Old 31 January 2016, 22:06   #1

Town: Devoran
Boat name: UP79
Make: Ribeye A550
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100
South Coast Cornwall

Going to be based at Mylor from March onward. I am after suggested routes, days out etc..anywhere that publishes these? Have done Pandora before and will continue to do so, any other pubs worth visiting via water? Also love anchoring off St Mawes, and looking forward to more adventurous bay hopping...any suggestions welcome....Thanks, Matt
Old 31 January 2016, 22:55   #2

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Plenty to see up the Helford river, up to Gweek boatyard & the Seal Sanctuary.
Further along you've got Porthallow & Porthoustock & the Manacles reef. Inside the reef is Dean quarry & there's a fair bit of controversy about it as plans have been put forward to re-open it as one of the sources of the rock armour for Swansea.
If you're into diving try Porthkerris Divers as they do a lot on the reef & the wreck of the SS Mohegan is on the outer Manacles. http://porthkerris.com/
Past that you've got Coverack & the Paris pub - named for the SS Paris which went ashore in 1899 on Lowland Point. The old lifeboat house is a restaurant & also does good fish & chips. Village website: Coverack Community Website Harbour dries, so either tender or timing. Bay is sandy bottom so good anchorage & a popular overnight stop for yachts. NOT safe in an easterly.
This webcam worth a look: Hotel in Cornwall on the Lizard Peninsula. The Bay Hotel overlooking the beach at Coverack near Helston and West Penrith, Cornwall.
Further along, after Black Head and before Kennack Sands you have Lankidden Cove beach which is now best approached from seaward as the old route down the cliff is iffy! Best with a small tender so you can anchor off. That's where the trawler Scuderia ended up when the skipper fell asleep on watch - his AIS track showed a dead straight line from Roscoff, France to the beach! 50 yards to the east she'd have just run up on the sandy bottom, but his luck had to run out at some point!
Cadgwith a bit further along - location of 'the Fisherman's Apprentice' - then Lizard lifeboat house & the Lizard.
Old 01 February 2016, 07:52   #3

If you continue round the Lizard you're then coming into Mount's bay.
Many more beaches. Mullion worth a look, there are what many think are 'smuggler's caves' just off the harbour. They're actually the remains of mining of soaprock, a material used to make porcelain before the discovery of china clay in Britain as porcelain was previously imported from China.
Photos of Mullion incl some history & photos of the storm damage & repairs from a couple of years ago: https://sites.google.com/site/histor...oveandharbour/
Also the home of Geoffrey Wellum, one of the remaining 'Few'.
If you walk up from the harbour you will find the Craft centre & chocolate factory: Welcome | The Chocolate Factory and Craft Centre

Whilst not really a boat trip, the Minack Theatre & Porthcurno beach worth a visit. A performance at the Minack well worth taking in with the backdrop of the night sky but be warned, the performance will go ahead pretty much whatever the weather so taking oilskins isn't a bad idea!
Old 01 February 2016, 08:03   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by up1979 View Post
Going to be based at Mylor.... Have done Pandora before.
Steady!! That must be nearly a mile and nowhere near open sea.

There's shedloads out of here, left or right. Just keep going either 'til you find something interesting or pretty.

The Helford should be on your list, then maybe Fowey.
Old 01 February 2016, 08:05   #5

Paintman, that is all fantastic information, you obviously know that stretch well! Looking forward to trying all of your suggestions. Looks like it will be worth towing a smaller tender depending on which routes we choose to really capitalise on the locations? Really appreciate your quick response.
Old 01 February 2016, 08:11   #6

Mollers, looking forward to seeing what we stumble across as well, until now I have only been able to putt about in a tiny tender from home on the tide and use arm power in a kayak so looking forward to getting hold of the new boat to go further afield!
Old 01 February 2016, 08:16   #7

Been holidaying in Coverack with various boats for the best part of 50 years on & off! (I was very young when I first went )
The author of the Mullion books is an old friend, trout fishing buddy & former colleague who moved there around 10 years ago - having holidayed in Mullion for many years prior to that.
Old 01 February 2016, 08:41   #8

That's a fair few years! Am going to start a 'To do' list for of places to go and keep note when I do them...sounds like I won't run out of destinations!!
Old 01 February 2016, 09:11   #9

Which Falcon have you got?
Old 01 February 2016, 09:24   #10

I have bought a falcon 450L...and am picking up late March. Researched for a long long time, and committed at Southampton boat show, seems best all round value and quality...started off looking at usual suspects, Avon/Rib-X, but all would have been a good 5k more for what I have ended up with...only time will tell though!! Am dipping my toes in the water for boat ownership really as I've only ever had fletcher a etc years ago....