Click Here to Login

Old 28 April 2015, 22:18   #1

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Steering cable routing out of console

Ok, those of you crawling the entire forum will know I'm in the middle of a bit of a PITA keyhole surgery kind of a steering cable change.

Whilst the battery is out of my console, I am giving semi serious thought to re- routing the steering cable. At the moment it comes out the wheel, does s slight double kink and turns aft at I suspect slightly too small a radius at just below seat level and passes through the mortal remains of a 2" rubber grommet which was the only cable exit / entry hole to the console. I assume the idea of this was to keep the battery etc dry as said hole is reasonably sheltered under the seat and above the flooded waterline.

I am thinking of re -routing it by drilling a hole in the rear of the floor of the pod (still a good 18" above deck level and only about 2" above the old hole). This should
a) make cable installation / replacement easier
b) increase the bend radius substantially (thus reduce wear and hopefully the number of times I have to do this)
c) theoretically make the console a tad less water resistant.

Does anyone have one of the old school style Humber consoles with the steering cable heading out vertically into the fuel tank space below?

If I'm going to drill this hole (uh-oh..... hole drilling thread alert!!!! ) I'm going to have to do it tomorrow night.

Logical thought tells me it's a low risk situation (I've been swamped once - ever - and the height above floor difference of the current & proposed holes is pretty negligible, and the nearest electrical thing is a good 4" above the old hole but as per I am curious what everyone else has done....

Thanks.
Old 29 April 2015, 04:10   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
If there's a hole drilling alert issued, we need pictures.