Old 21 September 2024, 16:58   #21

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I think the internet has changed the shape of many types of consumer show. It’s now become a showcase for manufacturers rather than retailers. You go, browse the products on the manufacturer’s stand, touch, play & then come home & find the cheapest deals online. No retailer can compete with that considering the costs of having a stand at the show.
Yup that is exactly what is happening. We just consider it a day out combined with some sort of boating in the Hamble area
Old 02 October 2024, 17:41   #22

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
I went along to the show for a second year running. I left the show last year feeling a little underwhelmed, if I'm to be honest.....but it has to be said, that the rib manufacturer's put on a good showing. I left wondering as it was the first proper show since covid, that this year may be better....nope..next to no Chandlers and very little equipment on sale.
I did say hello to Dave Cockwell ( those that watch HD will know him) and I assured him that as soon as my numbers come up, I will put my order in for a Dutchy 45.
So in short I spent all day walking around looking at stuff that I could never afford...a type of self harm lol.
It took me over an hour to get out of Southampton and to top the day off, a lady in an Audi decided that a Give way sign didn't mean an awful lot to her and subsequently wrote my BMW off arrrrgh....didn't get home until 10pm
The worst part is that having attained tickets to Harry Dwyers home coming I have no bloody car to tow my boat with....well ain't life grand....I knew I should have stayed home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240921_160507~2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	146309  
Old 02 October 2024, 17:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
One exhibitor that explained things and took an interest even though I told him I wasn't in the market for a new outboard (perhaps because the stand was empty) was Selva.
What's the deal with them in the UK, why don't we see them that often? They look good quality (could be superficial), very good price and a 5 year warranty. I don't know enough about outboards to really comment, but are we missing a trick here.
I spoke to the same chap....I think he was just glad to talk to someone. He explained to me that basically the Selva was a yamaha in disguise and that he would give me 2k in part exchange on my optimax...bringing the cost down to around 7k not bad these day's. Have his card somewhere.
Old 02 October 2024, 17:51   #24

The same thing is happening at the boatlife show in Birmingham....Greedy NEC pricing them out of the show.
Old 02 October 2024, 19:58   #25

We had an excellent Day at the show. Loads to see and very interesting
Old 02 October 2024, 20:54   #26

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
I spoke to the same chap....I think he was just glad to talk to someone. He explained to me that basically the Selva was a yamaha in disguise and that he would give me 2k in part exchange on my optimax...bringing the cost down to around 7k not bad these day's. Have his card somewhere.
What size of engine?
Old 02 October 2024, 22:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
What size of engine?
The 90hp
Old 02 October 2024, 23:08   #28

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
I went along to the show for a second year running. I left the show last year feeling a little underwhelmed, if I'm to be honest.....but it has to be said, that the rib manufacturer's put on a good showing. I left wondering as it was the first proper show since covid, that this year may be better....nope..next to no Chandlers and very little equipment on sale.
I did say hello to Dave Cockwell ( those that watch HD will know him) and I assured him that as soon as my numbers come up, I will put my order in for a Dutchy 45.
So in short I spent all day walking around looking at stuff that I could never afford...a type of self harm lol.
It took me over an hour to get out of Southampton and to top the day off, a lady in an Audi decided that a Give way sign didn't mean an awful lot to her and subsequently wrote my BMW off arrrrgh....didn't get home until 10pm
The worst part is that having attained tickets to Harry Dwyers home coming I have no bloody car to tow my boat with....well ain't life grand....I knew I should have stayed home.
Your having some real bad luck this year, hope you get the car sorted okay. We were disappointed with the show last year so didn't bother this year & looks like it was a good move. There's only so much pleasure to be derived from looking at stuff you cant afford. I always like to buy something but all the smaller stalls are being priced out of the game . Terminal decline imho
Old 02 October 2024, 23:28   #29

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Is Boatlife at the NEC much different than the SBS? Are there more smaller boats, chandlers etc, or is it very much the same?
Old 03 October 2024, 05:25   #30

Quote:
Is Boatlife at the NEC much different than the SBS? Are there more smaller boats, chandlers etc, or is it very much the same?
Yes it is very different. First all indoors and many smaller boats and stuff. We think it is well worth a visit. We had Covid last year so did not go. We went in 2023 and below should you you a good idea of what it is like

Old 03 October 2024, 05:26   #31

It is in our view a nice kick start to the Season after the long dull winter months
Old 03 October 2024, 14:05   #32

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I've been meaning to get to Boatlife for a number of years and not yet made it.

Perhaps I'll try again in 2025.

Unfortunately the NEC always brings back memories of an aborted trip to Motorcycle live a few years ago when it took us 4hrs to get from Petersfield to Oxford because of traffic chaos on the A34.
Then looking at the traffic reports of the M40 and surrounding roads being at a standstill because of an accident we had a good Brunch and turned for home.
Old 03 October 2024, 16:47   #33

If you time your visit you can stay in a Travel Lodge on a Sunday night for £30. So Travel on Sunday, Stay over and then go to the Show on Monday then off home after the Show
Old 03 October 2024, 17:26   #34

Quote:
Is Boatlife at the NEC much different than the SBS? Are there more smaller boats, chandlers, etc, or is it very much the same?
Dennis just about nailed it..." A good start to the season."

Not too many chandlers, though, as is often the way as it's super expensive to have a stand.

I like it because it's more intimate and relaxed....no hard selling...plus I would say Ribs are one of the biggest parts of the show.

I have been going since it's inception and last year, I have to say it was a backwards step....but I'm hoping it was just a wobble.

What else are you going to be doing on a cold wet February.

Let me know if you're planning on going and I will try and hook up with you.
Old 03 October 2024, 20:15   #35

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Let me know if you're planning on going and I will try and hook up with you.
It would be nice to meet up. I'll PM you sometime in January. I fancy going just to see the difference between it and the SBS & I've definitely got the "I need a new SIB" urge.