for the info..great shout.

Stay safe.... Foxy
Old 30 June 2023, 09:16   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
+1. Well worth a visit.
www.pandorainn.com
Cheers.
Old 30 June 2023, 18:37   #35

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
+1. Well worth a visit.
www.pandorainn.com
The last time I went there was just before (weeks rather than minutes) the devastating fire. Four or five years ago methinks. No - after Googling it, I discover the fire was in 2011. How time flies. I do recall the Sunday lunch being very good though.
Old 30 June 2023, 19:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post

The last time I went there was just before (weeks rather than minutes) the devastating fire. Four or five years ago methinks. No - after Googling it, I discover the fire was in 2011. How time flies. I do recall the Sunday lunch being very good though.
A fire in 2011, they've done a good refurb job as there is no trace of anything now.
I was there last year, twice for lunch which was very good, and once for an evening meal which was excellent.
Old 30 June 2023, 20:44   #37

As well as the Pandora, the Working Boat which is under the Greenbank hotel (Falmouth) is worth a pint and has a pontoon, just watch low water and the depth. Across the bay, the Shipwrights on the Helfold (South Side) is lovely, I haven’t eaten there for a while and since the new owners took over I’m not sure the pontoon is there, it wasn’t last summer due to issues with the fishermen. St Mawes has a few options and you should be able to tie up to the pontoon, just don’t tie up to the steps where the ferry’s come in. If the weather as has been is a bit blustery, you could have a trip up the river to Malpas, the Heron Inn is an option and last time we were able to tie up to the pontoon there. Have fun
Old 04 July 2023, 21:29   #38
tsw

Town: Gorran Haven
Boat name: Anchor Management
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp EFI mariner
We’re in Gorran haven you can launch here and there’s a big car park launching and retrieving is restricted between 10-6
Portmellon can be hit and miss slipway is slippery and bent but is usually perfectly doable 👍
Old 04 July 2023, 21:55   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsw View Post
We’re in Gorran haven you can launch here and there’s a big car park launching and retrieving is restricted between 10-6
Portmellon can be hit and miss slipway is slippery and bent but is usually perfectly doable 👍
I launched at Gorran Haven last year...the harbour master was a nice chap.
Problem is as you pointed out you are restricted between 10 and 6 . The other problem is that other tourists hang around on the slip, and as I drive a rear wheel drive car, I need a run up as the slip has a step at the end of it.
Last year I saved a young teenage girl getting crushed under the wheels of a boat trailer (I had to yank her out of the way) as the lady driver forgot she had a trailer on and was fixed on where she needed to go not looking in her mirrors...could have been very nasty. So Gorran is not suitable for me I'm afraid.

I was down at Gorran Haven the other day....what boat do you own?
Cheers.